help with a book

Philip550

Hey all, I've written a book and looking for someone to assist in minor editing but mostly advise. I need someone who is familiar with Thailand and its culture and who of course likes to read. The subject of this book is loosely based on a case that I worked

just prior to my retirement from law enforcement. In a nutshell...the story is regarding a Thai girl, age 18 that married an

American bad guy,a true sociopath that is now in jail for 40 flat years. He drags her around the world committing high crimes and

misdemeanors (including child molestation,gun running and murder) It's really her story, of terror, abuse and her many escape

attempts.

I'm now at about 190,000 words and expect to be done soon. It's the first draft so still pretty rough. I'm interested more in

terms of your opinions and contextual suggestions rather than an editing process. I can't offer you anything but my sincere

gratitude and a mention in the book if it ever gets published (ha fat chance). I would only send a few chapters at a time, to readat your leisure, so as not to burden you.

If interested please let me know and thanks for your consideration....Phil

To both Sea Stallion and Sigurris....I'm not even sure how this forum works regarding getting back to you. Thanks so much for your offers of assistance. I will take whatever help you can give me from just your thoughts like "This chapter is boring,
hard to follow, this Thai word is incorrect...all the way up to some real proof reading and editing. This book has been a laborof love for the past two years and since I'm not a "real writer" any help you can give me is really appreciated.
My e-mail is (edited)

Drop me a line and I will send you some info on myself and the first couple chapters...I have a feeling that you both will not be shy in telling me what sucks and what doesn't and that's exactly what I want.
Thanks again
Philip

(Please use the PM function to contact the OP. He can then give his e-mail address there.)

Edited by bonobo
removed e-mail address

To both Sea Stallion and Sigurris....I'm not even sure how this forum works regarding getting back to you. Thanks so much for your offers of assistance. I will take whatever help you can give me from just your thoughts like "This chapter is boring,

hard to follow, this Thai word is incorrect...all the way up to some real proof reading and editing. This book has been a laborof love for the past two years and since I'm not a "real writer" any help you can give me is really appreciated.

My e-mail is

Drop me a line and I will send you some info on myself and the first couple chapters...I have a feeling that you both will not be shy in telling me what sucks and what doesn't and that's exactly what I want.

Thanks again

Philip

See the red number on the "envelope" icon, top right of the screen? That's a PM...click on it.

Before anyone starts I know I've just said something stupid

No, look up John Burdett. He has written nice books about a policedetective named Somchai as being the main character Quite a number of books. A nice read.

Edited by benalibina

Your project sounds interesting. I would gladly give you any advice that I could. My background may or may not be relevant to the kind of book you are working on.

I do consider myself "...familiar with Thailand and its culture" having spent most of my adult life here.

Arriving in 1978, I have lived in Bangkok, Pattaya, and Ban Chang on the gulf coast. After going to Chiang Mai with a film crew in 1979 to play a small part in a Thai movie; I returned and settled down - more or less... eventually marrying and becoming the head of a household.

As a graphic artist I take a keen interest in the traditions, culture, and history of the country, especially the north.

What may be related to your book is my ongoing study of the ways farangs [westerners] have influenced and changed Thailand since the early 16th century until the present day. Both for the better and for the worse.

I arrived at a time when the scene here could be described as something like the Wild West. Many areas in the north and northeast were controlled by communist insurgents. The resident farangs were a diverse lot. Many of them reprobates, living it up with no visible means of support. People like Charles Sobhraj and Ajay Chowdury were the avant garde of todays Russian mafia, African con-artists, and other disreputables who infest certain areas of Bangkok, Pattaya, and Phuket.

The major demographic change I've seen in Chiang Mai has been the massive influx of retirees. It has become an elephant's burial ground to rival South Florida. Their presence here in such large numbers has created an atmosphere not unlike a suburban housing development in the US. Law-abiding, opinionated people who have all the answers. They did their travelling too late in life. They should have seen the world with young eyes.

That said, there is still a good deal of diversity here. It's a great place to live, with a lot going for it.

If you think that I could be of any help, send me a PM and I'll do what I can.

Good luck with the success of your book.