What visa when looking for job?

I live and work in Thailand legally, have a small family ( non Thai wife, working, a young baby).

Imagine a situation I lose or want to change my job. Work permit gone, visa gone. What then? Do I have to leave the country? What visa do I get to go back to my family?

I went through this situation a few times before. Was forced to do a number of visa runs while waiting for documents from my new employers, labour offices to process the papers, immigration to make up their minds. There is no lack of different stamps in my passport. And now, with the current crackdown on via runs, people with tourist visas not allowed into Thailand things seem to get more complicated.

It would best to get a tourist visa.

Since you would of just finished working here with an extension of stay all your previous history of stamps would not be looked at.

Hopefully all the nonsense at the southern border crossings will get settled out shortly. But for now just be prepared to show 20K baht on entry.

I am in this exact situation now (lost job in Feb) and currently on a double entry Tourist visa which will come to an end at the end of August, I will then go back to Laos for my next (hopefully) double entry....

How does your non Thai wife remain working when you have to leave the country. She has the correct visa and WP? You cannot become a dependent visa wise on her permission to stay?

I'm the same situation - left my job to get better job - served my notice and as soon as I did and work permit and visa cancelled - then new job cancelled offer after following their instructions and had contract - did 7 day extension and then went to Laos - I have to renew extension on 1st august at immigration - where do go from there? If no new job?

How does your non Thai wife remain working when you have to leave the country. She has the correct visa and WP? You cannot become a dependent visa wise on her permission to stay?

My bad - by wife I meant long term girlfriend, just like wife but no no papers. And, yes, she works legally, but I don't think I can be her defendant if we're not officially married.