Driving a Thai car in Myanmar

oldsailor35

They driveon the oppsite side

I know this,i have actually been to Myanmar previously, but are we allowed to take a Thai car into Myanmar and tour with it.

Edited by oldsailor35

I know this,i have actually been to Myanmar previously, but are we allowed to take a Thai car into Myanmar and tour with it.

PattayaPhom, most Burmese vehicles have their steering wheels on the right side too and the only reason they drive on the right to begin with is some idiotic dictator back in 1970 decided to consult a fortune teller who told him to "move right". So he did.

oldsailor35, Thai cars can travel in/out of Mae Sot to Myawady for the day only, no more than 12km inside the country without getting special permission. At Mae Sai, they can travel around Tachilek only without restrictions for up to 14 days.

Otherwise, you'll need to go on a tour. It appears there is a tour running almost every week or two, crossing from either Phu Nam Ron or Mae Sot into Myanmar. To conduct a tour, get in touch with a Thailand or Myanmar based agent (the Thai ones are cheaper and more experienced). Look at the Myanmar forum as there is a thread discussing this very topic right now.

PattayaPhom, most Burmese vehicles have their steering wheels on the right side too and the only reason they drive on the right to begin with is some idiotic dictator back in 1970 decided to consult a fortune teller who told him to "move right". So he did.

oldsailor35, Thai cars can travel in/out of Mae Sot to Myawady for the day only, no more than 12km inside the country without getting special permission. At Mae Sai, they can travel around Tachilek only without restrictions for up to 14 days.

Otherwise, you'll need to go on a tour. It appears there is a tour running almost every week or two, crossing from either Phu Nam Ron or Mae Sot into Myanmar. To conduct a tour, get in touch with a Thailand or Myanmar based agent (the Thai ones are cheaper and more experienced). Look at the Myanmar forum as there is a thread discussing this very topic right now.

Thank you Tom for that very intelligent and informative reply.

• Like 1