Man arrested with war weapons at a Bangkok Chidlom condominium

webfact

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pedantic again I know - but what is a weapon if not for War?

For hunting? For protection? For competition?

For fighting off an alien predator?

Or anti government protesters.

• Like 1

Silencer on an M16 will only work at the shooters end.

Anyone who has ever been shot at by a high caliber firearm or been in the butts at a rifle range will tell you there are two bangs for every shot.

One (the second) is the actual rifle being fired, the first is the projectile passing at above the speed of sound, as in breaking the sound barrier.

You can get low power 22 amo that can be silenced but as far as I know not 222 which is the amo used in a M16.

Anyway great to get even more weapons off the streets.

Isn't there a 3rd bang with an M16, as it implodes the stomach or skull? whistling.gif

Think that is explodes.

M16 uses .223 calibre or 5.56mm Rounds.

With a suppressor you hear the mechanical action of the firing pin hitting the primer and the projectile zinging through the air, then the bones cracking of the animal you hit.

At the M-16 fire rate on auto -- 3000 rounds is what? A two minute party and a half-melted magazine?

I have to wonder at all this sudden glamor. When they raked in mortars and grenades I was happy and impressed. Thais can't even drive a car much less be trusted to use ordnance with any skill.

Satchaya who claimed to be a secretary of NCPO was charged with illegal possession of war weapons.

What????? Serious. This guy claims to be involved with the Junta and is arrested and it made the news? So to get this straight we have the DEM's that have criticized the Junta and it made the news. Today we have had the ex government run by an unelectable criticizing the Junta and it made the news.

​Seems more and more likely that the 200 000 illegal workers from Cambodia are not actually Junta actors trying to ensure a propaganda narrative. Seems more and more likely the news stories are true. Seems more and more likely the weapons hauls are not a figment of our imagination as yingluck suggested inflation was.

I for one am glad more weapons are off the street and I will denounce, belittle, demonize and condescend anyone that stored them whether they be RS's, PDRC or NCPO supporters. They are more weapons off the streets.

One thing you will not see me do is brush it aside and say "Private ownership of guns should be outlawed" They are trying to brush over the fact the Junta are not biased yet the the first ones to point out a perceived bias in an hour, a day or a week after this OP showed there is none. Remember the goldfish folks. The memory if goldfish.

Well done Junta for showing you are not biased and will arrest anyone that is guilty.

I hope they throw him away for a long time if guilty of trying to attack RS's or innocent people.

Edited by djjamie

At the M-16 fire rate on auto -- 3000 rounds is what? A two minute party and a half-melted magazine?

I have to wonder at all this sudden glamor. When they raked in mortars and grenades I was happy and impressed. Thais can't even drive a car much less be trusted to use ordnance with any skill.

This is a lot of weapons to have in a condo.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Anyone who has ever been shot at by a high caliber firearm or been in the butts at a rifle range will tell you there are two bangs for every shot.

One (the second) is the actual rifle being fired, the first is the projectile passing at above the speed of sound, as in breaking the sound barrier.

You can get low power 22 amo that can be silenced but as far as I know not 222 which is the amo used in a M16.

Allow me to correct you, .222Rem, as its magnum version, are both 'civilian calibers' (not used by armies), and not used in a M16 or Tavor (or any other light army rifle I know of), while those will chamber the .223Rem which is identical to the 5.56mm NATO 'war caliber', and as such prohibited for civilians' use in many countries, in the same way as .308Win, being identical to 7.62mm NATO, or the older .30.06Springfield as a matter of fact. As for what silencers are concerned, you might not have had the opportunity to witness the 'progresses' which have been made in noise reduction in this century, awsome, and frightening. Sub-sonic ammunition still remaining the most easy to 'silence', as you are rightly alluding to.

• Like 1

Any ammo can be made "sub sonic" (muzzle velocity below speed of sound)

Bullet drop would be bigger, range shorter, but nevertheless silenced.

You'l hear the sound of trigger break, the hit from the firing pin on the primer, and a bit later the impct of the bullet on the target...

Those were the days.... hunting varmint with a silencer....

Civilian versions of 'war weapons' do not have the ability to 'select fire' three round bursts nor fully automatic. Civilian versions of 'war weapons' are used for sport shooting, hunting, and collecting. In Texas, and the US in general, there are many people who use those civilian versions for 'all of the above' and there are no wars in the US since 1865. In a war, a cheap pistol, shotgun, or even a knife could become a 'war weapon'. Stop being pedantic and enjoy your life. Nit picking will eventually turn you sour.

• Like 2

Isn't there a 3rd bang with an M16, as it implodes the stomach or skull? whistling.gif

Think that is explodes.

It does neither. It tumbles, causing injury. A dead soldier does not engage his fellow soldiers but an injured soldier will tie up at least two of his fellow soldiers to attend his wounds and get him off the field of battle. During the Rodney King Riots in Los Angeles, a fireman was struck in the neck by a round from an M-16 (.223 caliber) and it didn't kill him. BTW, the sound, when striking a body, is more of a soft thud and you have to be very close to hear it.

• Like 1

Allow me to correct you, .222Rem, as its magnum version, are both 'civilian calibers' (not used by armies), and not used in a M16 or Tavor (or any other light army rifle I know of), while those will chamber the .223Rem which is identical to the 5.56mm NATO 'war caliber', and as such prohibited for civilians' use in many countries, in the same way as .308Win, being identical to 7.62mm NATO, or the older .30.06Springfield as a matter of fact. As for what silencers are concerned, you might not have had the opportunity to witness the 'progresses' which have been made in noise reduction in this century, awsome, and frightening. Sub-sonic ammunition still remaining the most easy to 'silence', as you are rightly alluding to.

222 and 223 are transferable and can both be used in the same weapon, 5.56 is only another name for both. Those used for hunting are called 222 while the military call them 223 or 5.56.

222 rem magnum is a different thing again with a larger case and a more powerful charge.

The same goes for 308 and 7.62 nato .

30.30 is a completely different caliber and the cartridge case and ballistics are completely different, not transferable with 308.

In NZ all animals in the wild are introduced and considered noxious and are therefor hunted legally, I was one of those hunters from as soon as I was old enough to get a forearms license.

Shhhhh Were Hunting Rabbits!!!!!!!

please excuse me being pedantic, but "Shhh. Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting wabbits" wink.png

• Like 1

If hes a collector and part of the NCPO surely he must have a licence. Interesting the police are charging him anyway. Could this be the police sending a message to others ?

A whole lot more to this than meets the eye.

Could this man be an imposter? Just claiming in the Thai manner of "do you know who I am"?

Certainly I hope the police sends a message that that type of conduct is no longer either appreciated or tolerated.

"However, he declined to give any more information to the police and refused to attend a press conference held today by the police, claiming that he wanted to consult his lawyer."

Arrested and then let go? Someone who knows someone?

It doesn't say anything about him being let go. He just didn't want to attend a press conference where everyone points at him.

"However, he declined to give any more information to the police and refused to attend a press conference held today by the police, claiming that he wanted to consult his lawyer."

Arrested and then let go? Someone who knows someone?

It doesn't say anything about him being let go. He just didn't want to attend a press conference where everyone points at him.

I merely posed the questions.

But, if he was in police custody I would have thought there would be no choice about "attending a press conference"?

Weapons and ammo like this are expensive and it takes a few common elements to have such a cache.

Connected to influential people like local politicians, Kamnans, Nai Amphurs, high-ranking police and army personnel etc.

Being wealthy like a politician (or his sons), drug lord, gambling den owner and all those hi-so brats.

Most of us know that all those Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche owners all carry guns because they have both money and know people.

Silencers are a step up and can be obtained if you "know the right people" who are usually those in the armed forces, police and customs etc.

It is a well known fact that Panthongtae, Thaksin's son was an avid shooter who tried his hand at IPSC.

Chalerm's sons are fanatical gun collectors themselves with one of his son enlisting as an officer and undergoing sniper training with special forces.

Their cache is legendary but they would never get arrested.

My point is anybody who is a big shot/legend-in-his-own-mind most likely has a similar cache of weapons and packs heat.

Its sort of the small phallus compensation thing to feel powerful and above the law so best not to go all road rage when you see a rich kid in a fancy car blasting his horn at you to get out of his way. I saw a german gentlemen get all furious at a porsche owner for cutting his superbike off who went ballistic by walking up and yelling at the guy only for his face to turn pale when the dude opened his window and stuck something at him.

Ruins gun ownership for legit people who enjoy the sport but Thailand is still all about who you know and what you can pay.

Condos around Chidlom are pretty expensive. Unfortunately for this guy someone ratted him out.

Edited by smileydude

If hes a collector and part of the NCPO surely he must have a licence. Interesting the police are charging him anyway. Could this be the police sending a message to others ?

A whole lot more to this than meets the eye.

Could this man be an imposter? Just claiming in the Thai manner of "do you know who I am"?

Certainly I hope the police sends a message that that type of conduct is no longer either appreciated or tolerated.

More likely the guy is an actor to play the role of "evil red shirt terrorist" in the play called "Let's Take Back the Country", written and directed by the Thai Military.

Robby nz, on 16 Jul 2014 - 17:10, said:

And sometimes you don't hear the bangs at all, that's when the aiming was perfect. sad.png