Thai Foreign Ministry cautions against traveling to war-torn Iraq

webfact

Foreign Ministry cautions against traveling to war-torn Iraq

BANGKOK, 17 July 2014 (NNT) - The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is cautioning Thai nationals against traveling to Iraq due to outbreaks of violence in the Middle East country.

Parts of Iraq were recently captured by the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS), an extremist Sunni Islamist militant group that is considered so violent it has been disavowed by its original sponsor, Al Qaeda.

Violence broke out in many major cities including Anbar, Kirbuk and capital Baghdad.

The ministry is urging Thai citizens to delay their plans to visit the country for the time being until the situation returns to normal.

As for Thai nationals residing in Iraq, the ministry advised them to closely monitor the situation and to avoid traveling to war-torn areas at all costs. They are urged to contact Royal Thai Embassy in Amman, Jordan in case of an emergency.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-07-17 footer_n.gif

When I worked in Iraq, after the 1st Gulf War, many locals said that quite a few Thais had worked in the country. A number as domestic workers and Thai females were in demand for massages as well.

Scott:

Dude, you are soooooo right! We should do a road trip! I mean we've been talking about overthrowing the Western governments for the longest time, and this is our chance to do it! I say we take the '63 Thunderbird, drop the top and just roll.

• Like 1

Well, at least this was marginally quicker that the handing over of radar info regarding that missing plane. Perhaps a bit more international news (there's a whole 'nother world out there) might help some of the more on the ball to connect the dots and say "gee, maybe I could get killed there!".

Well, at least this was marginally quicker that the handing over of radar info regarding that missing plane. Perhaps a bit more international news (there's a whole 'nother world out there) might help some of the more on the ball to connect the dots and say "gee, maybe I could get killed there!".

Worth a reminder that the man who couldn't figure out to hand over the radar info is the second in command of the entire country. But I'm sure nothing will go wrong that that, either.