a heads up over visa shops

a friend who lives by me has asked me my advice over his visa application, he told me he used a shop

opposite a very popular supermarket in south pattaya.

he has said he gave the shop 18k and his passport nearly two weeks ago and says they keep making

excuses, on Friday I accompanied him to this shop and they asked if he had proof of where he was

staying, I thought it was strange to wait two weeks and then ask for these details.

I also noticed the shop manager had 30 + other visa forms in a bundle along with my friends forms

i have contacted another agent and have been told there is no holdup at soi five.

but just a warning be very careful if you are thinking of using a visa shop.

Bring an happy end to this tale, tell us that your friend, his passport and the 18K are now reunited.

Even better tell us that he will get an extension of stay in a legal way and will not feed corruption.

Paying 18k baht is a clear indication it is going to be an under the table extension of some kind.

He should try get his 18k and passport back and do it the proper way by doing it himself.

If he cannot get the 18k baht back he should get his passport back and call it a lesson learned.

• Like 1

This is exactly would i told in another thread to somebody who says everything no probs with visa, he gives everything to an agent and everything will be fine - the times changed, the agents are as jobless as all many of the visa border run drivers now. I guess the guys are as confused with the situation as anyone and so they not admit it this time, they just try to keep business as usual, collect the passports and the money, but they can't find a way through the stricter laws.

As I see it, the "stricter rules" are aimed at Overstayers and in/out "eternal Tourists".

So far, nothing has come up that would indicate that visa-shops are on the radar.

Cheers.

I think what he meant was that they may not be able to do the under the table extensions as easy because of greater scrutiny at immigration.

In the present climate/regime he must be very naive or stupid.

Why are those the only two possibilities ? How about 'desperate' ? Putting the guy down when he's clearly going through a tough time does no one any favors - I've used an 'agent' in Penang for years without a single problem - it was only when things changed that I dragged my sorry butt to Jomtien and did the 'right' thing.