Bangkok Morchit 2 bus terminal to be moved

webfact

Ekamai should be moved. It is a decrepit hole that is too small for purpose.

Ekkamai will also be moved to Bang Na, on some land diagonally opposite BITEC. The Mall Group is going to build the largest shopping Center in asia, the appropriately named Empire Mall, on the large parcel of land opp BITEC on Bang Na-Trad rd (NE corner). It will have a link with the BTS

The land (approx 15 acres) that the MOT has proposed to move the Eastern Bus Terminal is located directly adjacent to this development on Bang Na - Trad rd. However, there are some access issues that need to be addressed with The Mall Group and the MOT is negotiating with them about integrating the projects so that essentially The Mall Group gives the MOT some of its land. They may consider a land swap with Ekkamai as well. There are no draft designs or renders that I am aware of.

It makes sense to move these buses from Ekkamai closer to the Expressway. That gives them quicker access to the main rd & Expressway whilst also getting buses off the already congested parts of Sukhumvit.

That's not as bad as I thought. However linking it to the BTS is going to take some lengthy overhead walkways. Bangna-Trad, Sukumvit corner is about mid way between Bangna & Udomsuk BTS stations.

It'll also need an overpass from the inward lanes to the new bus station. Wonder when this is going to happen.

Nothing is going to occur until and agreement can be reached and access and integration issues can be resolved.

Apart from a link via Empire Mall which I am sure The Mall group will make it easy (install walkways?) and air conditioned to the Sukhumvit line station. It will most likely be shorter than the proposed 700m walkway from the river to BTS Surasak station once Saphan Taksin station (S5) is demolished.

Also, don't forget that the long term plan mid next decade is to build a 20km, 12 station BTS Spur line from the Bang Na junction to the yet to be built Southern Terminal of BKK Airport (Phase IV project). The Southern Terminal will be a duplicate of the current terminal

Empire is all about location, location, locations. Ditto for the new Eastern Bus Terminal. Both will be well positioned and well connected to mass transit lines if done right.

The proposed sites are just horrible locations. Too far away from the people who will be wanting to use the bus service. Maybe out by the new airport would be better, at least there, there is the airport link to move people around quickly. Heck, might even make the airport link profitable. Of course, it would be necessary to extend the airport link so it actually connected to the bus terminal and was convenient for people. You know, actually THINK and PLAN AHEAD. Oh dear, I am dreaming again.

But I suppose the bigger question is, where would you find 100 rai of land closer to the city center? I don't know how big it is, but the huge patch of SRT land at Makasan comes to mind. whistling.gif

"....the huge patch of SRT land at Makasan comes to mind"

Wot! Are you mad? That land is sorely needed for a mega shopping centre. Much more important than a bus terminal for the benefit of the hoi polloi to travel. No, No, No, must be away from the city's valuable land. One day Ekkamai and the eastern terminal will also fall victim to planning madness.wink.png

Totally disagree.

It has been tarted up a bit but its appearance is irrelevant. It is perfectly placed on Sukhumvit and feeds quite smoothly into the Bangna-Trad highway. It has the BTS and many busses passing its door.

IMO it would be a travesty to move it - there's enough half-empty building monstrosities all around it.

Sometimes it takes longer to get to the expressway than it does to get from there to Chonburi.

Of course, if they had half a brain cell, they'd have put a link road from the back of the bus station to the expressway 20 years ago. Sadly..................................

Ekkamai will also be moved to Bang Na, on some land diagonally opposite BITEC. The Mall Group is going to build the largest shopping Center in asia, the appropriately named Empire Mall, on the large parcel of land opp BITEC on Bang Na-Trad rd (NE corner). It will have a link with the BTS

The land (approx 15 acres) that the MOT has proposed to move the Eastern Bus Terminal is located directly adjacent to this development on Bang Na - Trad rd. However, there are some access issues that need to be addressed with The Mall Group and the MOT is negotiating with them about integrating the projects so that essentially The Mall Group gives the MOT some of its land. They may consider a land swap with Ekkamai as well. There are no draft designs or renders that I am aware of.

It makes sense to move these buses from Ekkamai closer to the Expressway. That gives them quicker access to the main rd & Expressway whilst also getting buses off the already congested parts of Sukhumvit.

That's not as bad as I thought. However linking it to the BTS is going to take some lengthy overhead walkways. Bangna-Trad, Sukumvit corner is about mid way between Bangna & Udomsuk BTS stations.

It'll also need an overpass from the inward lanes to the new bus station. Wonder when this is going to happen.

Nothing is going to occur until and agreement can be reached and access and integration issues can be resolved.

Apart from a link via Empire Mall which I am sure The Mall group will make it easy (install walkways?) and air conditioned to the Sukhumvit line station. It will most likely be shorter than the proposed 700m walkway from the river to BTS Surasak station once Saphan Taksin station (S5) is demolished.

Also, don't forget that the long term plan mid next decade is to build a 20km, 12 station BTS Spur line from the Bang Na junction to the yet to be built Southern Terminal of BKK Airport (Phase IV project). The Southern Terminal will be a duplicate of the current terminal

Empire is all about location, location, locations. Ditto for the new Eastern Bus Terminal. Both will be well positioned and well connected to mass transit lines if done right.

<The Southern Terminal will be a duplicate of the current terminal>

That's really clever. Copy a badly designed piece of c**p instead of learning from their mistakes. TiT.

Locating the bus station on the edge of town makes good sense from the points of view that a.) the requisite sized piece of land will be much easier to find and cheaper to buy and develop, and b.) because the departing buses won't have to battle their way through city traffic to get to the highways they need.

However, if it is located out of town, then it is essential that it is serviced by either sky train or metro, (or even by a dedicated rail link, although going by my experiences of the time trains take to get from DM to Hualamphong, I'm not sure that would work) so that bus passengers have easy and immediate access to other parts of the city. If it's stuck out on its own with only taxi access, then it will be a chaotic mess.

You forget that the south bus terminal is far away without mass transit links and that works.

The south bus terminal is a pain to get to, and is a chaotic mess.

Locating the bus station on the edge of town makes good sense from the points of view that a.) the requisite sized piece of land will be much easier to find and cheaper to buy and develop, and b.) because the departing buses won't have to battle their way through city traffic to get to the highways they need.

However, if it is located out of town, then it is essential that it is serviced by either sky train or metro, (or even by a dedicated rail link, although going by my experiences of the time trains take to get from DM to Hualamphong, I'm not sure that would work) so that bus passengers have easy and immediate access to other parts of the city. If it's stuck out on its own with only taxi access, then it will be a chaotic mess.

You forget that the south bus terminal is far away without mass transit links and that works.

The south bus terminal is a pain to get to, and is a chaotic mess.

Why? I get on a local bus and get off there. No hassles.

Yes, it's not well designed, but neither is the present Morchit.

Edited by thaibeachlovers