34,000 cases of HFMD reported in Thailand so far

webfact

34,000 cases of HFMD reported in Thailand so far

BANGKOK, 24 July 2014 (NNT) – The Ministry of Public Health stated that 34,000 cases of hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) have been reported in Thailand so far this year.

Permanent Secretary for Public Health Dr. Narong Saha-methapat said the figure is rising every year despite tighter surveillance, control, and treatment of HFMD across the country. Cases have been detected in all provinces of the kingdom.

HFMD is a contagious illness that is caused by different viruses. Infants and children younger than 5 years old are more likely to contract this disease than older children.

The Ministry is urging health offices, teachers, and daycare staff to closely monitor young children for symptoms such as fever, ulcers in the throat, mouth, and tongue, as well as blistering rashes on their palms and soles. Teachers and parents are advised to contact health offices in their respective areas for further instructions.

The ministry noted that frequent hand washing and disinfecting of surface areas inside buildings, as well as tools, toys, and utility items, can help prevent the spread of HFMD. Children with HFMD should be kept home for one week or until they completely recover from the disease.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-07-24 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

"Children with HFMD should be kept home for one week or until they completely recover from the disease." Considering a lot of parents see junior school as a sort of day care they won't be to happy having dek hanging aroud the som tam cart.

• Like 1

OK - found it myself in Thai Wikipedia. Sorry to bother everyone. It's 'rok meua, tao le pak', caused by intestinal viruses of the picornaviridae family. Not usually serious, prevalent in children under five years of age.

My 3 y/o had it last week. So did a few other kids in kinder garden so they closed up for a week and disinfected everything in the classroom. I was pretty impressed with the way they dealt with it. Anubahn School Sukhothai.

My youngest had it ovrr a year ago. He lost a huge amount of weight as he could not eat for a week. Most of the children in his class contracted it by all using the same water drinking metal cup.. Nothing has changed at the school. Terrible disease to contract. It can come back again as it is a Herpes virus..

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Chicken George

How about local cases of foot-in-mouth disease? I've encountered quite a few of those over the years.

there are a lot of TV members who suffer from head up arse disease on a regular basis

Yeah you in Particular

Well done DK, a reasonable retort for once, take you while to come up with that one did it ?... give you 5/10 for effort , but I am begining to get the feeling you are stalking me ?.... I am flattered, but can assure you, your not my type dear boy.wink.png

Maybe I could humbly suggest you purchase a TGAU to keep you company thumbsup.gif

How about local cases of foot-in-mouth disease? I've encountered quite a few of those over the years.

there are a lot of TV members who suffer from head up arse disease on a regular basis

For an expat to live in Thailand successfully, you need to learn how to walk backwards with your head buried up your arse, then you will fit right in with the locals.