Do you wear motorbike protection and does it really help?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cannot promise much but one company that I work with is thinking of developing jeans trousers, and other denim clothing that would protect motorcycle riders more than the average clothing while not costing much more than an average jeans or jacket you by at any shopping mall.

I love to to hear what people think about this...?

To be clear this will never be a replacement of real motorcycle protective clothing, it gives protection to the average budget Thai rider...

More options is always a good thing. But ...

In the real world, when people are involved in accidents, they usually hit another vehicle. The best protective clothing in the world will not save you in this case. Knee armor saves your knee while your leg is broken, or your hip, or your back, or ribs.

Only when you go down and slide along the ground without hitting another vehicle, or a sign, or a guardrail will protective clothing help you. Lessen the abrasion, and the initial impact.

I wear the gear, as past experience - splitting a helmet right down the middle from forehead to neck - saved my life.

But do not expect miracles.

The best protective device is inside your helmet.

I disagree.

A helmet is essential.

Other clothing really is even on a scooter.

I was involved in a scooter + car accident in Australia. Slid up to the windshiled had the bike thrown about 25 metres and me 20. Lost my leg and hip and had a severely broken pelvis I was only wearing ordinary shoes and trousers.  Got a fractured arm as I hit the ground saved mostly by the rubber padding in the elbow pads of the new motorcycle jacket I had just bought.  Otherwise not a scratch.  Clothing is definitely worth it even for a scooter.

I cannot promise much but one company that I work with is thinking of developing jeans trousers, and other denim clothing that would protect motorcycle riders more than the average clothing while not costing much more than an average jeans or jacket you by at any shopping mall.

To be clear this will never be a replacement of real motorcycle protective clothing, it gives protection to the average budget Thai rider...

i say why not?

as long as it has proper protection, a strong denim and a nice price!

i say why not?

There's a growing range of Kevlar lined or woven Kevlar/denim jeans now - but they all seem have the same problems:

- Too hot - lighter colour and with vents would be good.

- No zip pockets - we need somewhere secure for wallet, licence, phone etc - why not have cargo pockets with secure closures so we can store some stuff without having to sit on a wallet?

- No convertible option - a removable zip-attached lower section so you can turn the trousers into (long) shorts would be good. 

Ride to the beach with your essential stuff in cargo pockets - zip off the lower sections while you walk around - zip back on and ride home.

The looks may not be designer catwalk chic - and it may need a matching Kevlar lined Chang Beer wife-beater vest to set it off - but at least you can lose some heat before the ride back.

Edited by Familyonthemove
  • Like 2

i say why not?

There's a growing range of Kevlar lined or woven Kevlar/denim jeans now - but they all seem have the same problems:

- Too hot - lighter colour and with vents would be good.

- No zip pockets - we need somewhere secure for wallet, licence, phone etc - why not have cargo pockets with secure closures so we can store some stuff without having to sit on a wallet?

- No convertible option - a removable zip-attached lower section so you can turn the trousers into (long) shorts would be good. 

Ride to the beach with your essential stuff in cargo pockets - zip off the lower sections while you walk around - zip back on and ride home.

The looks may not be designer catwalk chic - and it may need a matching Kevlar lined Chang Beer wife-beater vest to set it off - but at least you can lose some heat before the ride back.

Mine is pretty cool actually.

But they have a model with deep pockets at panda rider. No vents or zips though.

In the real world, when people are involved in accidents, they usually hit another vehicle. The best protective clothing in the world will not save you in this case. Knee armor saves your knee while your leg is broken, or your hip, or your back, or ribs.

Only when you go down and slide along the ground without hitting another vehicle, or a sign, or a guardrail will protective clothing help you. Lessen the abrasion, and the initial impact.

I wear the gear, as past experience - splitting a helmet right down the middle from forehead to neck - saved my life.

I disagree.

A helmet is essential.

I was involved in a scooter + car accident in Australia. Slid up to the windshiled had the bike thrown about 25 metres and me 20. Lost my leg and hip and had a severely broken pelvis I was only wearing ordinary shoes and trousers.  Got a fractured arm as I hit the ground saved mostly by the rubber padding in the elbow pads of the new motorcycle jacket I had just bought.  Otherwise not a scratch.  Clothing is definitely worth it even for a scooter.

I agree with Harrry most victims who're in a motorcycle accident in Thailand have serious body damage from sliding over the road. It's the number one killer in Thailand, speed impact is number two.

My pants will protect for about 7 meters sliding on a road, what's much more than the average slide. Compared that the average denim/jeans pant will protect for just 30 centimeters we see it as a big improvement.

We will not try to make clothing that will compete against Draginn Jeans or anything similar, they provide EC certified protection, our jeans will surely not... Our main objective is the be affordable, fashionable and something people in Thailand would actually wear... What means cool... Our target retail price will for any model or design be higher than 2,000 THB.

Edited by Richard-BKK

On bigbikes without certain gear I would have definitely been paralysed (Leatt neckbrace), broken legs (MX boots), or needed skin grafts (proper clothing).

Even with a Shoei helmet, I got a minor concussion pocketbike racing and they only go 20mph.

I only ride a scooter in BKK traffic, so my balance is a full face road helmet, leather superbike gloves but no gauntlets, a mesh jacket with the inner liner and pads removed, and full wrap Teva hiking sandals.

I accept I may break bones in an accident but my skin is mostly protected from upper body road rash.

If you filter heavy BKK traffic, I highly recommend gloves with knuckle guards.

I smashed my hand into the back of a tuktuk once and my other friend smashed his hand through a taxi's tailight.

Looking when switching lanes is smart but sometimes the traffic in front stops so you clip their rears.

I do have real biker shoes and mesh Revit jacket/pants but the pads block too much air so I only use them on long rides.

If I rode a bigbike I would probably wear pads and real biker shoes because they are too easy to go too fast on.

I disagree.

A helmet is essential.

I do not understand ...

You lost your leg, and your hip, fractured pelvis, but are pleased that your elbow padding saved your elbow while your arm was broken.

So - your protective clothing saved your elbow ???

I disagree.

A helmet is essential.

I do not understand ...

You lost your leg, and your hip, fractured pelvis, but are pleased that your elbow padding saved your elbow while your arm was broken.

So - your protective clothing saved your elbow ???

It saved my life by protecting my upper body.  I am confident that if I had been wearing proper boots and protective trousers I may have had a couple of fractures but I would not be stuck in a wheelchair.  If I had not had the jacket I would be dead,

• Like 2

I slid down Petchburi Rd at 7 km but walked away with just shin and leg bruising thanks to kevlar jeans, padded jacket and leather gloves. Without protection it would have been nasty.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I disagree.

A helmet is essential.

I agree with Harrry most victims who're in a motorcycle accident in Thailand have serious body damage from sliding over the road. It's the number one killer in Thailand, speed impact is number two.

My pants will protect for about 7 meters sliding on a road, what's much more than the average slide. Compared that the average denim/jeans pant will protect for just 30 centimeters we see it as a big improvement.

We will not try to make clothing that will compete against Draginn Jeans or anything similar, they provide EC certified protection, our jeans will surely not... Our main objective is the be affordable, fashionable and something people in Thailand would actually wear... What means cool... Our target retail price will for any model or design be higher than 2,000 THB.

just if you play clever and get a CE accreditation for your products, you dont get locked only in not that big Thai market and able to sell your products at international level.

Not sure how that accreditation works though. Is it hard to get one? with proper investment, sure nothing is hard.

I slid down Petchburi Rd at 7 km but walked away with just shin and leg bruising thanks to kevlar jeans, padded jacket and leather gloves. Without protection it would have been nasty.

Good to hear you came out alright. Which jeans were you wearing?

I meant 70 km an hour not 7!

I thought you meant slid for 7km. I was imagining you being dragged along by your bike like in the cowboy movies when the guy falls from his horse but traps his foot in the reins!

It saved my life by protecting my upper body.  I am confident that if I had been wearing proper boots and protective trousers I may have had a couple of fractures but I would not be stuck in a wheelchair.  If I had not had the jacket I would be dead,

Sorry for your troubles.

But an impact sever enough to break your pelvis would have required protective gear on a level I have never seen - or heard of.

Valentino Rossi does not wear gear tuff enuf to save an impact like that.

You would have to have padding like the Michelin Man and a suit of armor over that.

And I have had my fair share - tho' none ever close to yours. Been on the road on 2 wheels since 1968.

• Like 1

I ride my 900 cc in town and everywhere else. In town (slow speed and frequent stops) I normally wear a flat helmet and decent shoes but still T-shirt and shorts. Anywhere out of town (higher speeds) always full monty: proper helmet, padded jeans, fabric jacket, gloves, the works.

My son in Australia recently came off his bike at relative slow speed after collision with a taxi which suddenly pulled out in front of him without indicating. His bike was a write off, but he was ok thanks to full protective gear including full face helmet. He hit the road on his back and head - helmet was a write off too but did its job as he has no head injury and only many bruises to his body.

He would have been dead or brain damaged without the helmet and its amazing to me that many Australians ride rented bikes in Thailand and Bali without a helmet, in keeping with the rest of their stupid behaviour.  In Australia helmet wearing is rigidly enforced with big financial penalties and points loss if caught and you definitely don't bribe a cop in Australia.  

I have finally convinced my Thai lady to wear a helmet when she rides a bike in her village - but she is the only one who does.

• Like 1

Simplest answer to the topic: Yes and YES!

While I agree with you, mine has to be NO and YES.  I guess it's difficult to break old habits--I've been riding more years than it takes to qualify for the Retiree Extension in Thailand.

So, I should know, I've been down before. I do try to rationalize it--I ride more carefully, because I am in Thailand; to help me stay careful, I ride a Harley because I know it's going to cost to fix it; and I don't wear a set of full leathers, because I will be even more careful to avoid the pain.

Use common sence....if you have an accident driving a small bike, or a big bike - the dammage on your head and body will be the same !
Anyway, full face helmet ( minimum 10000 bath ) , boots and gloves should be the minimum for eaven a short ride in thailand.
About 20 dies every day and many hundred is serious injured .... Every day !!!
Drive sober and extremly passive !

Good luck !
  • Like 1

I can't believe what I am reading from people who don't dress appropriately - accidents don't choose to happen for your convenience - on the open road when you're all kitted up for example.No no, an accident will get you when you are least prepared!

You know how your old boss always used to catch you talking? You never talked, but just that once . . . accidents have the same amount of savvy as your old boss.

Simplest answer to the topic: Yes and YES!

While I agree with you, mine has to be NO and YES.  I guess it's difficult to break old habits--I've been riding more years than it takes to qualify for the Retiree Extension in Thailand.

So, I should know, I've been down before. I do try to rationalize it--I ride more carefully, because I am in Thailand; to help me stay careful, I ride a Harley because I know it's going to cost to fix it; and I don't wear a set of full leathers, because I will be even more careful to avoid the pain.

This is what i call stupid thinking but please dont get me wrong as you value your bike more than your life.
Hoe much does it cost to fix your body in an accident?

And amulets etc funny really.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I am pleasantly rewarded to find so many people advocating leather, helmet, etc....  this was unexpected.  

We all have stories.  Knew a friend who didn't wear leather one day and ended up with glass in his body from head to toe.  life changer.  

The worst part is if you do die and were not wearing protection, people will surely mock you "Well, didn't wear helmet.  Darwin at work!!!"  You don't want your family to read this over and over.  

stay safe

• Like 1