Car Driver Burns To Death In Collision With Truck in Pattaya

Rimmer

Car Driver Burns To Death In Collision With Truck in Pattaya

3218.jpg

PATTAYA:--CHONBURI July 26, 2014 [Pattaya Daily News]; at 3.30 a.m., Pol.Lt.Col. Saney Yosroongruenag (Inquiry official of Nong Prue police station, Chonburi province) was notified that there was an accident where a car had collided with a truck and burst into flames on route 36 of Kra Thing Lai – Rayong, Moo 5 Tambon Pong, Amphur Banglamung, Chonburi province, so he mobilised rescuers of Sawang Boriboon Tharmma Satharn Pattaya Foundation and a fire truck to rush to the scene.

Upon questioning Mr. Boonchin Sapmoon, aged 43, the truck driver he told police that he had been driving the 10 wheeler truck which was loaded with over 12 tons of steel from Nonthaburi province in order to deliver it to Siam Yamoto Co., Ltd, Rayong province, but when he arrived at the incident point he heard a sound like an explosion but didn’t know that a car had hit the back of his truck and carried on driving for almost a km and then stopped to find a car stuck to the back of his truck which was on fire.

Full story:http://www.pattayadailynews.com/pattaya-news/car-driver-burns-death-collision-truck-pattaya/

pdnews.jpg
-- Pattaya Daily News 2014-07-27

RIP driver.

"he heard a sound like an explosion but didn’t know that a car had hit the back of his truck and carried on driving for almost a km and then stopped to find a car stuck to the back of his truck which was on fire." Say WHAT? Don't notice there is a car stuck in the back of your truck and it's on fire? Seems that would be more noticeable than a flat tire. Amazing Thailand.

• Like 2

" carried on driving for almost a km and then stopped to find a car stuck to the back of his truck which was on fire."

Correct use of mirrors for the driving test

Inadequate use of mirrors is not only a very common reason to gain minors in the driving test, it also leads to many driving test failures.blink.png

Edited by Asiantravel

" carried on driving for almost a km and then stopped to find a car stuck to the back of his truck which was on fire."

Inadequate use of mirrors is not only a very common reason to gain minors in the driving test, it also leads to many driving test failures.blink.png

Have you ever driven a large truck???

On many trucks in the UK I see the following warning, "If you can not see my mirrors, I can not see you!"

The back of a truck is a blind spot, what amasses me not only hearing the sound like an explosion, he must have felt some of the impact, he could have reasonably suspected it was a blow out but why did he not stop sooner to investigate.

Clearly the car must have been going a some speed to impact the lorry so hard as to get embedded in a way as to be towed for 1km, but in these type of accidents the car driver would be 100% at fault and even if the lorry stopped straight away there was nothing that could have been done to save the driver anyway.

Have you ever driven a large truck???

On many trucks in the UK I see the following warning, "If you can not see my mirrors, I can not see you!"

The back of a truck is a blind spot, what amasses me not only hearing the sound like an explosion, he must have felt some of the impact, he could have reasonably suspected it was a blow out but why did he not stop sooner to investigate.

Clearly the car must have been going a some speed to impact the lorry so hard as to get embedded in a way as to be towed for 1km, but in these type of accidents the car driver would be 100% at fault and even if the lorry stopped straight away there was nothing that could have been done to save the driver anyway.

At around 3:30 AM I am sure even a truck driver would be able to see the reflection of a car in flames in the mirror?

Edited by Asiantravel
  • Like 1

They just get more unbelievable every day.

Wonder if his rear lights were working (before the impact).

Of course they were. This truck was amongst the 10% of trucks in Thailand that have working tail lights.

A valid question would be if he had tail lights mounted at all.

Edited by JesseFrank

12 tons of steel plus, let's say, another 2-3 tons for the 10 wheeler itself. I suspect he felt very little as the car mass is low in comparison plus it crumpled the front end of the car cushioning the impact more. May have felt he came over a bump.

Just for your and others information..

A "10 Wheeler flat bed ( tray ) truck has a tare weight of approximately 12 tonnes of course this can be vary slightly depending on configuration... Further it would IMPOSSIBLE for a driver not under the influence of drugs or booze not to feel the cars impact,regardless of whether the car was in flames or not, this is not just unlikely it is plainly 100% impossible. The driver is a liar pure and simple. :D

• Like 1

A "10 Wheeler flat bed ( tray ) truck has a tare weight of approximately 12 tonnes of course this can be vary slightly depending on configuration... Further it would IMPOSSIBLE for a driver not under the influence of drugs or booze not to feel the cars impact,regardless of whether the car was in flames or not, this is not just unlikely it is plainly 100% impossible. The driver is a liar pure and simple. biggrin.png

I will still have to disagree, even more so now the weight of a flatbed is in the equation. That comes out to 24 tonnes total weight of the truck versus 1+ tonne for the car, about 4%. That and as I mentioned the car basically slid under the rear of the truck causing a less severe deceleration due to absorption and compression. The physics says it is very possible he barely noticed it and wouldn't be much more than a pot hole to the driver.

• Like 2

I hold a full EU HGV licence and have driven 38 tonne articulated vehicles many times. A driver of a fully-laden vehicle like that would indeed be very unlikely to notice a rear impact by a sedan car. It is also possible that any flames were in the truck driver's rear blind spot, which is surprisingly large behind the trailer.

Or course it is also possible that he just didnt look in the mirror.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

At around 3:30 AM I am sure even a truck driver would be able to see the reflection of a car in flames in the mirror?

If you read the full story, the fire did not really catch on until after he had stopped, it looks like the fire was within the cars interior, when the truck stopped the driver was able to get close enough to attempt to open the door to get the driver out, also there is no or little fire damage to the back of the lorry.

They just get more unbelievable every day.

Wonder if his rear lights were working (before the impact).

Of course they were. This truck was amongst the 10% of trucks in Thailand that have working tail lights.

A valid question would be if he had tail lights mounted at all.

More to the point were the cars head lights working?

Any driver should be prepared for the unexpected, has anybody seen a 5t wild bull elephant with lights, fact is any driver should not drive at a speed in excess of the stopping distance of the limitation of their vision.

Edited by Basil B

Driver burns to death in LPG car versus truck crash in East Pattaya

crash-24.jpg

PATTAYA: -- In the early hours of Saturday an, as yet, unidentified male, was burnt alive in his car after it rear-ended a slow moving truck on Highway 36 close to the Bira International Racing Circuit.

Police and rescue services were called to the location just before 4am to deal with the crash. Fire Fighters were also called to extinguish a fire which had engulfed a White Toyota Yaris. The car had struck the rear of the truck, driven by Khun Panom aged 55.

Inside the Yaris was the charred remains of the driver who could not be rescued due an explosion caused by an LPG tank in the car which ignited during the collision. The deceased man has yet to be identified but is described as tall and possibly of foreign nationality.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/136537/driver-burns-to-death-in-lpg-car-versus-truck-crash-in-east-pattaya/

xpattayaonelogo.png.pagespeed.ic.lBoomVT

-- Pattaya One 2014-07-28

I hold a full EU HGV licence and have driven 38 tonne articulated vehicles many times. A driver of a fully-laden vehicle like that would indeed be very unlikely to notice a rear impact by a sedan car. It is also possible that any flames were in the truck driver's rear blind spot, which is surprisingly large behind the trailer.

I agree - the impact would not be particularly noticable by the driver. The inertia of the 34+ tonnes versus the puny weight of the car (even at a considerable speed differential) would mean the driver would probably not notice anything untowards. I'm involved in the transport industry and over the years have had several similar such incicents occur with our fleet. The drivers reported not feeling any impact - but they did hear the impact.

However, a driver should be aware of vehicles approaching from the rear (day or night) and something about his story sounds a bit dodgy.

12 tons of steel plus, let's say, another 2-3 tons for the 10 wheeler itself. I suspect he felt very little as the car mass is low in comparison plus it crumpled the front end of the car cushioning the impact more. May have felt he came over a bump.

A 10 wheel truck has 3 axles, somehow your 2 to 3 tons for the truck are a fancy dream

Most 3 axle trucks weigh anywhere from 7 to 10 tons, depending on what body is fitted

Do you think you would feel a 1 ton car hit a 22 plus ton truck rolleyes.gif

A 10 wheel truck has 3 axles, somehow your 2 to 3 tons for the truck are a fancy dream

Yes, and I was corrected by a knowledgeable member and updated my comment later with the new numbers. Not having driven a rig I didn't realize they were that heavy.

I agree - the impact would not be particularly noticable by the driver. The inertia of the 34+ tonnes versus the puny weight of the car (even at a considerable speed differential) would mean the driver would probably not notice anything untowards. I'm involved in the transport industry and over the years have had several similar such incicents occur with our fleet. The drivers reported not feeling any impact - but they did hear the impact.

However, a driver should be aware of vehicles approaching from the rear (day or night) and something about his story sounds a bit dodgy.

Bearing in mind what you've just posted, what is the something that "sounds a bit dodgy"?

The longer this thread lasts the heavier the truck gets. In post #14 it has reached +34 tonnes already, a few more posts and it will be clear why all those roads are in such a bad condition with all those +100 tonnes vehicles driving around.

• Like 1