Bicycling the Golden Triangle.

B

If you do do it, be careful, Cycling is dangerous anywhere in Thailand, unless you are off the road..

Bullshit

Oh please,, off road, no problem, on road , well just take a look at any road in Thailand or look at the road fatality statistics, please be real....

B

If you do do it, be careful, Cycling is dangerous anywhere in Thailand, unless you are off the road..

Bullshit

Oh please,, off road, no problem, on road , well just take a look at any road in Thailand or look at the road fatality statistics, please be real....

I assume you're basing your opinion merely on perception. I've been cycling in Thailand and it's neihbouring countries for 10 years now and would rather cycle here than in my home country. Also I find that Thais tend to respect bicycles more than other road users and talking to other foreigners who cycle here they tend to agree.

Edited by Cyclist

only those that have cycled in other countries know what its like,

i spent 18 months traveling thru India, Sri Lanka, Nepal,Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia an had the time of my life!!!

Only accident was ran into a cow outside Jaipur

B

Bullshit

Being realistic, cycling is a dangerous sport. On road, off road, anywhere in the world. And I'm an avid cyclist, veteran of numerous tours of hundreds of kms through Thailand and a lot, on a regular basis, in Bangkok. You love it, you take your chances. I've had a few major spills over the decades. And there are some very scary drivers here. You probably heard about the couple that cycled through dozens of countries and got wiped out last year by a drunk driver of a pickup on a Thai country road. One good thing about the Thai roads is that in many places there are wide, clearly marked shoulders, presumably for motorcycle traffic. But it's still one of the most dangerous countries to do road cycling in. As for off-road, I leave that alone, IMHO the folks that do that are even crazier than I am! But I doubt it's much worse here than anywhere else.

It's dangerous here for a variety of reasons. Unlicensed drivers, drunk drivers, lousy roads, etc. We had a young lady get killed here in Pattaya a few months ago riding her bike. Got rear ended by a drunk guy on his scooter...at around 8am in the morning.

Thailand is listed as one of the most dangerous countries in the world for road accidents. Can't argue with the facts.

But that area of Thailand is not too crowded. Just make sure you have good insurance. Too many stories here on Thaivisa of foreigners who've gotten hospitalized and then can't pay their bills. Your passport could be taken and in one instance I read about a guy who was put in jail until he paid his bill. Many hospitals won't even start working on you until you either pay them cash or show your insurance.

The query was for information, not for opinions on perceived safety. Many people often give views on safety for cyclists when viewed as an outsider. Cycling in any city of the world is potentially dangerous for someone without crumple zones, bumpers etc. But life is for living, not sitting in a traffic jam breathing in life shortening emissions. If you added all these life years lost from breathing in the small particulates especially from diesel, and deaths caused by cars not least to all others, it might surprise. If this query requested information on a subject titled golden triangle, then there must already be acceptance of some risk.

So, going back to the query (information):

1. I would suggest you watch the BBC Top Gear special episode on Burma for inspiration. Even Clarkson explained the climb from Yangon into Thailand was epic and exceeded all his expectations. To do any thing like this on a bike would far exceed these superlatives.

2. CGOAB is a really good resource for touring cycling: https://www.crazyguyonabike.com

3. There was a good Lonely Planet Guide book which I think is now out of print, for cycling in Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia: http://www.amazon.com/Lonely-Planet-Cycling-Vietnam-Cambodia/dp/1864501685. The section titled Northern Wonder tour NW of Hanoi was probably the highlight of this book.

4. Finally, the CTC may provide resource of potential additional information for reference.

Hope this helps.