Sweden, Finland recruit fewer Thai berry pickers this year

webfact

They are not handling over jobs. Anyone that liks to pick berries or anything else in the forest are allowed to do it

Sarcasm lost on you again.

Maybe you think this is funny? But hundreds or probably thousends of Thai families have lost everything they own. And have borrowed so much money that they can never pay it back.

Personally I think those jobs should be filled by other Europeans, I'm not sure why Scandinavia is handing over jobs to Thais ?

I dont see the point either most fruit farmers in the European Union use Polish people to do the fruit picking.No hassle with visas and expensive flight tickets.

I agree, I mean to be fair Thailand should also recruit Swedes to be rice farmers, lol.

But yeah seriously why wouldn't Eastern Europeans be picking berries in Scandinavia? I mean while Western Europeans might be too lazy to do back breaking labor, Eastern Europeans would be happy to do the work. I'm quite sure the unemployment rate is not that low in many Eastern European countries such as Poland so it seems like a ridiculous move to bring in non-EU foreigners from far away taking away jobs from EU nationals. Nearly 6000 Thais working in berry picking to me is still a sky high figure, even if it's lower than last year.

The only Thais that should be picking berries in Scandinavia should be Thai university students who are allowed to work during their summer holidays, so perhaps 50 people. Everyone else should be from the EU or perhaps even Russia, they're closer and many Russians are quite poor and need jobs too. This whole scheme seems strange...especially given that in Thailand itself similar work is now being almost entirely performed by foreigners from Myanmar, Cambodia and to a lesser extent, Laos. Whole plantations don't have a single Thai picking or planting whatever fruit/vegetable that is being grown in many parts of Thailand. Is the reason for that because these 5924 Thais have "fled" to Finland and Sweden to pick berries at the expense of local labor in Thailand?

Why would people from Russia go to Sweden/Finland and pick berries ? They have exactly the same berries in larger quantities in their own home country.

• Like 1

Publication Date : 31-07-2014

A Greek court's decision to acquit local farmers who admitted shooting 28 Bangladeshi strawberry pickers

http://www.asianewsnet.net/news-62926.html

greek is european union same as sweden and finland

Strawberries has nothing to do with this. Farmers grow strawberries on their land. You don't go out in the forrest and to pick strawberries.

A Greek court's decision to acquit local farmers who admitted shooting 28 Bangladeshi strawberry pickers

Strawberries has nothing to do with this. Farmers grow strawberries on their land. You don't go out in the forrest and to pick strawberries.

irrelevant the fruit or location, euroland will shoot you rather than pay you as the precedent has been set by greeks.

Another stupid comment. There have been ten thousend pickers in my home country every year the last 10-15 years. None have been shoot. 

And who should pay you when picking wild berries in the forrest? 90 % of the people picking those berries are not employed. "Euroland not paying you" what a joke.......

irrelevant the fruit or location, euroland will shoot you rather than pay you as the precedent has been set by greeks.

Whom should pay me when I go out and pick wild berries in the forrest ?

Maybe you think this is funny? But hundreds or probably thousends of Thai families have lost everything they own. And have borrowed so much money that they can never pay it back.

Post #3 is pretty funny light comedy given recent events, and got a few likes. Doesn't mean the thread isn't a serious matter.

Whom should pay me when I go out and pick wild berries in the forrest ?

oh i see, you feed the berrys to the polar bears  at the end of each day and the polar bears credit your debit card so you can redeem it as karma at the temple. are you sure you are not praying to a fake cambodian Buddha? 

It's obvious that you don't have a clue about anything in this thread. And that you joined TV today to do some troll posts. I bet you have a few other names on TV also

Edited by bangkoklasse