Renewing Drviers License in Ubon Ratchathani

ChrisB87

Hey,

So i am gonna have to renew my 1 year drivers license (i.e change it to a 5 year one) and i would like some info on what documents they expect, especially with regards to the proof of address. I don't have my name on any house book yet.

I made my drivers license in BKK, but now stay in Ubon.

Thanks in advance for any help. wai2.gif

Pretty sure it is a letter from immigration (as it is in Sisaket). Such a letter costs 500 baht in Sisaket immigration, but I think I read that its only 200 or 300 baht in Ubon (should be free of course and is in some provinces if you can wait a short period).

Other stuff is old license, passport. Wife's housebook, wife's ID and wife (if appropriate and just in case)

Rule 1 in Thailand

There are no rules (applied consistently nationally).

Rule 2 in Thailand

We can change our mind for no apparent reason (do not expect consistency from one year to the next or even between you and a mate who went one month ago)

I exaggerate slightly, but you will only be sure by going to the vehicle tax & licensing office relevant to your amphur. Ask them about need for copies while you are there. For any process in Thailand I always go on a reccy visit with TW first.

If you do a search on this forum for Drivers Licence in Ubon there is a couple of threads. I did mine about 2 years ago and it has changed since then. The letter from the immigration has now been changed to a letter from the tourist police I believe. Do a search and all the info is there.

Hope this helps

Hello Chris,

I just just renewed my 1 year license to a 5 year license about a month ago here in Ubon Ratchathani. I got my 1 year license in Surin and heard multiple versions that I have to get my 5 year license from Surin and others said I can get it in Ubon. Yes, you can renew it in Ubon.

Documents I needed:

- Passport copy ( main page, visa page, last entry stamp, departure card )

- Your current Thai Drivers License

- Resident Certificate ( have to get that at your lcoal immigration ). If you have a valid Work Permit, a copy of that will be a sufficient replacement for the resident certificate

- Doctors Certificate ( You can get that the day you head to the DMV to renew you license. On that main road by the DMV is a small shop that "sells" the Doctors Certificate for 50 Baht...or 80...I don't remember. It doesn't even look like a doctors office or anything like that ( all they need is your name...and birth date I think. No blood drawing, no blood pressure etc. ) . Its best to have a Thai speaker / reader with you, to point you to the correct building...its next to 7/11 ).

I think that was it. If they want other copies etc. they have a copy shop downstairs that can copy whatever other documents the DMV want from you.

Edit: I applied for my renewal 3 weeks before my 1 year expired. They gave me my old DL back and handed me the new one and told me to keep the old one until the new one kicks in. The issue date they printed on my new DL was when my old one expired ( 3 weeks into the future :) )

Edited by NiwPix
  • Like 2

When i renewed my one year into a five year at Kantharalak Sisaket a couple of years ago there was no requirement to have a doctor's certificate.

Could it be that some vehicle licensing offices have had an unprecedented outbreak of common sense and decided that a clerical worker at the licensing centre could make the kind of judgements that those signing off the doctors certs (often a receptionist) can. Two arms, two legs, at least one eye, standing upright - you qualify!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Renewed 5 year car and motorcycle licenses today for another 5 years on the ring road. Arrived at 12:50. Turned in documents at 1:00. Group meeting for 30 minutes from 1:30-2. No video. Just instructor talking. Got licenses at 2:25. 

For each license I needed the following paper clipped together:

Original license

1 Copy of main passport page

1 Copy of passport visa page

1 Copy of yellow tabian baan (didn’t like my pink ID card)

1 Copy of front/back of license on same page

Edited by ubonrthai

3 hours ago, ubonrthai said:

Renewed 5 year car and motorcycle licenses today for another 5 years on the ring road. Arrived at 12:50. Turned in documents at 1:00. Group meeting for 30 minutes from 1:30-2. No video. Just instructor talking. Got licenses at 2:25. 

For each license I needed the following paper clipped together:

Original license

1 Copy of main passport page

1 Copy of passport visa page

1 Copy of yellow tabian baan (didn’t like my pink ID card)

1 Copy of front/back of license on same page

?

ubonrthai - are you leaving the fine shores of Thailand in the not too distant future? A real shame if you are as you have been a wealth of information for many years here on Thai Visa as well as on many other platforms. 

• Like 1

Ubonrthai: just double checking on the Medical Certificate????
Ill be 60 next year when mine are up for revalidation - if that makes any difference.

Not sure if age makes a difference but no medical certificate is required for renewal in your 30’s. If you were to need one, run out front to the clinic next to 7-11 and a 15yo will sign one for you. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Haha 1