Is Anybody Else Preparing An CEFR Seminar For High School Teachers?

Hello and Swasdee khrap,

I just received a phone call from our coordinating coordinator, who's asking me if I couldn't hold a “CEFR” seminar for high school teachers on the weekend.

CEFR stands for “Common European Framework of Reference to Languages.”

Well, honestly, not a problem, as I'd held various seminars for primary and secondary English teachers up to school directors.

It seems that this is a new rule, coming from the (military?) government. All of them will have to pass at least A1 and A 2 level, which isn't really difficult to achieve.

I really appreciate such educational courses, as this system has to improve dramatically.

Good luck that our school's preparing for Mother's Day, which we'll celebrate at school tomorrow. All I've got is the information that around 50 high school teachers will attend this weekend.

Just made a test for them and hope they’ll be good enough to understand it. Lol.

Just curious if anybody on this forum just recently made such a seminar. I do have plenty of material already.

So, if anybody would like an exchange of ideas, please feel free to page me.

Thanks a lot in advance. No long weekend for me, but at least I get paid. Cheers-facepalm.gif

• Like 1

My university is going full on CEFR.

Right now I'm making an online language learning course based on CEFR. I'm using the EdX platform. Students (teachers) will take the online course and then spend a couple of weeks at our campus.

Thousands and thousands of people in Thailand are going to be doing this, as teachers must obtain an A2 level to keep their jobs! We see it as a huge opportunity!

I have tons of information about CEFR. If you need anything, just let me know!

Cheers,

Ryan

• Like 1

Yep these teaching courses are a killer. Sometimes they can take as much as two weeks online.

However we do need worlds best practice in Thailand. Hope the members do not take red pen in hand to the OP.

Can I have some of your info Please

Thanks

Right now I'm making an online language learning course based on CEFR. I'm using the EdX platform. Students (teachers) will take the online course and then spend a couple of weeks at our campus.

Thousands and thousands of people in Thailand are going to be doing this, as teachers must obtain an A2 level to keep their jobs! We see it as a huge opportunity!

Cheers,

Ryan

Thanks

Cheers,

Ryan

What exactly do you want to know? Are you a course developer? Teacher? Just want general knowledge? If you just want general knowledge, type CEFR into Google.

If you're developing a course, you may want more specific information.

• Like 1

Thanks

Cheers,

Ryan

What exactly do you want to know? Are you a course developer? Teacher? Just want general knowledge? If you just want general knowledge, type CEFR into Google.

Just had a short update. I'll be alone all day long, the only help I'll have is the head of educational area two office, who can hardly speak in English.

Our coordinator wasn't exactly sure, but it seems that all Thai English teachers will at least have to pass the A 2 Level test.

The purpose of this seminar's only to prepare around 50 Thai high school teachers to be able to pass the test.

I'd deeply appreciate, if you'd send me a copy of a test, as I've made quite a lot, but I've got no idea about their level of English.

My school's a small Anuban, in the middle of nowhere of lower northeast,but the PEER CENTER of this area. Next bigger city is Sisaket.

Thanks a lot, should anybody need some PowerPoint, tests, etc, I've got various good websites to prepare teachers, kids, parents for any tests.

No long weekend for me, as I'll have to do that seminar, then right after the holidays an English camp for grade six. Seems that all others at my school, excluding me know about the upcoming camp.

P.S. It would be great to see an example, as I've already got too many tests.My "trainees" will be high school teachers and I thought A! and A 2 were for primary school teachers. Cheers-facepalm.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

This is for Thai of foreign teachers?

Thai teachers in public schools. Foreign teachers are generally native English speakers and would not be required to take an English proficiency exam.

Those who're not have to take the TOEIC, which is a piece of cake.

Thanks

Cheers,

Ryan

Just had a short update. I'll be alone all day long, the only help I'll have is the head of educational area two office, who can hardly speak in English.

Our coordinator wasn't exactly sure, but it seems that all Thai English teachers will at least have to pass the A 2 Level test.

The purpose of this seminar's only to prepare around 50 Thai high school teachers to be able to pass the test.

I'd deeply appreciate, if you'd send me a copy of a test, as I've made quite a lot, but I've got no idea about their level of English.

My school's a small Anuban, in the middle of nowhere of lower northeast,but the PEER CENTER of this area. Next bigger city is Sisaket.

Thanks a lot, should anybody need some PowerPoint, tests, etc, I've got various good websites to prepare teachers, kids, parents for any tests.

No long weekend for me, as I'll have to do that seminar, then right after the holidays an English camp for grade six. Seems that all others at my school, excluding me know about the upcoming camp.

P.S. It would be great to see an example, as I've already got too many tests. Cheers-

According to the council, it takes 150-200 hours to master one level, A1, A2, etc.. If these people think you are going bring them up a level in a weekend seminar, they are complete fools. I've done these kinds of seminars too (I used to teach at Buriram Rajabhat University), and, If were you, I would just make a bunch of fun elementary-level games and enjoy yourself. You cannot really help anyone in a weekend seminar.

If you're interested, the best way to understand the A2 level is to know what textbooks cover those levels.

Headway Elementary

Face to Face Elementary

Cutting Edge Elementary

New Interchange Book 1

The best book, in my opinion, is Headway.

Good Luck!

Ryan

• Like 1

According to the council, it takes 150-200 hours to master one level, A1, A2, etc.. If these people think you are going bring them up a level in a weekend seminar, they are complete fools. I've done these kinds of seminars too (I used to teach at Buriram Rajabhat University), and, If were you, I would just make a bunch of fun elementary-level games and enjoy yourself. You cannot really help anyone in a weekend seminar.

If you're interested, the best way to understand the A2 level is to know what textbooks cover those levels.

Headway Elementary

Face to Face Elementary

Cutting Edge Elementary

New Interchange Book 1

The best book, in my opinion, is Headway.

Good Luck!

Ryan

Dear Ryan,

Thanks a lot for your helpful and funny reply! Yep, we all know how the system's working, right?

The joke is that it's only on Saturday and half of Sunday. Those "teachers' "usually" don't speak one sentence and I'll do my best to keep it interesting.

The "head" of educational area one doesn't even understand me, as I had to find out at a former seminar.

"Please don't be too hard on them", was our coordinator's speech.

It's sometimes like having little kids in adult bodies in front of you.

Here's a great website for those who've got to do something similar. Cheers- Mike facepalm.gif

http://www.examenglish.com/CEFR/cefr.php

One question will be what is the test that is going to be used? The CEFR levels and descriptors are not actually part of a particular test. Tests have to be developed that can measure the levels. Students shouldn't just be able to 'study for the test', as happens with exams like IELTS or TOEIC, in order to move on to a higher level. The levels describe ability and development to higher levels should only come through hours of study and exposure to the language.

There are tests that have been / are being developed e.g the Oxford Online Placement Test which we have been trialling on some of our university students. Interesting stuff from pauleddy that test development is underway in Thai government departments.

Edited by KhaoNiaw

Thai teachers in public schools. Foreign teachers are generally native English speakers and would not be required to take an English proficiency exam.

I think 600 is the minimum requirement for non-native speakers. That's a bit of a worry really, as that score is lower than the minimum requirements for entry of our school leavers to some international programs here.

CEFR A1 is less than 400 on the paper-based TOEFL. I hope most of our Thai teachers can muster that!!

Conversion tables:

http://secure.vec.bc.ca/toefl-equivalency-table.cfm

• Like 1

I think 600 is the minimum requirement for non-native speakers. That's a bit of a worry really, as that score is lower than the minimum requirements for entry of our school leavers to some international programs here.

CEFR A1 is less than 400 on the paper-based TOEFL. I hope most of our Thai teachers can muster that!!

Conversion tables:

Good to see such a website. Also an honor to have 865 points at TOEIC, which is really a piece of cake.And that after a sleepless night doing 600 km on the train.

Even flight attendants have to have at least 600 points. Which leads me to a serious question.

How can a Cameroonian teacher with a TOEIC score of 390 have a valid teacher's license, issued by the TCT/MoE? And there's not even a speaking, or grammar test involved.....

You'd even have 390 points, when you just choose anything, without the ability to understand a question.

Edited by lostinisaan

One question will be what is the test that is going to be used? The CEFR levels and descriptors are not actually part of a particular test. Tests have to be developed that can measure the levels.

For CEFR Level A2 then the Cambridge KET and KET for Schools are ideal test papers and prep materials

Level B1 then use PET or PET for Schools

B2 then use FCE etc

There are quite a few past papers for the above that can be downloaded from the CIE website for free.

• Like 1

One question will be what is the test that is going to be used? The CEFR levels and descriptors are not actually part of a particular test. Tests have to be developed that can measure the levels.

For CEFR Level A2 then the Cambridge KET and KET for Schools are ideal test papers and prep materials

Level B1 then use PET or PET for Schools

B2 then use FCE etc

There are quite a few past papers for the above that can be downloaded from the CIE website for free.

I'll try this on the weekend. :http://www.examenglish.com/CEFR/A2.htm

You'll also find a free knowledge test, including a grammar test to find out how good somebody really is: http://www.examenglish.com/leveltest/index.php

You could see:

You have completed the English Level Test

Congratulations! Your level is C2 (advanced/mastery)

C2 This is approximately equivalent to CPE, an IELTS band score of 9 or 120 at TOEFL iBT

Time taken: 3 minutes, 11 seconds

Or:

You have completed the English Level Test

Level: 0

We were not able to assess your level. The questions were too difficult.

Time taken: 1 minute, 7 seconds

Restart Email results

Together with the listening test, a great tool to check somebody's ability in English. Cheers-facepalm.gif

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 1

Conversion tables:

Most Thai teachers can pass A 1 easily. But it seems that they'll have to pass B1. The seminar went pretty well, considering that I had to do it alone.

The scheduled Thai teachers just let it go, not wanting to lose face.Glad that I had enough material prepared.

Only four out of 45 could achieve B1 level.

• 7 months later...

Hello and Sawasdee Khrap,

It's funny to see that it seems a tiny little educational area in the sticks had the right connection to what will happen in the future. Please see when this thread was started....

Just posting this for a member who's asking what this English test looks like. It's not as you thought it was.

It's a grammar and a listening part, called " CEFR". Please see link: http://www.examenglish.com/CEFR/cefr.php

The spoken English is pretty well spoken British English. But not understood by Thai English teachers. Sorry for many. Not all.

The difficulty is changing, when you answer the first questions right. The required level seems to be still unknown.

When you're doing that, please make sure that all of them have proper access to the Internet. Once you've done the test, you can send your result to an email address.

I truly hope that I could help you out with your questions. wai2.gif

post-158336-0-45304200-1426346624_thumb.

post-158336-0-19356600-1426346632_thumb.

post-158336-0-81442900-1426346639_thumb.

post-158336-0-51174600-1426346647_thumb.

• Like 2

Thanks for this info - really helpful -

I'll let you know how everyone gets on

Thanks again smile.png

You're welcome. Please don't be too hard on them. You could go through each question with them, explain the meaning of certain words, why it's the right one and WHY are the others wrong?

When you do the listening test, you can see that the majority just don't understand clearly spoken British English. But there's the possibility to pause the conversation, start over again to make sure that they've understood it.

The option to mail it to an e-mail account is pretty cool. Best of fun when doing your seminar. BTW, the going rate doing such a task is 600 baht/hour.

post-158336-0-79846400-1426386775_thumb.

post-158336-0-60300000-1426387048_thumb.

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 1