Making Salami ?

Boyce

Hi there just curious if any board member is making Salami , as i want to give it a try , any tips or recipes on the best way to go about this would be gratefully appreciated.

salamilge.jpg

Thanks

Boyce

Now there was me hoping that you had already done it so I could use your recipe.

I have one recipe which I have never used but I can't remember where the recipe came from.

I Googled how to make homemade salami and got https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=how+to+make+homemade+salami

About 630,000 results (0.43 seconds)

The best thing I can suggest is to Google it and pick a recipe that you fancy and have a bash at it.

I think the hardest bit will be getting the right sort of skin to pack it in.

[attachment=278422:How to make homemade salami.doc]

“I think the hardest bit will be getting the right sort of skin to pack it in.”

I can assure you that is the least of your problems. Sausage skins are available in every market in Thailand the only problem is that I can only get the one size.

I have made Salami for the last three years during the “winter” months. The result is very similar to the rustic saucisson from southern France.

You need cool and dry weather. So you need to be in the North and preferably in the mountains.

The first year I started too late, but managed to make two batches with great success. The second year I lost two batches due to sudden changes in the weather.

Last year we had a long cold season but the Salami tended to dry out too quickly.

Your biggest enemy is the weather.

There is plenty of information online, but making Salami in the open air in the tropics is risky. It’s quite a lot of work to process the meat and stuff the skins and then you can lose the lot because of a tropical storm.

I don’t have air conditioning otherwise I might try it in an air-conditioned room. Alternatively I have seen information online where people have built cupboards where they can control the temperature and humidity.

Incidentally I also make my own Thai sausages which, when tailored to your own taste buds, can be excellent.

attachicon.gifChorizo_resize.jpgattachicon.gifFirst and Second Salami_resize.jpgattachicon.gifSecond Salami_resize.jpg

Can you post the recipes please?

At the moment I use the stuff from Makro.

I bought some wooden chopsticks and cut them in half then defrosted the whole pack, untangled them and rolled them back onto the chopsticks, wrapped them individually, bunged them into a ziplock bag and froze them. Take out of the freezer as and when required  but they are not that good.

A couple of photos for you

[attachment=278849:DSCF3568 resized.jpg]

[attachment=278850:DSCF3642 resized.jpg]

[attachment=278851:DSCF3646 resized.jpg]

[attachment=278852:DSCF3647 resized.jpg]

[attachment=278853:Sausage skins v01.doc]

Sausage skins are available in every market in Thailand the only problem is that I can only get the one size.

In my experience there is another problem: they absolutely stink and need a good hour or so of washing to remove the remaining ordure - though that may just be my local market. You also have to go to the market in the small hours of the morning. They've sold out by about 4 a.m..

Hope you sell it in Chiang Mai tired of eating sausage stuffed with rice

There's plenty of great salami on sale in Chiang Mai. You just have to be willing to pay for it.  Makro offers some great stuff from Italy that starts at under 800 baht per kilo.

• Like 1