'Suspended' TV channels ordered to be renamed

webfact

TELEVISION
'Suspended' TV channels ordered to be renamed

Watchiranont Thongtep
The Nation

Junta wants content changes, among other things, before they can go on air

BANGKOK: -- The National Council for Peace and Order has suggested that the suspended "political" satellite TV stations be renamed and their TV programmes reshuffled to be in accordance with the junta's Order No 97/2557 on media outlets, which bans dissemination of information that would "confuse people" or "cause or widen conflicts".

Any media that disseminate false information with the aim of discrediting the NCPO would be investigated by professional organisations.

The 12 politically leaning satellite TV channels, whose broadcasts were suspended after the May 22 coup, will continue to be off the air to avoid creating new conflicts in society, according to a source at the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC).

The channels are MV5, DNN, UDD, Asia Update, P&P, 4 Channel, Bluesky, FMTV, ASTV, Hot TV, Rescue, and a station operated by the Students' and People's Network for Thailand's Reform.

The NBTC source said the head of the junta's media committee had not made any decision to give a green light to those political satellite-TV stations that were suspended after the military seized power from the previous elected government.

The source was speaking after a meeting at the NBTC head office between executives from those satellite TV operators and the head of the junta's media committee along with NBTC executives.

The source said those satellite-TV operators must submit a proposal to the NCPO before the NBTC could grant approval.

The politically leaning satellite channels were shut down along with more than 4,700 licensed public and community radio broadcasters that were suspended after the coup. However, the NCPO and the NBTC agreed that all of those radio stations could resume operations.

Strategic committee sought

Separately, the Radio-Television Broadcasting Professional Federation, led by Jamnan Siritan Nunbhakdi of JSL Global Media, yesterday submitted a letter to the NCPO calling for the setting up of a strategic committee to solve problems related to digital TV.

The group said the transition from analog to digital TV should be placed on the national agenda. Meanwhile, a joint committee working on promoting the transition should be set up and work until 2017.

The group and some digital terrestrial TV operators recently opposed a scheme to give away vouchers worth only Bt690 for the purchase of digital set-top boxes or television sets with built-in digital tuners, saying their value was insufficient.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Suspended-TV-channels-ordered-to-be-renamed-30240516.html

[thenation]2014-08-08[/thenation]

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Station spokespersons issued a joint statement saying from now on the channels would be known as ' Politically Correct Television ' and everyone is HAPPY about it so tune it and you can be Happy too.

NKK how about a total ban on Thai soaps, changed content as the good General request, replaced with educational and English programs .HEHEcheesy.gif

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Station spokespersons issued a joint statement saying from now on the channels would be known as ' Politically Correct Television ' and everyone is HAPPY about it so tune it and you can be Happy too.

NKK how about a total ban on Thai soaps, changed content as the good General request, replaced with educational and English programs .HEHEcheesy.gif

Happy Talk keep talking happy talk,  if you don't have a dream how you gonna' make a dream come true ?

Apologies to Rogers and Hammerstein's South Pacific

And when will they allow the Australia Network channel to resume?  (True cable #170)

I don't know what the Aussies have done to offend the Generals - British/America/Japanese/Chinese/Jazeera/German news channels were back up very quickly.

Good ! The tv channels and magazines were largely responsible for the spreading of lies and propaganda as people would just take the media from their side and ignore the rest so they only saw the side that their 'leaders' wanted them to see. With these divisive hate mongers gone, maybe some more balanced reporting can be seen by those poor weak minded sheeple and maybe some better balanced people will emerge at the end.

• Like 2

Good ! The tv channels and magazines were largely responsible for the spreading of lies and propaganda as people would just take the media from their side and ignore the rest so they only saw the side that their 'leaders' wanted them to see. With these divisive hate mongers gone, maybe some more balanced reporting can be seen by those poor weak minded sheeple and maybe some better balanced people will emerge at the end.

Isn't this similar to what is being posted here on TVF by this regular minority, Problem is they show ONE side only and refuse to admit to past mistakes in general, instead of fair constructed criticism some channels have an agenda they stick to no matter what.

The NORMAL freedom is there, (who on TVF has been reprimanded by the army??)  do we see every day a ordinary Thai voicing an opinion being slung in the monkey cage ??

Normal opposition/ideas are asked for from every walk of life, Not persons wanting to cause problems with this fixed agenda. FAIR reporting is all that is being asked, The army is NOT saying if you are not praising us, you are off the air.

• Like 1

And when will they allow the Australia Network channel to resume?  (True cable #170)

I don't know what the Aussies have done to offend the Generals - British/America/Japanese/Chinese/Jazeera/German news channels were back up very quickly.

Same reason Daily mail is blocked, coverage of a certain birthday party. We got true just for this channel, a week later it was off.

• Like 1

Hmmm I have el cheapo BTV for free in my condo, and it only went off for a few days (Love Q&A and Aussie rules footy). Wish they would dump a few Russian channels and bring back astro sports so can watch some EPL.... dream dream

I only have Super Knowledge but it has NO NEWS

There used to be a short program about Thailand followed by International headlines.

More like a community show - was that hostile too??

I would like to learn more about Thailand, even "everyday" news - no way could I keep up in Thai.

Freedom of speech, freedom of expression, and freedom of the press are freedoms we Americans hold sacred. In a free society, you will always be exposed to different arguments and points-of-view. If you are a hardcore conservative, you might prefer FOX TV. If you are more liberal, you will probably prefer NBC. There is nothing "confusing" about being exposed to all points-of-view and being allowed to make up one's own mind. If someone is trying to control my access to information, then they are preventing me from obtaining sufficient data to make informed decisions. Forcing me to make the "right" decision by limiting my access to information is not the mark of a free society.

• Like 2

Meanwhile, some news just in case you missed the announcement,

The Nation August 5, 2014 1:00 am

Junta chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha's weekly "Returning Happiness to People in the Country" television programme will be brought forward from 8.15pm to 5pm from Friday onwards.

The programme is broadcast on all TV and radio stations every Friday.  

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Broadcast-time-of-Prayuths-programme-changed-30240226.html

Edited by fab4

brainwash TV ?

under THE COSH TV ?

This is nothing mate-compared with the Thaksin  style TV.  you have a very short memory.  Sorry to give you some ancient facts. He controlled the media lock stock and barrel.

Think before posting, or mention both and compare if you want to be fair and neutral.

If that happened they will have all the female population of Thailand against them.

• Like 1

<<snip>>

Junta chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha's weekly "Returning Happiness to People in the Country" television programme will be brought forward from 8.15pm to 5pm from Friday onwards.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Broadcast-time-of-Prayuths-programme-changed-30240226.html

I suspect the timing has been brought forward because people have complained about the clash with the Thai Soaps, which (should) begin at 8:30 pm.

However, "Important" messages should surely not be broadcasted at 5 pm - only children and housewives are at home.  A lot of "mature" women do seem to love the General - so perhaps he wants to talk to a relatively appreciative audience.

Edited by tx22cb

If that happened they will have all the female population of Thailand against them.

and " Hell hath no fury .... "1zgarz5.gif.pagespeed.ce.GJfs_tQOQ-.gif  

• Like 1

But these channels also told a lot of true that was too hot for the other channels to touch.

I prefer freedom instead of political correct.

• Like 1

I think those retarded soapies are more dangerous....

No,they are essential- for keeping the masses from 'thinking too mut'

Actually those soaps make me thinking too much. Especially the scenes where the good guy is held by two baddies so the head baddy doesn't have any problems to beat the goody. Still wondering about the educational aspect of that.

I really appreciate that gesture of the general. By the time his program ends I'm home on Fridays as are most Thais (at least in Bangkok). That's the time to start the soapies thumbsup.gif

I really appreciate that gesture of the general. By the time his program ends I'm home on Fridays as are most Thais (at least in Bangkok). That's the time to start the soapies thumbsup.gif

He's just full of magnanimity, Prayuth is. At least I think that's what he's full of, I could be wrong.

By the way, can we agree on using either "soaps" or "lakorn" as synonyms for these highbrow Thai TV shows, "soapies" could be misconstrued.........

Still have Australia network, try retuning your STB.

Don't suggest that for God's sake.  We will only get endless repeats of Mr Bean.   Wait.  that would be preferable to Thai soaps............

• Like 1