Avis Rental Deposit Fee

weka

Can anyone explain why they do this Is it normal? (not the deposit itself, but getting it back)

Hired a car from Avis for the day yesterday

Hire charge comes out of the credit card - phone notification

Deposit of 40k comes out of the credit card - phone notification.

Take the car back, no problems, all good.

Ask when the 40k goes back into the credit card account - 7 to 11 days!!

Huh?

So basically I've 40k less credit for 7 to 11 days. 

Needless to say I get that dumb smile and gaze shift when I ask the following:

Why so long?

Why not refund the deposit now?

What are you doing with that 40k?

What if I need that (my) 40k in the meantime?

Is this normal for rental companies?

Feeling a bit shafted

Any illumination appreciated

depends how they take the deposit.

I noticed in UK with Europcar that the money never left my a/c. I was told that return of deposit could be up to 10 working days.....however if they simply FREEZE that amount in your account, all they have to do is unfreeze it so it gets "back" quicker as it's never really gone, geddit?

Thanks for the replies

Pretty sure the money came out of the cc account as I got  an sms notification from the bank with the available balance at 40k less as well.

I'm familiar with the Europcar way of doing it, or even when you give cc details for hotels.

In this case the money has been removed from the credit card account, and as they say it'll go back in in 7 to 11 days - feels like a dodgy way of conducting a pretty typical and common business transaction eh?

I rented fro Avis Thailand.  They took out 20K for deposit when I rented teh car.  After I returned the car, they made a separate charge for the rent and told me the same thing about the deposit.  The money was credited back to my CC within a week.

Thanks for the replies

Pretty sure the money came out of the cc account as I got  an sms notification from the bank with the available balance at 40k less as well.

I'm familiar with the Europcar way of doing it, or even when you give cc details for hotels.

In this case the money has been removed from the credit card account, and as they say it'll go back in in 7 to 11 days - feels like a dodgy way of conducting a pretty typical and common business transaction eh?

"sms notification from the bank with the available balance at 40k less" - the available balance would be less as they have a hold on that until you get back with the car.

• Like 1

The funds are just blocked, not taken.  I've rented from Avis, Budget and Hertz, all about the same rate.

One thing I do is have the deposit blocked from my US card and then charge with the Thai card - I have a much larger credit limit on the US card.

The other thing you can do is overpay your thai card up front (estimated) and that will get your credit limit back up.  With online banking, it is almost instantaneous.

Edited by utkb
  • Like 1

i have the same problem at the udon thani airport i never have that in america, i never rent a other car for the airport,i can rent a car in udon thani from a small company whit 5000 bt deposit cash and get my money back when i take the car back! it take two week to get my money back from avis at the airport!

Thanks for the replies

"sms notification from the bank with the available balance at 40k less" - the available balance would be less as they have a hold on that until you get back with the car.

Right, except they have the car back and my money is still unavailable - geddit?

I guess the crux of the issue is why 7 to 11 days to be rid of this "hold" they have - 

Typical bs banking systems in Thailand I guess

Thanks for the replies

Right, except they have the car back and my money is still unavailable - geddit?

I guess the crux of the issue is why 7 to 11 days to be rid of this "hold" they have - 

Typical bs banking systems in Thailand I guess

Mine was in UK.

I was working for Hertz rent-a-car during the sixties/seventies back in Switzerland, first in operations, later in car control and then in accounting. We never billed a customer with credit card for a "deposit". The mere fact that he presented a credit card constituted a guarantee for Hertz. When the customer signed the rental agreement at the start of the rental, eventually also for CDW (collission damage waver) and PAI (personal accident insurance) we let him sign a blank credit card slip with his cc printed on it. When he returned the car he received a copy of his R/A with details of mileage in and out and gasoline refill. All rental agreements were computed within about 24 hours with a copy sent to the customer's home address and credit card slip was sent to the cc issuing company to collect the rental fees.

Local licensees as well as those overseas (like Thailand) had to work exactly the same way as per company policies and procedures in order to become a Hertz licensee.

The whole procedure is the same as in the hotel business. I would be surprised if Hertz has changed anything in this respect. I can't talk about Avis, of course, but I guess it was the exact same procedure.
Edited by Dario

Thanks for the replies

Yes it's common unfortunately being Thailand they institute more extreme protective measures, no it wasn't taken out of your account it was just reserved until they release it, they do that in case any tickets or such come up after you return it. it always peeved me too sometimes things were tight and that extra money tied up was a real headache, especially when I was a repeat customer with no incidents ever to charge a deposit for.. 

Edited by WarpSpeed
  • Like 2

I'm still confused. Is the OP talking about Avis Thailand or Avis somewhere else? Is it clear that he has in fact suffered a charge to his card (rather than a reservation only)?

Following a quick look back through my computerised records of credit card charges over the last 10 years (yes I am that anal), I see that:

• I have had deposits charged to my UK credit card (typically for 3-4 days only) when I have hired vans in the UK from regional not national van hirers.
  • No depsoit has been charged to my UK credit card when I have hired cars and pick-ups from Budget Thailand or any mainstream car hirer (including Avis) in the UK

I have rented vehicles quite often, so I believe that the mainstream norm is to reserve a charge not make a debit. I would not rent from Avis Thailand if a one week debit is their policy whenever there are other Thai rental companies that would fit my bill. I've always been happy with Budget in Thailand (and the UK for that matter).

I'm still confused. Is the OP talking about Avis Thailand or Avis somewhere else? Is it clear that he has in fact suffered a charge to his card (rather than a reservation only)?

Following a quick look back through my computerised records of credit card charges over the last 10 years (yes I am that anal), I see that:

• I have had deposits charged to my UK credit card (typically for 3-4 days only) when I have hired vans in the UK from regional not national van hirers.
  • No depsoit has been charged to my UK credit card when I have hired cars and pick-ups from Budget Thailand or any mainstream car hirer (including Avis) in the UK

I have rented vehicles quite often, so I believe that the mainstream norm is to reserve a charge not make a debit. I would not rent from Avis Thailand if a one week debit is their policy whenever there are other Thai rental companies that would fit my bill. I've always been happy with Budget in Thailand (and the UK for that matter).

I just returned from Thailand. Priced rentals from Avis Hertz and Budget. All comparable and all have blocked credit for deposit. Usually a week. Amount depends on car size. Small car 20k THB. Large car 40k THB.

Yeah, rented it at Don Mueng

The confusing bit for me was that the rental charge (2300 baht) and the deposit both read "transaction accepted" in the normal way when buying something with cc.i.e. there was nothing different in either sms wording or the little credit card slip which says "***NO Refund*** (not that I'm suggesting they'll take the 40k)

Mostly though it's the bit about refunding the 40k in 7 to 10 days that irks.

2 days after returning the car my available credit is still 40k less than it should be

It is a particularly irksome habit in Thailand to hand out receipts - for anything from a car to a toothbrush  - with "NO REFUND" printed in large black letters on them. Sometimes it is the only legible thing on the entire slip.

I think it typifies Thai business's attitude to customer service.

Of course one thing that is being over looked here is the high tourist nature of the location, Op did you use a Thai license or a UK license? Thai credit card or UK? They are going to consider that when making the hold, locals not so long as international for obvious reasons.

Of course one thing that is being over looked here is the high tourist nature of the location, Op did you use a Thai license or a UK license? Thai credit card or UK? They are going to consider that when making the hold, locals not so long as international for obvious reasons.

KBank Credit Card, Thai license

Still have 40k less available balance 3 days after completing my "contract" with Avis

KBank Credit Card, Thai license

Still have 40k less available balance 3 days after completing my "contract" with Avis

• Like 1

OK an update:

I rang Avis.

"When can I have the 40k unblocked in my account?"

"Actually sir for a Thai Credit card it will take 15 days"

"That's a long time, why is this?"

"It is because the bank has to unblock it. We notify the bank to unblock and they then process at their end. It has nothing to do with us"

"That seems a long time to be without my money. Do many people complain about this issue"

"No, most people understand how it works" (sarky bitch).

So I repeated my details and she said she'd try to speed up the process by contacting their accounting dept.

Moral of the story - dunno, just be aware that your "deposit" will take a long time to be available again, and a reminder that "amazing Thailand" is still alive and kicking in the 21st century.

• Like 1

OK an update:

I rang Avis.

"It is because the bank has to unblock it. We notify the bank to unblock and they then process at their end. It has nothing to do with us"

"That seems a long time to be without my money. Do many people complain about this issue"

So I repeated my details and she said she'd try to speed up the process by contacting their accounting dept.

Moral of the story - dunno, just be aware that your "deposit" will take a long time to be available again, and a reminder that "amazing Thailand" is still alive and kicking in the 21st century.

Are you championing some crusade here, did you desperately need to use the blocked credit and were unable to? Are you a man who champions issues out of principles and are all females bitches? No, then take up the issue with the card issuer, not with the people who have to play by their rules or with the country as a whole, Thai. banks are not unique in what you've described, now you know, learn from it and move on.

• Like 1

OK an update:

I rang Avis.

w00t.gif  That never happened to me, you must be too calm when making your delivery,  act like a raving lunatic so they just want to get me out of the place, that must be why? biggrin.png Wait, wait for it, it's coming!... 

But that's horse manure he's feeding you as I know for certain I ALWAYS gave them ( car rental places) an ear full when they held my deposits. They hear it a lot but of course being Thailand, nothing is ever wrong!

• Like 1

OK an update:

I rang Avis.

Are you championing some crusade here, did you desperately need to use the blocked credit and were unable to? Are you a man who champions issues out of principles and are all females bitches? No, then take up the issue with the card issuer, not with the people who have to play by their rules or with the country as a whole, Thai. banks are not unique in what you've described, now you know, learn from it and move on.

Sigh...yes mother

I needed the 40k to bail out an orphanage that has now gone under thus forcing all the wee kiddies onto the street

or

I thought the information might be useful to other people hiring cars, that their deposit will sit elsewhere for 15 days, and financially backing orphanages and homes for lost ducklings will be futile

• Like 2