Tank bags...

Any of you use them ?

Thoughts and models recommended ?

Also, apart from ordering online from overseas, is there anywhere that does them here (apart from CRSaddlebags and Paddock). I like the Ogio SuperMini bag but can't find it in Thailand.

Edited by cornishcarlos

Make sure, if you are considering a magnetic tank bag , that your tank is actually metal. Some bikes [eg Honda cbr 600rr] do not have metal tanks anymore, the 'tank' is actually a plastic cover that sits above the actual petrol tank.

I use a bag called an AXIO TAIL PAK which I have found very useful indeed and looks pretty cool on sports bikes

I use the Rapid Transit Recon 19 bag.  Honking big, it swallows a whole bunch of stuff to include a 10" Asus Transformer tablet/keyboard combo.  Purchased donkey years ago, you can still buy it new because it's that good.  The phone pocket will hold one of those 1000 baht Nokias and that's about it; don't have much use for the map pocket unless I write myself notes before the trip and shove it in there.  Being as big as it is, it does take about 10cm off the lock to lock travel on each side of most all bikes I've had it on.

That's about the only bad things I have to say about it.  It's magnetic, which is a big help when it's time to fuel.  I just unhook the the side closest to the pump and swivel it over out of the way.  It has a rubbery surface on top of the magnets that prevents scratching.  Includes a rain cover that slots in a pouch and pulls out, over and back to be secured by a drawstring...super handy and you don't lose it!  The two side pockets are used for tools in one and a bottle of whatever drink (usually honey lemon Oishi) in the other.  The drink reservoir, purchased separately, is handy as well as the tube holders on both sides of the bag.

The only non bag issue I've had with this model is the funny shaped tanks.  On my CBR 150 (old carb'd model) it fit perfectly.  On the Ninja 250 (OG '08 model) it fit ok, but looked a little funny due to the shape of the tank.  On my CB500X...it's been an adventure.  At first I tried putting it on like the other bikes.  Didn't work to well due to the shape of the tank.  And the seat.  That big banana part of the seat that comes up the tank really screwed with the rear magnet attachment.  So I tried tucking that part back up and in...it held without issue but sure looked and felt flimsy.  Eventually I broke down and turned it around backwards.  Problem solved; the rear magnetic attachment now goes down the front of the tank where the headclamp is, the side wings are firmly attached and the front magnet is near my family jewels (doesn't seem to affect virility...so far).  It has proven to be a bit better, in my opinion, in that the bag now opens from the front of the bike rather than from the rear.  I understand about the design being so the wind forces down any open flaps...but it sure is a pain the arse to open it up quickly and see inside when wearing a full face helmet and at a stop light.

Another interesting development is Givi's Tanklock system.  You back out 3 or 4 screws from the fuel cap ring on your bike, attach an adapter, and you're good to go.  The bag pops onto the adapter and when you need to take it off you just depress a lever.  Other than the system being stupid expensive, the CB500X doesn't have the correct ring on it.  Don't know what I would do with the bag when I took it off to refuel either; trying to hold it or balance it somewhere whilst fishing out the money to pay would be a pain I'd imagine.  But of course it is a nice technical development so I am interested.

I would definitely not recommend going with straps unless you absolutely had to.  The hassle of unhooking them...fishing the straps up to rehook them...etc when you are refueling seems like a way to be really embarrassed.  If you do have a plastic tank, getting it removed and some metal plates bonded to the inside of it at strategically located places would probably be a better idea.  Seeing as how they are below the plastic they really don't affect the looks of the bike.  If you use straps and you don't want to ride with the bag...are you going to take the straps off each time?

• Like 1

You can find many options at 320 sp - but fake still one tenth of the original price. Also Panda Rider, Givi and Paddock has lots of genuine options.

I personally do not use any tank bag as i find them claustrophobic as they restrict my movements and vision especially on a sport bike. Also cuts air flow and sometime creates noise and wind disturbance.

Not to mention scratches on the tank.

But for a naked, touring or adventure bike with upright ergonomics and some more room, they should be OK especially if the tank is located low.

I used an el cheapo Scoyco tank bag for a few years. Very well made. Super strong magnets + the safety strap. Exponded to a size that I could rest my chin on and hold enough gear for an arctic expedition. Had a handy little waterproof cover too. The problem was - and is - that tankbags needs a tank with a certain profile to be useful. Mostly require a fairly flat top. My CB500X has a tank that curves down toward the rider fairly steeply. So the tank bag is basically no use - aside from the fact that the design means there isn't much metal for the magnets to grip onto.

So, tank shape and materials is crucial in choosing a tank bag. If the tank can't do it,  you have the traditional options of top box, panniers or a bag strapped to a rack. If you can use a tank bag, I am happy to say that  the cheap Scoyco brand is actually of a high quality. I also found Scoyco jackets and gloves to be ok - and cheap!

• Like 1

I don't really like those giant tank bags.  I have an SW-Motech Bags Connection Daypack II, which you can see here:  http://www.twistedthrottle.com/bags-connection-evo-daypack-quick-lock-tankbag-for-sw-motech-gascap-mounting-system

It's electrified so that you can charge a cellphone or mp3 player, etc., while riding.  I also like that it snaps onto the tank ring (mounting kit, bike model specific), which makes it hard for anybody to snatch the bag while walking by (unlike a magnetic bag).  Also unlike the magnetic bag, since it attaches to the tank ring, it doesn't really even touch the tank paint -- no scratches.  It also has a waterproof cover I pop on when hitting a storm -- keeps everything nice and dry.  It has a locking ring to pull under the bag that releases it -- easy to take off, but not so obvious to a thief.  

I had a magnetic bag on my bike in the States and really liked it, but it did scratch the paint and I had to snatch it off and take it with me every time I got off the bike anywhere. But the electrification option on the Daypack II is really quite nice.  The only real downside to a tank ring mounted bag in Thailand is that if you take your bike to a shop for service (I DON'T!!!), they have no idea about it.  Often the tank needs to come off during service, and since there is a cable attached to the tankring, they will try to take off the tank ring mount instead of simply putting the tank on a small table or stand by the bike, which I do.  If they start messing with the tank ring, you may end up having those wrench monkeys strip the fasteners.

I know you asked about availability in Thailand.  Unfortunately, I don't know.  I normally buy all accessories from the US, where they typically cost half as much.  With post, I have never paid import tax and have brought in well of $8,000US of accessories for my bike (surpassed the cost of the bike!).

[attachment=279020:ER6N.JPG]

[attachment=279021:Tank Bag.JPG]

I don't really like those giant tank bags.  I have an SW-Motech Bags Connection Daypack II, which you can see here:  http://www.twistedthrottle.com/bags-connection-evo-daypack-quick-lock-tankbag-for-sw-motech-gascap-mounting-system

It's electrified so that you can charge a cellphone or mp3 player, etc., while riding.  I also like that it snaps onto the tank ring (mounting kit, bike model specific), which makes it hard for anybody to snatch the bag while walking by (unlike a magnetic bag).  Also unlike the magnetic bag, since it attaches to the tank ring, it doesn't really even touch the tank paint -- no scratches.  It also has a waterproof cover I pop on when hitting a storm -- keeps everything nice and dry.  It has a locking ring to pull under the bag that releases it -- easy to take off, but not so obvious to a thief.  

I had a magnetic bag on my bike in the States and really liked it, but it did scratch the paint and I had to snatch it off and take it with me every time I got off the bike anywhere. But the electrification option on the Daypack II is really quite nice.  The only real downside to a tank ring mounted bag in Thailand is that if you take your bike to a shop for service (I DON'T!!!), they have no idea about it.  Often the tank needs to come off during service, and since there is a cable attached to the tankring, they will try to take off the tank ring mount instead of simply putting the tank on a small table or stand by the bike, which I do.  If they start messing with the tank ring, you may end up having those wrench monkeys strip the fasteners.

I know you asked about availability in Thailand.  Unfortunately, I don't know.  I normally buy all accessories from the US, where they typically cost half as much.  With post, I have never paid import tax and have brought in well of $8,000US of accessories for my bike (surpassed the cost of the bike!).

attachicon.gifER6N.JPG

attachicon.gifTank Bag.JPG

Had to laugh; those big ugly reflectors required on the sides in the States are not here...and you went and slapped them on your panniers.

attachicon.gifER6N.JPG

attachicon.gifTank Bag.JPG

Had to laugh; those big ugly reflectors required on the sides in the States are not here...and you went and slapped them on your panniers.

Hey, they match the bike.  Think of ladies accessories like bracelets and belts that match the purse!

I don't even remember why I put them on there.  The panners came from the States.  Maybe they came with them and I just mindlessly slapped them on.  Oh well, on balance, I also have a plate flipper that allows me to be an undetected scofflaw.  All the camera can get is shots of those gaudy and vulgar reflectors as I ride off into the sunset.

[attachment=279022:Plate Up1.JPG]

[attachment=279023:Plate Down.JPG]

[attachment=279024:SpeedFlip Switch.JPG]

Thanks guys..

As usual lots of different yet valid opinions..

Personally, I just want a small bag for essential kit. Magnetic is fine, most these days have well padded magnets, so no sratching.

The Ogio SuperMini is just $60us which is less than 2000 baht. Might wait till I go state side next year. Unless anyone is making a trip soon and can get me one :)
  • Like 1

I second the kriega bags. I have one for the tank and one for the rear pillion seat. The rear seat one straps around the underneath of the seat and the seat locks it in place, never marked any fairings or anything. The tank one came with a strap that goes over the tank, bit fiddly to fit depending on the bike but they are generally universal.

I second the kriega bags. I have one for the tank and one for the rear pillion seat. The rear seat one straps around the underneath of the seat and the seat locks it in place, never marked any fairings or anything. The tank one came with a strap that goes over the tank, bit fiddly to fit depending on the bike but they are generally universal.

What do you do when fueling up?
From what I can see on tge PandaRiders site, the tank adaptor would cover most fill caps..!!

I like the look of the bags but just worry about inconvenience...

Post more pics guys, always good to see the actual product mounted, makes deciding much easier :)

What do you do when fueling up?
From what I can see on tge PandaRiders site, the tank adaptor would cover most fill caps..!!

I like the look of the bags but just worry about inconvenience...

Post more pics guys, always good to see the actual product mounted, makes deciding much easier smile.png

There are 2 clips quick release clips on the mounting strap, so you just lift it up and lean it on the bars / screen when filling up. The one I have on the rear seat here is plenty big enough for a weekend away, it's 20 litres

848.jpg

• Like 2