Bike police patrols launched in Chiang Mai

webfact

Bike police patrols launched in Chiang Mai

CHIANG MAI, 19 August 2014 (NNT) - To build an impression on Chiang Mai, a hub of tourism in the northern region of Thailand, the bicycle police patrols are being implemented in various tourist areas including Pra Singh Temple, Chedi Luang Temple and within Chiang Mai’s moat to provide security for and to help facilitate foreign tourists.

The patrol officers can speak many languages and even hold Master's degrees. They will work in shifts from 8 am to 4 pm and 4 pm to midnight.

At night, they will intensify patrols around Moon Muang Road, Loy Kroh Road and the Night Bazaar. In addition, they will recommend routes and help tourists if they face unfair transportation fees or prices on goods that are too high.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-08-19 footer_n.gif

How long will this last ?,a few weeks at most,which seems to be

the life time of policies and crack downs like this .which is a pity

really ,as tourists do need protection (mostly from themselves)

regards Worgeordie

Thats a very good Idea, police bicycle patrols cruising around quietly looking out for stuff

people are up to, in all the little soi's.

Should allso make the female tourists feel safer in the evenings.

Aswell some of the pissed and cofused drunken lads, all in all i think thats a realy good

idea.

• Like 1

regards Worgeordie

Non contributing post of the day.

regards Worgeordie

Well make mine No2 then cos unfortunately we all know that the chances are he is right!!!!!!

• Like 1

regards Worgeordie

Well make mine No2 then cos unfortunately we all know that the chances are he is right!!!!!!

Of course he's right, the police are not known for their love of the great outdoors during the daytime, too hot, too wet, too much traffic, an air conditioned police station or office is much more preferable.

I live close to Kad Suan Kaew Central. It would be nice to have a officer here between 11.00 p.m. and midnight to pick off the bike racers. He could sit at the Shell station across the road and pick them off as they roar in to fill their tanks. If they roar out of the gas station (which most often is the case) they could have another officer down the road to flag em down.

First of all "speak many languages"... Right...... "even hold a masters degree" I seriously doubt that any police officer in Thailand (or any other country come to that, in the UK for example a Masters would guarantee fast track promotion up the ranks) hold a Masters... If they did, they would on a cushy government job with a decent salary. I wonder why they say stuff like this?

Thats a very good Idea, police bicycle patrols cruising around quietly looking out for stuff

Aswell some of the pissed and cofused drunken lads, all in all i think thats a realy good

idea.

I've got a woody....

First of all "speak many languages"... Right...... "even hold a masters degree" I seriously doubt that any police officer in Thailand (or any other country come to that, in the UK for example a Masters would guarantee fast track promotion up the ranks) hold a Masters... If they did, they would on a cushy government job with a decent salary. I wonder why they say stuff like this?

Are you saying you doubt police officers in other countries have a Masters Degree? It is quite common in the U.S. Most departments have a minimum requirement of an Associates Degree (2 years college). In fact, as an encouragement, my agency paid for further education up to and including a Masters Degree. It was not a fast track, but one of many factors taken into consideration for advancement and promotions.

The bike patrol will only work with the right kind of officer for the job. It sounds like they realize that and if what they are saying is true, it is a good start. I have to agree with the posters who say many ideas don't last long here. I hope this is an exception.

• Like 1

Some years ago, perhaps 10-11. The sois off Rathwithi were quite dangerous for women at night and quite early at that - 9ish. I knew a few women who were robbed of their bags ans smacked around a bit.

I was staying at the RCN in those days on soi 7. They put police on all the corners....that lasted for a couple of weeks......

I think this new idea is excellent, but how long will it last. That is the problem in Thailand.

idea.

I've got a woody....
Ya got a woody? "like the copers in licra shorts do ya?

Are you saying you doubt police officers in other countries have a Masters Degree? It is quite common in the U.S. Most departments have a minimum requirement of an Associates Degree (2 years college). In fact, as an encouragement, my agency paid for further education up to and including a Masters Degree. It was not a fast track, but one of many factors taken into consideration for advancement and promotions.

The bike patrol will only work with the right kind of officer for the job. It sounds like they realize that and if what they are saying is true, it is a good start. I have to agree with the posters who say many ideas don't last long here. I hope this is an exception.

I think in most countries a requirement to enter law enforcement requires a half decent education (except Thailand of course where money can get you in and in at different levels depending on the amount involved) I'm not sure about associate degrees after 2 years of college as my home country has no such thing so not able to say much really but I assume it must be reasonably difficult to achieve. I did mention MD's and that is usually the way to fast track into forensics, or CID etc. To many of your police cyclists have MD's or the ability to speak languages? In the UK, probably not. I'm not saying the bike patrol is good or bad I just don't see too many Thais with language skills and MD's queuing up for the job! In fact finding Thais with language skills is a challenge as you're probably aware. Tell me how far out I am.. The ideal candidates for this job (I'm talking about Thailand) would be somebody in their 30's to 40's with a willingness and ability to empathize quickly with tourist or Thai vendor (for example). An easy understanding of the law. Gregarious and approachable (which would probably mean no sidearm) and the rare ability (in Thailand) to not accept the first story as being the truth just because it's the first story! I'm sure these people must be out there but they would need to suitably incentivized to work in the heat & humidity, the hot tanning sun, rain etc etc

• Like 1

I think in most countries a requirement to enter law enforcement requires a half decent education (except Thailand of course where money can get you in and in at different levels depending on the amount involved) I'm not sure about associate degrees after 2 years of college as my home country has no such thing so not able to say much really but I assume it must be reasonably difficult to achieve. I did mention MD's and that is usually the way to fast track into forensics, or CID etc. To many of your police cyclists have MD's or the ability to speak languages? In the UK, probably not. I'm not saying the bike patrol is good or bad I just don't see too many Thais with language skills and MD's queuing up for the job! In fact finding Thais with language skills is a challenge as you're probably aware. Tell me how far out I am.. The ideal candidates for this job (I'm talking about Thailand) would be somebody in their 30's to 40's with a willingness and ability to empathize quickly with tourist or Thai vendor (for example). An easy understanding of the law. Gregarious and approachable (which would probably mean no sidearm) and the rare ability (in Thailand) to not accept the first story as being the truth just because it's the first story! I'm sure these people must be out there but they would need to suitably incentivized to work in the heat & humidity, the hot tanning sun, rain etc etc

I agree with most of what you say and appreciate the intelligent input. All police officers in the U.S. start at the same level, patrol officer, regardless of education or other qualifications. All must then also attend and graduate from an accredited police academy. Most states also have laws mandating ongoing or annual update training in certain aspects (firearms qualification, driving, criminal law updates, etc.) to maintain your accreditation as an officer. I am talking police departments and not federal "alphabet agencies" which have different requirements. So, a patrol officer working bike patrols is as likely to have advanced degrees as anyone else.

Usually the bicycle patrols are part of a community policing bureau or division and one must apply for the position. Being multilingual would depend on the location. Some areas it would be an advantage, tourist or ethnic specific areas, others it would not be necessary. It is usually younger officers as those in their 40's usually aren't real keen on riding on bikes all day, or have advanced to other positions. I would say the same would apply to Thailand, although having more mature attitudes and experience (as your post suggests) of course is an asset.

• Like 1

I agree with most of what you say and appreciate the intelligent input. All police officers in the U.S. start at the same level, patrol officer, regardless of education or other qualifications. All must then also attend and graduate from an accredited police academy. Most states also have laws mandating ongoing or annual update training in certain aspects (firearms qualification, driving, criminal law updates, etc.) to maintain your accreditation as an officer. I am talking police departments and not federal "alphabet agencies" which have different requirements. So, a patrol officer working bike patrols is as likely to have advanced degrees as anyone else.

Usually the bicycle patrols are part of a community policing bureau or division and one must apply for the position. Being multilingual would depend on the location. Some areas it would be an advantage, tourist or ethnic specific areas, others it would not be necessary. It is usually younger officers as those in their 40's usually aren't real keen on riding on bikes all day, or have advanced to other positions. I would say the same would apply to Thailand, although having more mature attitudes and experience (as your post suggests) of course is an asset.

There's a bit of a difference between the USA and the UK (there's lots of difference but we're just talking about this topic!) If you enter the police force in the UK with a good degree (MD basically) I don't think they will need to go through the "constable" thing and will get assigned a driver's role while they push through their Detective or Forensic exams - I don't know if this is the same in each constabulary but I know of one where this happens. My son in law left his job in marine science armed with 2 MD's and went into the force. I think he did something like 12 weeks chauffeuring and studied law and then got moved up the ranks simply by passing relevant exams. I can't say I agree with this because in my opinion, nothing replaces hard earned experience.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Where I worked in the U.S. i was in charge of our Community Policing Unit for some time. Bicycle patrols were an important part of that. If properly trained, they are well received by the general public, the businesses and a great public relations tool. They are mainly for crime prevention and not apprehension, although they should certainly be able to do so when needed. it sounds like the Chiang Mai Police have chosen well trained individuals and I hope they continue to do it correctly. I wish them the best of luck. IMHO it is a great idea, both for the tourists, general public and the businesses.

Many cities in the US have Bike Patrols and they are very useful as they can reach where they are needed much faster. I am sure that they will be equipped with walkie talkies as well as distinctly equipped, marked and colored bikes as well as uniforms that are easy to spot from a distance. Many cities in the US also have police patrol on horses, but the horses in the US are much bigger and taller than what I have seen in Thailand, the idea being that they can see above the crowds from far and are able to reach where needed even among heavy pedestrian traffic. The police officers on bikes usually wear shorts.

What a bunch of nonsense.

Just give them electric scooters from China

The only advantage a bicycle has over standard motorized scooter is less noise.

A small motorbike can go anywhere a bicycle can.

For sure its healthier to get some exercise but other than that what is the advantage?

Well one thing I can think of is the local drivers may have a bit more 'respect' for cyclists if they end up with a few bullet holes in their rear window screens after nearly knocking a few cops off their bikes..

For sure its healthier to get some exercise but other than that what is the advantage?

The first thing that comes to mind is bicycles can legally go places scooters are not allowed. I know, I know, but that is the example they should be setting.

regards Worgeordie

But pipped at the post by a fair margin!

The first thing that comes to mind is bicycles can legally go places scooters are not allowed. I know, I know, but that is the example they should be setting.

Please elaborate

Where are bicycles allowed to go where motorcycles are not? inside shoppng malls?

Sure they should stay off the sidewalk but worst case the officer would have walk what? 2 meters across the sidewalk?

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

Please elaborate

Where are bicycles allowed to go where motorcycles are not? inside shoppng malls?

Sure they should stay off the sidewalk but worst case the officer would have walk what? 2 meters across the sidewalk?

Yes, on sidewalks. Down some of the narrow lanes in the old city. Inside the parks and temple grounds. Through walking streets and festival areas. Between traffic lanes and parking areas. When blocked by and obstacle, pick it up and carry over/around it. Use your imagination. Sure, the officer could park his bike and walk, then come back and get his bike again, but that sort of defeats the purpose doesn't it? Better interaction with the public is a main goal. Even a scooter isn't quite the same as a non motorized bicycle. This isn't reinventing the wheel, Community policing and bicycle patrols has been to be a proven success in many countries. If done properly, it could be successful here also.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_bicycle

Please elaborate

Yes, on sidewalks. Down some of the narrow lanes in the old city. Inside the parks and temple grounds. Through walking streets and festival areas. Between traffic lanes and parking areas. When blocked by and obstacle, pick it up and carry over/around it. Use your imagination. Sure, the officer could park his bike and walk, then come back and get his bike again, but that sort of defeats the purpose doesn't it? Better interaction with the public is a main goal. Even a scooter isn't quite the same as a non motorized bicycle. This isn't reinventing the wheel, Community policing and bicycle patrols has been to be a proven success in many countries. If done properly, it could be successful here also.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_bicycle

I wholeheartedly agree clap2.gifpolice on bike patrol are and seem more approachable. They use bicycles in major airport terminals also, I saw them being used at Frankfurt airport last month, and YES inside shopping malls too. AND inside palaces too! The Lakshmi Villas Palace, in Vadodra formerly known as Baroda in India, which is four times as big as the Buckingham Palace and approximately 1/4 mile long; bicycles were used routinely inside the palace by the servants; this may seem irrelevant to the irreverent but bikes can be used from the palaces to the alleys of Marrakesh tongue.png