Comprehensive English-Thai dictionary for iPad?

a1falang

Hello, some recommendations for a comprehensive (not basic/beginner) English-to-Thai dictionary that can work offline on an iPad. This is for a native Thai speaker who is presently in the US who just needs help understanding some of the more difficult English words used in various assignments. This is not for a tourist who's just arrived in Thailand or learning Thai, so

1. Talking dictionary NOT necessary

2. Thai-to-English section NOT wanted

3. Can't be online only or need a WiFi connection to work, must be an actual iPad app that works offline

I have a hardcopy version of the Oxford River Books English-Thai Dictionary, which would be ideal if it was in the form of an iPad app (although it translates "That's the spirit!" as "Ghost come already" in Thai LOL).

• 3 weeks later...

My favorite is Talking Thai by Paiboon Publishing. But, it might be more than you need.

I couldn't agree more. Nothing else comes close. It's 20 dollars, if I remember rightly, but worth every penny - the same price as a good paper dictionary, but this one talks... It also has loads of display options. You can have phonetic Thai, real Thai, simplified Thai (separates words and uses f, r,l, h as tone markers. I love this option) so makes a great tool for improving your reading too. You change settings to suit your level of learning...

I like it enough that I've bought it twice, once for Android and then again when I saw the light glowing in the sky and bought iOS devices :-)

• Like 1

My favorite is Talking Thai by Paiboon Publishing. But, it might be more than you need.

Not sure how this will help 'a native Thai speaker who is presently in the US who just needs help understanding some of the more difficult English words used in various assignments.' which is what the OP asked for.

Not sure how this will help 'a native Thai speaker who is presently in the US who just needs help understanding some of the more difficult English words used in various assignments.' which is what the OP asked for.

I'm glad at least one person actually read my original post!

Edited by a1falang

• 4 weeks later...