Central Shopping Mall v Pantip Plaza

vitp4145

Hi all,

This might seem rather old hat to most of you, but at the tender age of 58 I've managed to avoid owning a mobile phone. However, now that I am in Thailand for retirement, I think I need one. Googling shows me a plethora of options for buying one. I basically want a phone that makes phone calls and has a SMS text capacity, but that's all. I have my laptop and tablet for all my internet and game needs. I don't want any complicated plans and stuff, a top up via card from 7/11 would do just fine. It would be neat if I could get cheap rates on phoning home to the UK.

Would it be best to head out to the Central Mall or should I pop down to Pantip Plaza? Or doesn't it make any difference?

I just bought a 600 baht blue Nokia that texts and does voice. My computers and cameras are doing their own work..and do not need replacement. If I get mad at the phone, I just toss it. Also, can leave it anywhere...nobody wants to grab it. LOL. Love it.

That would do me just fine. Where would a new arrival in Chiang Mai go for one of those?

I just bought a 600 baht blue Nokia that texts and does voice. My computers and cameras are doing their own work..and do not need replacement. If I get mad at the phone, I just toss it. Also, can leave it anywhere...nobody wants to grab it. LOL. Love it.

That would do me just fine. Where would a new arrival in Chiang Mai go for one of those?

Any nearby Big C, Mall, market area, Tesco Lotus.... pretty much any cellphone shop. Where do you stay?

KSK basement great selection and you can get your sim card same time.

• Like 1

7-11 sells a 599 baht phone that seems to suit your needs...

You might check out Big C to Tesco too for basic phones - the guys there are very helpful too at getting it up and running...

Edited by sfokevin

Any nearby Big C, Mall, market area, Tesco Lotus.... pretty much any cellphone shop. Where do you stay?

I am staying at a hotel on the south side of the old city ... Waluai Road ... I've looked around at the local cell phone shop, but he was selling new ones at B3,000 and second-hand ones at B1,250. I don't need to spend B3,000 on a basic phone, though I would want a new one as at B600 it's not the end of the world if it goes wrong. Do these places sell SIM cards as well?

The el cheapo Nokia for around 600-700 baht is hard to beat.Had one for 7 years, been dropped a few times, never missed a beat.

If you just want a basic phone hard to beat. I declare I have no financial interest in the Nokia Company or its distributors.sad.png

• Like 1

Have this mobile myself. My kids get embarrassed when I bring it out in public (bring on the jabs). Does everything I need it to do.

• Like 2

The el cheapo Nokia for around 600-700 baht is hard to beat.Had one for 7 years, been dropped a few times, never missed a beat.

If you just want a basic phone hard to beat. I declare I have no financial interest in the Nokia Company or its distributors.sad.png

Just as well, because they don't sell phones any more.

By the way...get the biggest screen you can... you will need the salesman to turn it on and show you. The keys are easy on the cheap Nokia, but the visual screen turned out to be smaller than the size I thought it would be....even though the actual screen was large. There are similar phones..but my Nokia is just plain and simple. No swiping and no choosing through tons of options. Turn on and use. I like the annoying SMS ring in loud, obnoxious Morse Code. Makes me feel every bit the Cheap Charlie I am. One look at that phone and the bar gals just move on down the line.

• Like 1

By the way...get the biggest screen you can... you will need the salesman to turn it on and show you. The keys are easy on the cheap Nokia, but the visual screen turned out to be smaller than the size I thought it would be....even though the actual screen was large. There are similar phones..but my Nokia is just plain and simple. No swiping and no choosing through tons of options. Turn on and use. I like the annoying SMS ring in loud, obnoxious Morse Code. Makes me feel every bit the Cheap Charlie I am. One look at that phone and the bar gals just move on down the line.

Also enjoy the look of disdain on the salespersons face when you point to this model.giggle.gif

I went to the Electronic Plaza on the main drag south of the Moat. I picked up a Samsung (call and text only) for B567. The young girl did look at me kinda funny when I indicated that was the one I wanted. Still, if it does the job that is all I am concerned with. That the locals will think me a Cheap Charlie ... I can live with that.

• Like 2

Almost impossible to not find a phone that does the basics.

I have been considering upgrading to a smart phone. I will be considering for quite a while. I am not looking for one with bells and whistles just a basic smart phone will have enough bells and whistles. Also I want one with a good camera. A friend who is into electronics tells me Samsung is coming out with some really good ones in the 4,500 to 6,500 baht range.

The thing that drives me to look for one is I want one with a louder ring tone and better reception than the 600 baht Nokia I have now. The one I have now has certain areas that it will not work in right here in the house some of the times and other times it will work fine. Also as My hearing is not that good any more I want the ring to be louder. Tired of people telling me phone is ringing.

Let me add my 2 cents to the pile.

I have 2 of the el cheapo Nokias above mentioned. They get my vote also.

Now let me add the following. Go down to the Lotus-Tesco on the super hwy, by Kamthien Mkt. Take the elevator to the 2nd floor and as you get off as you would be walking directly into Lotus, there on your right will see a phone company shop , called DeTac; they have the phones mentioned [ between 500 & 600 Baht } You can also get the sim card there and purchase some different tel programs. The one I have costs 199 baht per month and allows you to call any other Detac phone between the hours of 5Am to 5 PM absolutely free. After those hours other detac phones are charged 1.25 baht per minute. Other non detac phones cost just a few satang more. We use it as an intercom.

Now you can call overseas and I have called back to the USA and talked for a little less than 10 mins and the cost was like 18 baht.

I also had it registered so I recharge it from my bank by transferring funds by computer, in just a few minutes...... this is the greatest value to me.

If you are interested in this and would like more info, stop by The Pun Pun and I will be happy to show you and answer any questions I can. I'll even throw in a free cup of coffee to make it more interesting......

Let me know if you have some interest.

Gonzo

By the way...I bought my gal a 5000 baht (on sale) ASUS and it's got everything. WiFi, Bluetooth, Camera (front and back), plenty of storage...and sends text and voice. (Her laptop broke and this was cheaper than a new laptop..lol) She loves it to death. It's not overly large...about 3 times the size of my Nokia skinflint. I just borrow hers when we are out and about...if I want fiddle around with something while I am drinking a Leo. Obviously, if she were not with me, I would not have that option...and would be fiddling around with some other gal, instead.

Edited by slipperylobster

Mmmm, tricky one...where to buy a basic mobile phone?

Beats where to buy the best burger I suppose!

How about any supermarket, any 7/11 or any one of the 1000's of mobile phone shops?

Edited by kjhbigv

re

I bought my gal a 5000 baht (on sale) ASUS and it's got everything. WiFi, Bluetooth, Camera (front and back), plenty of storage...and sends text and voice. (Her laptop broke and this was cheaper than a new laptop..lol) She loves it to death

like this one i bought for a girl the other day ?

dave2

post-42592-0-62214200-1408578163_thumb.j

I've noticed that many people who used to swear by the plain vanilla basic phones often find themselves upgrading to a 'smart phone' as they discover more and more what a smart phone can do to simplify daily chores. Sometimes, for some, it's hard to admit that change can be good.

I've noticed that many people who used to swear by the plain vanilla basic phones often find themselves upgrading to a 'smart phone' as they discover more and more what a smart phone can do to simplify daily chores. Sometimes, for some, it's hard to admit that change can be good.

How does it simplify daily chores? Frankly, if I had all the capabilities of my computer in my pocket connected to a satellite, I can not imagine how that would significantly assist in my daily chores? Please do let me know what am I missing?

How does it simplify daily chores? Frankly, if I had all the capabilities of my computer in my pocket connected to a satellite, I can not imagine how that would significantly assist in my daily chores? Please do let me know what am I missing?

Alarms, reminders, notes, grocery lists, online recipes, GPS (maps), address book, camera. All these things can aid in our daily chores. Except doing the dishes and taking out the rubbish.

When the wheel was being invented would you have questioned that?

• Like 1

Alarms, reminders, notes, grocery lists, online recipes, GPS (maps), address book, camera. All these things can aid in our daily chores. Except doing the dishes and taking out the rubbish.

I feel a Luddite/ Techie feud is in the making.wink.png

I do not find any of that would simplify my daily chores. I do not need a map or GPS to get around nor do I need alarms to keep me on schedule. A simple list on the back of an old receipt is occasionally helpful but only used occasionally.

To suggest that a smart phone is anywhere near the wheel as a useful invention is a far reach of the imagination.