ED-visa new rules : which Thai embassy to apply for renew ED-visa ?

Hello,

It seems more and more difficult to find the good Thai embassy to renew ED-visa.

Most of them seem now to reject application for a lot of new reasons (you should have significant money on saving accounts, you should attend school 5 days/week & 5 hours/day, or simply they do not accept ED-visa ...)

As I understand for now, Lao embassy seems to be the reliable one to apply.

Has anyone have others experiences with some others Thai embassy ?

Thanks for sharing

I did London as well, for a multi. They seemed a bit reluctant to issue a multi until I started talking to them in Thai, and then they lightened up and it was a pretty painless process- come back the next day, pick it up.

Anywhere other than KL Malaysia is good. PP Cambodia is a maybe.

KL Malaysia is no good?? Why? I was going to apply there O_O

They apparently only do ED visas for formal schools now.....i.e. Universities. Not language schools.

Oh, I see. That's a shame ((

But thanks!! It's nice to know.

I'm wondering, would PP Cambodia be okay for getting an ED Visa for a language school?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

They apparently only do ED visas for formal schools now.....i.e. Universities. Not language schools.

I'm wondering, would PP Cambodia be okay for getting an ED Visa for a language school?

Ubonjoe just said maybe...he is pretty up to date on this stuff. As far as I know, you still can, but not a good place.....takes 4-5 days. Most people just go to Vientiane. They do it overnight and no one seems to ever have any problems there (including myself....just got mine last week).

Phnom Phen requires you to pay an agent unless you want to wait for days.

Better choices are Penang, Malaysia and Savannakhet Laos.

If coming back via land have 20K cash to show at the border check if asked.

You sure you need the 20K for an ED Visa? I thought that was for visa exempt/tourist visa?

Ubonjoe just said maybe...he is pretty up to date on this stuff. As far as I know, you still can, but not a good place.....takes 4-5 days. Most people just go to Vientiane. They do it overnight and no one seems to ever have any problems there (including myself....just got mine last week).

Got it )) Thanks again!!

You sure you need the 20K for an ED Visa? I thought that was for visa exempt/tourist visa?

Rules says 10K visa exempt, 20K non-immigrant visa. In most cases asked only at Sadao and few other places when they want to make it difficult for someone.

• Like 1

Would bring an updated thai bank book qualify instead of cash in pocket.

At the border they may want to see cash (foreign currency is OK) and nothing else.

It is not a case of being logic or being right, it is a case of giving them what they want and move on.

Would bring an updated thai bank book qualify instead of cash in pocket.

At the border they may want to see cash (foreign currency is OK) and nothing else.

It is not a case of being logic or being right, it is a case of giving them what they want and move on.

Yep....we have had several members try this and it got them nowhere.

I am going for my 4th 90 day extension on my 1st educational visa on Monday.

I hope no problems.

After 3 months I will decide about studying at the thai at the same school again

Extensions for education do not require financial proof. You may be required to obtain a new visa after one year in country.

Curious of opinions.

What percentage of people with an education visa for learning Thai have a job in Thailand but can't get a work permit for their job?

How many people study Thai 4 hours a week and not working for one year.

Just back from Vientiane with my first Non-Ed. Going to start Thai language classes now. Zero questions or issues at the consulate, only spent less than 20 minutes there total for drop off and pick up both. IO at the border asked if I was a teacher, said no (I'm not), and he stamped me in.

Didn't use any services other than a driver we hired in Vientiane to take us to Udon Thani.

"it seems more and more difficult to find the good Thai embassy to renew ED-visa"

"Most of them seem now to reject application for a lot of new reasons"

Sources ? or is this just the usual Thai Visa forum hearsay that has gotten people absolutely nowhere over the last couple of months...

"it seems more and more difficult to find the good Thai embassy to renew ED-visa"

Sources ? or is this just the usual Thai Visa forum hearsay that has gotten people absolutely nowhere over the last couple of months...

Sources come from school (Pro-language).

Sources come from school (Pro-language).

Other than KL I have seen no reports of anybody being denied an ED visa as long a they had the correct paper work at the nearby embassies and consulates.

KL stopped doing ED visas for language schools in October of last year.

• Like 1

....and do you need to show proof of cash deposits in Vientiane to the Thai consulate for getting the Non Ed first leg 90 days visa or just the letter from MOE /photos /application fee/ valid passport ?

Is it best I have 20k Tha Baht on me coming over the border going over to Udon or would 20k in my ATM card be OK as the Thai bank machines are at the border if I remember correctly.

Edited by freedomnow

....and do you need to show proof of cash deposits in Vientiane to the Thai consulate for getting the Non Ed first leg 90 days visa or just the letter from MOE /photos /application fee/ valid passport ?

Is it best I have 20k Tha Baht on me coming over the border going over to Udon or would 20k in my ATM card be OK as the Thai bank machines are at the border if I remember correctly.

They will not ask for financial proof. You will need what is listed here: http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/en/consular/consular_check/

I have not seen reports of immigration asking for financial proof at the Nong Khai. entry point.

• Like 1