Burmese Girlfriend, Wishing To Get Visitor Visa To Uk. Can Speak Very Good Thai?

Hi everybody,

This is completely serious and would like some constructive feedback, please.....

I have a Burmese girlfriend (not Karen) she speaks very good Thai (so maybe can get Thai citizienship?) would like to get opinions on if she could just get a tourist visa to England (1 month max.)

Any genuine opinions would be appreciated

Cheers

Hi everybody,

This is completely serious and would like some constructive feedback, please.....

I have a Burmese girlfriend (not Karen) she speaks very good Thai (so maybe can get Thai citizienship?) would like to get opinions on if she could just get a tourist visa to England (1 month max.)

Cheers

Please, I would like some genuine help, I think she could qualify for Thai citizenship but not 100% sure.

Any advice from learned people would be appreciated or even a different avenue to approach would be great.

Hi everybody,

Cheers

Does she have a Burmese passport ? I know nothing of the girls background, but if she meets the tourist visa requirements then she can get a visa in her Burmese passport.

If she does not have a Burmese passport, then she should get one.

If, for whatever reason she cant get a Burmese passport or is "stateless", then just being able to speak Thai wont be cause for a grant of Thai citizenship and the issuance of an ID card leading to getting a Thai passport. And if she is in actual fact in this situation, then I very much doubt her background would satisfy the requirements for granting of a tourist visa.

There are a few presumptions in my answer.Maybe you'd like to provide a more detailed description of the girls's background/situation so I could give a more accurate appraisal of the situation.

As far as the UK visa is concerned, provided she has a passport and meets the criteria for the visa she is applying for, she will get one.

She should apply to the embassy in her country of normal residence, and provided she is legally resident in Thailand this will be Bangkok.

Greg,

Assuming (correctly??) that she has no property in her name , no long-standing proper job, and no real money in her name of her own (not what you give her at the last minute to pad out the bank account) , then she is realistically going to struggle with the "reason to return" criteria. You don't say for how long your relationship has been going , but if its a short one , say less than 6 months , that will increase your problems also.

You don't give enough details but if i am correct in my assumptions then you may want to browse several recent threads on this forum which give information and advise on how to tackle the reason to return problem . If i am correct in my above assumptions you have to face it, you have a chance but its got to be a slim one.

There are three ways she can qualify for Thai nationality.

1) Being born anywhere in the world to a Thai national.

2) Being born in Thailand to a foreign national with permanent residence status.

3) Being naturalised as a Thai national having met the minimum criteria for residency in Thailand, which includes a period of time as a permanent resident. This final one his highly unlikely for most people, so I'd be thinking on the basis of information you have given, if she doesn't qualify under 1) or 2) then she is unlikely to be Thai for citizenship purposes.

I don't want to put words into the OP's mouth, but maybe the problem is that, given the current political situation in Burma/Myanmar, is that she doesn't have, and can't get, a Burmese passport?

In which case, I guess she would be in Thailand illegally, which makes things even more complicated!

• 9 months later...

Hi there Greg,

My partner of 15 months, who is karen, was born and has lived all his life in Thailand. He speaks Thai fluently and only understands and speaks alittle of the Karen language. He has also had a 'letter of recomendation' for a Thai identity card for 18 months now and yet he is still waiting for the identity card, which will allows him to get a passport.

I think the chances of your girlfriend getting Thai citizenship are not very good. I'm sorry.

Good luck.

Fastfist

Edited by fastfist