Australian official in surrogacy talks

Lite Beer

Australian official in surrogacy talks
The Nation, agencies

BANGKOK: -- Keen to ensure babies can fly out

Canberra has made another move to secure the passage for Australian couples using Thailand's surrogacy services so they can bring their babies home.

Peter Varghese, the secretary of Australia's Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, met with a top Thai government official yesterday to discuss finding a solution to the issue during a transitional period as Thailand seeks to clamp down on commercial surrogacy through an upcoming law.

This month, the military's ruling National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) approved the draft law, which is designed to protect babies born through assisted reproductive technologies in the wake of "Baby Gammy" scandal.

Born with Down syndrome, Gammy was left behind in Thailand by his Australian parents.

Before it becomes law, the National Legislative Assembly must deliberate and pass the legislation.

There are now concerns that Thailand will make it hard for Australian couples to leave the country with babies born through the country's surrogacy services. In addressing the concerns, Australian authorities have made several moves in an attempt to stop that from happening. Varghese yesterday told Charnchao Chaiyanukij, acting permanent secretary for Justice, that there were about 200 pending surrogacy cases involving Australian couples in Thailand.

"We have to address the issue for the best interests of the babies," Varghese said.

According to Charnchao, Varghese explained that the Australian Embassy in Bangkok strictly required DNA proof before granting Australian citizenship to any baby purportedly born through a surrogate mother.

The surrogate mother must also give her consent before an Australian couple can take their baby home.

Charnchao said Prime Minister General Prayuth Chan-ocha, who is also the NCPO chief, had emphasised that relevant authorities must tackle the issue in line with humanitarian principles.

"We will focus on what benefits the babies the most," Charnchao said.

He said General Paiboon Khumchaya, who is in charge of legal and judicial affairs for the junta, was preparing to discuss with 17 relevant organisations ways to develop clear-cut guidelines regarding commercial surrogacy.

Thailand currently does not have a law governing the practice. Only the Medical Council has regulations addressing the issue. According to the regulations, doctors must not provide services to surrogate mothers paid to carry a baby. Offenders risk losing their medical licences.

The council's president Dr Somsak Lolekha yesterday said the body had questioned three doctors accused of violating the regulations.

"The council's board will convene a meeting on September 5 to decide on their cases and to determine if punishments should be meted out," Somsak said, adding that another three doctors would soon be summoned over the same accusation.

The Department of Health Service Support, meanwhile, has imposed 60-day closure notices on six medical facilities involved in surrogacy services on the grounds that they had failed to ensure their doctors complied with the Medical Council's regulations.

Commenting on the upcoming surrogacy bill, Somsak said he would prefer to see the law stipulate that surrogacy services must be performed in line with the Medical Council's regulations instead of banning the practice.

"In some cases, we have to relax the regulations to help couples who really can't find any blood relative or an in-law to serve as surrogate mothers. But when it becomes the law, it's going to be hard to grant an exemption," Somsak said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Aust-official-in-surrogacy-talks-30242107.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-08-30

Australia should ban it's own citizens seeking surrogacy services overseas.

Relax your own democratic laws to encourage such services being offered by your own citizens. Then you can see those 'baby factory' shop signs in Kings Cross.

Edited by trogers

I'd be quite happy if they just make surrogacy illegal.

Woman pimping out their vaginas for a few bucks just to make a few people happy with designer babies which if they don't like or the product is defetive they just reject leaving misery all round.

Imagine a child like gammies sibling in 20 years time curious to find out where she really come from and finding out she has a baby sister abandoned by her convicted paedofile father who should never even been allowed into Thailand in the first place and a mother who seems just as heartless as him.

The easiest way is make surrogacy like ivory and ban it world wide.!

If your not meant to have a baby then there are millions of orphans looking for good homes and loving parents,

This whole surrogacy thing just seems to be a murky sad world with no thoughts of the child's feelings in the future and if you don't tell the child where he or she came from then your living a lie!

Id be quite happy it you would learn about a topic and know what is reality before go come stuttering about in here. These women dont rent out their vaginas. The do rent their wombs and no sex is involved. They dont even use their own eggs.

Secondly, they have as yet been able to show that Gammy's parents abandoned them. Last i heard they were told the baby would die and were refused to see it and have been fighting to get the 2nd child now they learned it is alive. You have a habit of looking at things through blinders or with tunnel vision.

Third, you convict this man as a pedophile and assume he is bad still. From what i have read his kids say he is a model parent and has turned his life around. Wether or not that is true is not for us to decide. I suppose from now on i will call you a thief, or junkie, or alcoholic cuz im sure you achieved one of these titles at some time in your life.

Lastly, who are you to decide if a couple wants to have their genes make a baby or that they should adopt someone elses baby. That should be an individuals decision. Not some Gov or unaffected persons point of view about adopting. The family wanting the child should be the one to choose.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Woman pimping out their vaginas for a few bucks just to make a few people happy with designer babies which if they don't like or the product is defetive they just reject leaving misery all round.

Imagine a child like gammies sibling in 20 years time curious to find out where she really come from and finding out she has a baby sister abandoned by her convicted paedofile father who should never even been allowed into Thailand in the first place and a mother who seems just as heartless as him.

If your not meant to have a baby then there are millions of orphans looking for good homes and loving parents,

This whole surrogacy thing just seems to be a murky sad world with no thoughts of the child's feelings in the future and if you don't tell the child where he or she came from then your living a lie!

Id be quite happy it you would learn about a topic and know what is reality before go come stuttering about in here. These women dont rent out their vaginas. The do rent their wombs and no sex is involved. They dont even use their own eggs.

Secondly, they have as yet been able to show that Gammy's parents abandoned them. Last i heard they were told the baby would die and were refused to see it and have been fighting to get the 2nd child now they learned it is alive. You have a habit of looking at things through blinders or with tunnel vision.

Third, you convict this man as a pedophile and assume he is bad still. From what i have read his kids say he is a model parent and has turned his life around. Wether or not that is true is not for us to decide. I suppose from now on i will call you a thief, or junkie, or alcoholic cuz im sure you achieved one of these titles at some time in your life.

Lastly, who are you to decide if a couple wants to have their genes make a baby or that they should adopt someone elses baby. That should be an individuals decision. Not some Gov or unaffected persons point of view about adopting. The family wanting the child should be the one to choose.

You can't cure a convicted paedophile especially a serial rockspider like gammy's father. Once a paedophile always a filthy piece of kiddy fiddling slime. Paedophiles should definitely not be allowed to use baby factories to collect their victims. Lowest life form on the planet and always will be,
So make laws for that. Dont stop people wanting offspring the way parrott stutters about.

Relax your own democratic laws to encourage such services being offered by your own citizens. Then you can see those 'baby factory' shop signs in Kings Cross.

Yes...It seems that the Australian government has plenty of time and resources available for improving Thailand and the Thai government. Why not simply focus on implementing new laws in Australia and stop exporting the problem citizens to Thailand for surrogacy services.

I am heartbroken knowing that the previous post was found to be so appalling to you. So what, the poster used the word vagina rather than womb. His statement does in fact summarize the Thai surrogacy industry pretty well. So what, the poster stated that Gammy was a girl. Big deal... Who has not yet been able to identify that Gammy's parents abandoned him? The parents are located in Australia, Gammy in Thailand, they have not tried to contact him (surrogate mother) since returning to Australia. If you question this then watch the 60 Minutes interview. Perhaps you should remove your blinders. Last you heard, well sir, perhaps you should hear more because there have been many updates to the situation since you last heard. The father is a convicted pedo, bad still, the man fondled small innocent children. Yes, I am to decide whether in my opinion he is still bad. By all means, you let someone else make the decision for you. "His kids say he is a model parent", wasn't the daughter the individual that said "We thought it would be easier if we said the boy died". With that said, I question the kids judgement and moral fabric but hey, they believe their dad is a model parent. They should research what society believes to be a model parent. Bet they are surprised...

Edited by traviss
  • Like 1

Yes...It seems that the Australian government has plenty of time and resources available for improving Thailand and the Thai government. Why not simply focus on implementing new laws in Australia and stop exporting the problem citizens to Thailand for surrogacy services.

Places like Victoria in Australia require anyone who wants to enter the IVF or Surrogate services to undergo a criminal record check to prohibit convicted sex offenders from having children, this is one reason why paedophiles head overseas to purchase their kids to feed off. Every single state has it own laws and restrictions on surrogacy.

• Like 2