Misunderstood and stateless in Hong Kong: A transgender woman's nightmare

webfact

Misunderstood and stateless in Hong Kong: A transgender woman's nightmare
By Eliana Rubashkyn, for CNN

Hong Kong (CNN) -- Crossing borders as a transgender woman is always a challenge. There are many reasons immigration authorities reject you, but sometimes it's simply because they don't seem to understand who we are.

My name is Eliana Rubashkyn and I was born in Bogotá, Colombia. I'm a trained pharmacist and speak five languages fluently, and until recently, I was studying for an MBA in Health Administration in Taiwan on a government scholarship. I also used to be a man.

Last year, I was forced to travel to Hong Kong to renew my passport because of my altered gender. Hong Kong -- a one-hour flight away -- is the nearest Colombian consulate from Taiwan. The trip was also necessary to allow me to apply for the second year of my graduate degree.

Full story: http://edition.cnn.com/2014/09/05/world/transgender-asylum-hong-kong/index.html

cnn.com.jpg
-- CNN 2014-09-05

Did this person really expect LESS discrimination in Asia?

Thailand has accepted transgender people to some degree, but transgendered folks are still seen as less desirable freaks by most of Thai society.

Really interesting about the move to New Zealand. Maybe she's traveling around to draw attention to how she is treated.