NCPO unlikely to lift martial law as opposition remains

webfact

(snip)

Maybe the slumbering buffalo is starting to wake up?

I am assured that this is not true and that Thaksin's next stooge will win the next election. In the meantime, his stooges will keep blowing opium smoke up its nose with promises of wealth without effort, justice for supposed crimes without basis in law, an end of corruption if they re-elect those who enrich themselves from it, and some ephemeral, little understood illusion of democracy.

• Like 2

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Martial law stopped the daily terrorist attacked by the red shirts in their tracks.

Some say Martial law impinges on tourist numbers. I say it is the lesser of two evils. Terrorist attacks in the capital city had more of a negative effect on tourism not to mention the loss of innocent life.

My family thank martial law for purging society from the evils of the red shirt terrorists and for the safety of me and mine I hope it stays until the infestation is cleared from the blood soaked shadows.

I'm sure the thousands of Thai families experiencing severe financial hardship due to the crash of the tourism industry will find solace in having your familiy's thanks.

A hell of a lot of the tourism crash started when the PTP tried to push through the amnesty for Thaksin, turmoil followed understandably.

The NCPO controls media content. Only sanitised versions are able to be published.

I have not read much in the way of discontent in recent media against the NCPO. So if they want to maintain martial law, what is not being told?

Are people suffering with this purge?

Slumbering leeches maybe.

As long as Martial Law is in power, foreign investments will avoid Thailand. Investors need rule of law and predictable policies. Martial law is the opposite.

Vietnam and Cambodia will be happy, money originally marked for Thailand now goes there...and doesn't come back.

Tourist will avoid Thailand as some insurances exclude countries with Martial law in power. Will they come back?

The trouble with martial law and its effect on tourism are threefold:

1) It makes travel insurance harder and more expensive, which in turn makes alternative destinations look more attractive than Thailand.

2) Tourists are generally very conservative and like safe destinations. They equate 'martial law' with a war zone. They imagine things are worse than they are, that the country is at war with itself, and they don't wan't to take their families to anywhere where there is the slightest chance of trouble

3) People from the western world don't like dictators. They have had bitter experiences with them in living memory. They would rather visit countries where people have similar political rights as they themselves do, than to be seen supporting a country that is run by an unelected government that took power by military force. Burma is supposed to be beautiful, but was ostracised for this reason

Tourist UK.

1, more often than not he will not bother with insurance on a package deal, or single traveler for 2 weeks.

2, The average tourist from UK is looking for Island hols-or sex- They do not give a sod about political rights, or if the government is elected or not.

3. Holidaymakers travelling here are not aware of dictators present.

Your post is full of hate for the Army control, it it'self will do no good to promote tourism, would hate you to be my travel agent, do you actually think that a single guy looking for nooky will bother about supporting your alleged distasteful government.

Get real, OTT post that alarms tourists.

Martial law stopped the daily terrorist attacked by the red shirts in their tracks.

Some say Martial law impinges on tourist numbers. I say it is the lesser of two evils. Terrorist attacks in the capital city had more of a negative effect on tourism not to mention the loss of innocent life.

My family thank martial law for purging society from the evils of the red shirt terrorists and for the safety of me and mine I hope it stays until the infestation is cleared from the blood soaked shadows.

I'm sure the thousands of Thai families experiencing severe financial hardship due to the crash of the tourism industry will find solace in having your familiy's thanks.

Quite correct and those families have the Junta to thank as well for ensuring they interjected in May and saved the tourist sector from further decline due to those daily terrorist attacks. At least they can now look forward to a bustling tourism industry where tourists can freely travel Bangkok with the knowledge they will not be an innocent victim of a red shirt terrorist attack.

As shown the majority are relieved that peace has swept the land. Unless of course you think the majority preferred the daily terrorists attacks by red shirt terrorists to peace and stability where the economy is growing at a rate not seen for years?

Thanks for your post and may peace and reconciliation be with you my dear friend.

<EDIT> One can be assured from your post that you don't have children in Thailand that walk the streets of Bangkok under a fear of death from terrorism. When you prioritize a person losing money because they lost there job being a cleaner in a hotel over a father that lost 2 of his children to a grenade in the Big C terrorist attack that says more about you than the terrorists.

Edited by djjamie

Yep, Khonkaen was a bloodbath wasn't it Jamie? 95% of the country suffered zero effects of the PDRC campaign, or the PTP attacks upon it.

95% of the country hasn't seen any changes to their daily routine, martial law or not, it's business as usual, the curfew was an inconvenience to some, but many places even in Bangkok thumbed their noses at the curfew, and carried on regardless. As did many other tourist locations.

Jamie, in typical arrogant fashion lumps all the reds in one corner and uses the words "terrorist" and yet choses to live in their midst... what a hypocrite, he's like a pane of glass, and I've seen right through him on many an occasion. This one being no different.

I stopped posting here for a few months as the place just seemed to reek of Elitism, and to be honest, it's no fun when you can't criticise the current rulers.

The new PM is still doing a good thing, but to say the whole country is better and safer is a load of cack!!

Can anyone tell me how the 10 year counter-Insurgency in the South is going? Oh that's right, there's still people dying there every week, but it's not really relevant as it's not the PTP/UDD behind that war is it? It's a case of selective memory for some here, and not important enough as it doesn't involve being able to rip into the Shins, or their ilk..

I'm sure the victims of recent attacks the South, who have actually endured 10 years of being attacked and killed share your sentiments Jamie.... NOT!!!

Look at the new figures for fatalities in the south, just announced the lowest for 10 years.

About the new PM-you are right he is doing well in this initial 4 months. Therefore it is safer(reds under the cosh) and the good feeling returning to the country---but early days.

Forget the PTP they have been and still are being probed for their diabolical governing, and after your absence you will have noticed who is being nabbed, has been nabbed and others fleeing and doing a runner as they do in accidents---Love it.

Yep, Khonkaen was a bloodbath wasn't it Jamie? 95% of the country suffered zero effects of the PDRC campaign, or the PTP attacks upon it.

95% of the country hasn't seen any changes to their daily routine, martial law or not, it's business as usual, the curfew was an inconvenience to some, but many places even in Bangkok thumbed their noses at the curfew, and carried on regardless. As did many other tourist locations.

Jamie, in typical arrogant fashion lumps all the reds in one corner and uses the words "terrorist" and yet choses to live in their midst... what a hypocrite, he's like a pane of glass, and I've seen right through him on many an occasion. This one being no different.

I stopped posting here for a few months as the place just seemed to reek of Elitism, and to be honest, it's no fun when you can't criticise the current rulers.

The new PM is still doing a good thing, but to say the whole country is better and safer is a load of cack!!

Can anyone tell me how the 10 year counter-Insurgency in the South is going? Oh that's right, there's still people dying there every week, but it's not really relevant as it's not the PTP/UDD behind that war is it? It's a case of selective memory for some here, and not important enough as it doesn't involve being able to rip into the Shins, or their ilk..

I'm sure the victims of recent attacks the South, who have actually endured 10 years of being attacked and killed share your sentiments Jamie.... NOT!!!

Look at the new figures for fatalities in the south, just announced the lowest for 10 years.

About the new PM-you are right he is doing well in this initial 4 months. Therefore it is safer(reds under the cosh) and the good feeling returning to the country---but early days.

Forget the PTP they have been and still are being probed for their diabolical governing, and after your absence you will have noticed who is being nabbed, has been nabbed and others fleeing and doing a runner as they do in accidents---Love it.

Hello Ginjag,

Yes that's great the figures are down, but the attacks have not stopped, therefore there is still a terrorist threat in the Southern Region, it's great that fatalities are down, but a terrorist attack, even when there's no fatalities is still a worrying issue.

The good feeling you say that is returning to the country?? So you actually travelled extensively all over Thailand during the months from November 2013-May 2014 taking in the atmoshpherics in every single province, and can put your hand on your heart and say you personally noticed a big change in the good feelings?? I doubt that, considering the entire country was never feeling down anyway, and Bangkok troubles may well have been another planet for most of the country's inhabitants.

I don't really care who is nabbed, red, white, blue or yellow, all those who broke the various laws and partcipated in illegal activities deserve to face the full force of the law, no matter how high you are upon the social ladder of richness and success.

However, dismiss the reds and PTP are your own peril, anyone who thinks Thaksin is just going to slip off into the sunset and forget about Thailand, and those who perpetrated the coup, need to think again, there's no way such a megalomaniac stops all his efforts to get what he wants.

As they say in the news... watch this space

• Like 1

Name one instance in all of human history when a military dictatorship turned out to be a good thing, which includes how such regimes eventually meet their end. Okay, now give me all of your great reasons about how this one is SO unique as to rise above all historical evidence to the contrary. Resistance is inevitable.

• Like 1

Yingluk made this biggest mistake by asking for amnesty for all her gang rather than offering the same for all

Incorrect. The Amnesty was for all,...including the murder and atrocities that the hate-driven Mr Suthep (now the enlightened monk) has been accused of.

PM Yingluck's mistake was in offering a amnesty for ALL,...it should have been for ALL except her Bangkok Elite Court convicted brother, for whom there was no facts of any wrongdoing. In that case,...after ALL, except the wrongly convicted Mr Thaksin, IMO the likelihood of his winning an appeal from the Elitist Court due to public sentiment would have been greater.

IMO, the most corrupt aspect of Thailand politics and everyday life lies with the Bangkok Elitist Courts. If the NCPO was truly not an extension of the PDRC, the first people thrown out of office and replaced would have been the Elitist Judges.

• Like 1

Hello Ginjag,

Yes that's great the figures are down, but the attacks have not stopped, therefore there is still a terrorist threat in the Southern Region, it's great that fatalities are down, but a terrorist attack, even when there's no fatalities is still a worrying issue.

The good feeling you say that is returning to the country?? So you actually travelled extensively all over Thailand during the months from November 2013-May 2014 taking in the atmoshpherics in every single province, and can put your hand on your heart and say you personally noticed a big change in the good feelings?? I doubt that, considering the entire country was never feeling down anyway, and Bangkok troubles may well have been another planet for most of the country's inhabitants.

I don't really care who is nabbed, red, white, blue or yellow, all those who broke the various laws and partcipated in illegal activities deserve to face the full force of the law, no matter how high you are upon the social ladder of richness and success.

However, dismiss the reds and PTP are your own peril, anyone who thinks Thaksin is just going to slip off into the sunset and forget about Thailand, and those who perpetrated the coup, need to think again, there's no way such a megalomaniac stops all his efforts to get what he wants.

Suppose anything could happen when you have this smarmy rabbit pokes the zoo animals through the wire. He could use the reds to do anything to disrupt, similar to southern unrest, terrorist tactics, his bank interest will easily pay for this. Japan ??? he tried the red villages and the red army here to intimidate the population so he cannot be ruled out.

The southern unrest figures are there but you seem to suggest after all this time it can be eradicated quickly.

Hey come on to suggest that I could have travelled the country length and breadth in a short time, crazy. But I do cover Nth and south regular. and see no problems in the local areas visited, if you don't feel it, it must be near to normal--contrary to the minority on hear who are shouting about freedom of speech - human rights etc.

• Like 1

Yingluk made this biggest mistake by asking for amnesty for all her gang rather than offering the same for all

Incorrect. The Amnesty was for all,...including the murder and atrocities that the hate-driven Mr Suthep (now the enlightened monk) has been accused of.

PM Yingluck's mistake was in offering a amnesty for ALL,...it should have been for ALL except her Bangkok Elite Court convicted brother, for whom there was no facts of any wrongdoing. In that case,...after ALL, except the wrongly convicted Mr Thaksin, IMO the likelihood of his winning an appeal from the Elitist Court due to public sentiment would have been greater.

IMO, the most corrupt aspect of Thailand politics and everyday life lies with the Bangkok Elitist Courts. If the NCPO was truly not an extension of the PDRC, the first people thrown out of office and replaced would have been the Elitist Judges.

So Thaksin never did wrong--along with his family ?? 15 and more cases to answer to on his return. (this is why he is not here.) So again Thaksin never did wrong, never funded the red army, never run a government while on the run, it never ends- must remember not to get tied up with you on the super hero Thaksin, Answer this quick--what was his birthday date ?? you sound like you belong to his fan club.

If he was innocent why didn't he come back to face the charges.

• Like 1

Hello Ginjag,

Suppose anything could happen when you have this smarmy rabbit pokes the zoo animals through the wire. He could use the reds to do anything to disrupt, similar to southern unrest, terrorist tactics, his bank interest will easily pay for this. Japan ??? he tried the red villages and the red army here to intimidate the population so he cannot be ruled out.

The southern unrest figures are there but you seem to suggest after all this time it can be eradicated quickly.

Hey come on to suggest that I could have travelled the country length and breadth in a short time, crazy. But I do cover Nth and south regular. and see no problems in the local areas visited, if you don't feel it, it must be near to normal--contrary to the minority on hear who are shouting about freedom of speech - human rights etc.

Yo're always going to have someone who's going to be tempted to poke the stick of the bear,

This Japan thing is really a red herring, I highly doubt that even Thaksin would have sent anyone on his payroll to Japan, these are more than likely Thai Nationals who reside there, there's no logic behind it.

I dislike the way in which the word terrorist is bandied about here, all too many times over the past 10 years in a hostile environment I've heard the word being used loosely.

A 10 year old kid paid $50/500 baht to throw a handgrenade at soldiers or civilians isn't a terrorist, he's a pawn, nobody knows his mental state either, and people will do almost anything if the coin is right.. I saw with my own eyes outside Fallujah, an elderly gentleman, well into his 80's carry an IED in front of Coalition troops and contractors and place it in the middle of the road.. when he was detained after everyone was gobsmacked as to him doing it openly, it was discovered he was almost deaf and mentally ill, and was paid $100 to put it there, was he a terrorist or was he just a poor dumb guy seeing easy money?

Sure, it was an act that would be construed as terrorism, but he was no terrorist. If he was doing it for political means, and was doing it daily and his posture was of an aggressive nature, then yep by all means call him a terrorist, as his aim is to kill and maim as many people as he can.

Someone who is paid to throw a handgrenade into a crowd is in my opinion, based on the above experiences and all my times in Northern Ireland, and Iraq, is more of a scapegoat than a terrorist, the ones who pay him to do so, are the terrorists. It's the Intent as well, if someone states yes, I wanted to kill and injury many people, there's enough intent there to label him a terrorist, but on the other hand, if he says "I was paid 500 baht to throw it into an area where there might be people, I didn't intend to kill anyone" then it's again the one who paid the piper so to speak that needs to face "terrorism charges" it's called Terror by proxy.

Many devices in Northern Ireland were delivered to bases by people whose families had been taken hostages, these were known as proxy bombs, were the carriers "terrorists" or not?

You should always remember that one mans "terrorist" is another mans "freedom fighter"

I'm glad you picked up on what I have also been intimating, is the atmospherics, if something doesn't feel tight, it generally isn't, and I too was all over the North and South during the months between November 2013 and May 2014, and even Bangkok, weeks before the coup, with my son, and nothing really felt out of place, obviously we were smart enough to avoid the areas of protesting, it was like it was the year before, it felt pretty normal, if there ever is such a thing in Thailand.

People react to how they feel, and everyones interpretations are different, many places all over Thailand were not effected by the protests in the run up to the coup, I never felt once that I shouln't be here or have the old "spidey senses tingle" maybe that was just me Ginjag, but I suspect I'm not the only Farang or Thai who felt similarly.

We Farangs should consider ourselves lucky in Thailand, it's not a smart move gobbing off about affairs that generally don't have anything to do with us, but we feel the need to on occasion,

So Thaksin never did wrong--along with his family ?? 15 and more cases to answer to on his return. (this is why he is not here.) So again Thaksin never did wrong, never funded the red army, never run a government while on the run, it never ends- must remember not to get tied up with you on the super hero Thaksin, Answer this quick--what was his birthday date ?? you sound like you belong to his fan club.

Knowing the nature of the Thai Judicial system, I doubt he felt he would have gotten a fair trial, for sure he did wrong, and everyone knows it, including him, but would he have ever recieved a fair trial in the first place? But I do think you also seem to know a lot about him too, what did the birthday cake taste like?

Sorry I should have spoken to the experts on this before posting

You must be a close friend of the Shinuwat family

• Like 1

In all honest I cannot understand Thai people

Not judging Thais but just speaking the truth

Thai politics I don't even want to begin trying to hack into what the hell is going on

It's like a spiders web inside a web inside a web

Or a

Maze inside a maze inside a maze

All we know is what the media tell us

What it is really about i seriously doubt that anyone in here really knows apart from either Thais and the people involved

Knowing the nature of the Thai Judicial system, I doubt he felt he would have gotten a fair trial, for sure he did wrong, and everyone knows it, including him, but would he have ever recieved a fair trial in the first place? But I do think you also seem to know a lot about him too, what did the birthday cake taste like?

Heard this a million times "he would never have got a fair trial" you forgot to say politically motivated.

defending the newbie for what ?? look at his post--elitist - rubbish. no need for the return birthday remark, it wasn't your post . Who doesn't know about the ########3 he has caused so many mega problems for Thailand and his red army is still (funding it'self) abroad.

everyone deserves a fair trial, he will never know and therefore he will use it endlessly-the same as Yingluck may well do--it's a Shin excuse.

Heard this a million times "he would never have got a fair trial" you forgot to say politically motivated.

defending the newbie for what ?? look at his post--elitist - rubbish. no need for the return birthday remark, it wasn't your post . Who doesn't know about the ########3 he has caused so many mega problems for Thailand and his red army is still (funding it'self) abroad.

everyone deserves a fair trial, he will never know and therefore he will use it endlessly-the same as Yingluck may well do--it's a Shin excuse.

Suppose Thaksins lawyer never put 3 million baht in a biscuit tin then to give to the high court judge ?

If so he got nicked for it

Thaksins biggest mistake is that even now he is still driven by power

Even overseas he still using people to politically influence the country

Personally I reckon it was just selfish putting his sister in charge it was just a ticking time bomb for political mess

Now she is going to be in as much trouble as him and I reckon secretly she already knew this bit could not say no to her brother so what does that tell you

• Like 1

Isn't everything in Thailand politically motivated? including the majority of your posts?

honest to Christ Ginjag, you need to start reading your own posts at times and proof read them, you're so quick to jump down other posters remarks, and if you fail to see the humour in the how did the cake taste like, and with so much bitterness in your posts, I strongly suggest you neck a bottle of Jack Daniels and go and get laid !!

Your anti Shin posts are "entertaining" it's like they personally came into your home and drank the Jack Daniels, ate all your food, and crapped in your shitter and never flushed it away.. you've been through what? 4 coups now in 30 years of staying there, and have never answered a question asked by me as to what Government in the 30 years was the best one , that you benchmarked all others on? . You kept saying I was baiting you, on the contrary anyone who has the time in country as yourself would have been able to say with ease which one was the more honest one, the one that served the interests of the country.. but to date, you have not offered such opinions, but you sure don't half love giving your opinions about the Yingluck one!!!

Every single one in the 30 years has had issues and corruption right in the midst of them, how naive of you afer all your time in Thailand to think the Yingluck one would be any different..

Personally I'd love to see all the wrong doers see the insides of a court room, but I'd rather let the lawyers and judges make them guilty, as opposed to the hundreds of Thai Lawyers who post here on TVF.. they have you guilty and hung, even before the evidence is in and looked at..

It must be awesome in your world, can I come and visit some time, as it sounds very much like it's a utopia.

You of all people should know that money talks in Thailand, and the Rich and Elite of all sides and walks of life seldom see the insides of a prison cell, stop getting so butt hurt all the time, Thaksin Shiniwatra is not a threat to you, unless you ate two slices of his cake, and then he'd be pissed off at your greed, and then you could say, well "You had your cake and ate it, now I'm eating yours?!! "

You get wound up too easily about the Shins, I bet you wake up in the morning and are straight on the laptop and TVF, reading to see who has dared to question or criticise you too.. There's a lot more to life than bitching about the Shins all the time. And the old cliche remains, nobody forced you to stay in a country under a Government you clearly despised, but then again, what would you do all day if you didn't have that hatred eating away at your very soul?

Life is full of people like the Shiniwatras, unless his dog is shitting in your garden, and his kids are breaking your windows with a football daily, why such a hardon for a guy who only cares about one thing? Power? Rest assured, he ain't losing any sleep over anyone here in TVF..

• Like 1

Seems to me Thaksin got a fair trial and was convicted and sentenced. It was his party in power so that lets out the politically motivated excuse.

The truth is he ran because after his failed attempt to bribe the judges it was perfectly clear to him that he would get a fair trial and as we could see with his failed bribe that was the last thing he wanted.wai.gif

• Like 1

Nobody as powerful as the Thaksin, or Suthep's, or the Abhisits or any other high flying or high ranking officer of this world who gets convicted,wants to see the inside of a Jail Northern John, as they know full well, they'd never leave the place, their cards would be marked, so they would do anything and everything to stay out of it..

Did anyone actually think or believe at that time that Thaksin would see the inside of a cell? The Naive maybe, the people with money and power in Thailand 99% of the time do not get to wear prison clothes and dine on the fine foods served there.

Megalomaniacs like him don't just "give up" on their quest and quench and lust for power either..

The NCPO controls media content. Only sanitised versions are able to be published.

I have not read much in the way of discontent in recent media against the NCPO. So if they want to maintain martial law, what is not being told?

Are people suffering with this purge?

That buffalo you thought you saw waking up is dead already. What movement you saw was the from rigor mortis setting in.

I've read many of the available transcripts, and have yet to see any facts showing any corruption by Mr Thaksin. I've also heard hundreds of hate statements by Mr Suthep directed at the Shinawatra's, and yet to see any facts supporting his Gobbelesque rhetoric.

Thus your statement is incorrect that "everyone knows it"....I don't know it,...his lawyers don't seem to know it,...the facts don't seem to know it. Thaksin's only crime appears to be his being a populist politician who treats all Thai equally, to the chagrin of the Bangkok Elite who see Northern Thai as their buffalo.

On the other hand, I've seen many facts that Mr Suthep ordered the May 2010 attack against Red Shirts, resulting in 92 deaths, and numerous injuries,...and the Bangkok Elite judges have yet to do anything about it.

• Like 2