NIDA Poll says majority are not affected by martial law

webfact

NIDA Poll says majority are not affected by martial law

8-26-2014-8-57-11-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- More than 87% of people surveyed by the National Institute Development Administration (NIDA) said the existing martial law in force across the country did not have any impact on their daily lives.

NIDA Poll came after the National Council of Peace and Order (NCPO) did not consider proposal to lift martial law by the Tourism Council of Thailand to promote tourism.

The Third Army which has jurisdiction covering 17 northern provinces has recommended cautious consideration as clandestine resistance movement still prevails in the northern areas.

The survey, or NIDA Poll, conducted among 1,250 people nationwide from September showed that 87.68 per cent of respondents said they were unaffected by martial law and that they also felt safer than before the coup because soldiers are placed everywhere.

But 11.8 per cent said they were affected because they had to travel at night as well as did not have the full right to political expression, while the economy continues to deteriorate.

However NIDA Pol also revealed an almost equivalent number of supporters and opponents to the lifting of martial law.

A total of 43.3 per cent of respondents agreed that martial law, imposed by the military following the May 22 power seizure, should be lifted to create a better image for Thailand and restore investor confidence as the general situation in the country has improved.

But 40.6 per cent believe military order must be continued for the time being until it is certain there is no rift or division in the country.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/nida-poll-says-majority-affected-martial-law/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-09-08

43 per cent of public want martial law lifted: Poll
By Digital Content

14101434483858.jpg

BANGKOK, Sept 8 -- A total of 43.3 per cent of respondents surveyed by the NIDA Poll feel that martial law, imposed by the military following the May 22 seizure of power should be lifted to create a better image for Thailand and restore investor confidence as the general situation in the country has improved, but an almost equal number -- 40.6 per cent believe military order must be continued for the time being.

Conducted among 1,250 people nationwide on Wednesday through Friday last week, the survey showed showed about a 2.5 per cent difference between those wanting an end to martial, and those wanting its continuation until it is certain there is no social divisiveness in the country.

Uncertainty was expressed by another 11.4 per cent of respondents, saying that if martial law is to be lifted, it should be done only in certain provinces or areas.

The survey, conducted by the National Institute of Development Administration, also showed that as many as 87.7 per cent of respondents said they were unaffected by martial law and that they also felt safer than before the coup because soldiers are placed everywhere.

But 11.8 per cent said they were affected because they had to travel at night as well as did not have the full right to political expression, while the economy continues to deteriorate. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-09-08

"The survey, conducted by the National Institute of Development Administration, also showed that as many as 87.7 per cent of respondents said they were unaffected by martial law and that they also felt safer than before the coup because soldiers are placed everywhere. "

who ran this poll?

Most employees do not know of or understand the bigger picture. Martial law invalidates travel insurance for many tourists, hence they do not travel to Thailand. Fewer tourists means less revenue for the tourism industry, which means less service charge to staff or even layoffs. So yes, pretty much all Thais involved in the tourism industry are affected by martial law, many are just not aware why their salary (service charge) is less than last year, or why they were recently laid off.

• Like 1

Of course. Only crooked minds are affected by martial law in Thailand. It has no negative effect on normal people.

Except of course everyone in the tourism industry, most of whom are not crooks, but normal employees at hotels, restaurants etc, and whos job security and salary is directly linked to the amount of tourist arrivals.

• Like 1

"The survey, conducted by the National Institute of Development Administration, also showed that as many as 87.7 per cent of respondents said they were unaffected by martial law and that they also felt safer than before the coup because soldiers are placed everywhere. "

who ran this poll?

"conducted by the National Institute of Development Administration"

You quoted it, but didn't read it.

Of course. Only crooked minds are affected by martial law in Thailand. It has no negative effect on normal people.

Except of course everyone in the tourism industry, most of whom are not crooks, but normal employees at hotels, restaurants etc, and whos job security and salary is directly linked to the amount of tourist arrivals.

You think they prefer this?

BnuonEoCUAAbISD_zps91b4241c.png

who ran this poll?

Actually we BOTH quoted it but only you didn't understand the significance of my comment.

who ran this poll?

Actually we BOTH quoted it but only you didn't understand the significance of my comment.

I still don't.

Meanwhile foreign investors avoid Thailand under martial law, Vietnam is happy.

Basically NCPO justifies ML because some people do things, which would normally be perfectly legal in a real democracy with basic human rights, but are outlawed under ML. Great logic!

But then again Thai people during all their lives have been trimmed to avoid having an opinion. You know the joke: a Thai, an American and a Sudanese have been for their opinion about "Meat or vegetables". The American said, what is a vegetable, the Sudanese asked what is meat and the Thai asked what is an opinion.

Basically NCPO justifies ML because some people do things, which would normally be perfectly legal in a real democracy with basic human rights, but are outlawed under ML. Great logic!

But then again Thai people during all their lives have been trimmed to avoid having an opinion. You know the joke: a Thai, an American and a Sudanese have been for their opinion about "Meat or vegetables". The American said, what is a vegetable, the Sudanese asked what is meat and the Thai asked what is an opinion.

show me that foreign investment is decreasing because of ML.

Yes the keywords are Real Democracy. Something Thailand never had with their winner takes all and does what it wants, system. I have never been as positive as today for Thailand's Democracy.

"But 11.8 per cent said they were affected because they had to travel at night as well as did not have the full right to political expression, while the economy continues to deteriorate."

English of ThaiPBS is a bit difficult to grasp at times. At first I thought that it was suggested there was a relation between traveling at night and political expression.

BTW in case someone is interested (and even if none is ) I must admit that apart from the initial cleanup with no protesters and no night attacks, life seems to go on as usual. Even the Thai around me seem more concerned about normal life, work, money than not being able to express one's opinion. No elite amongst them I'm afraid, just from low till middle class range. Also only valid in Bangkok. Let others voice their opinion about the provinces.

Quite correct. I for one was not affected. My family was not affected. What we were affected by was the daily terrorist attacks in Bangkok when I visited for business meetings.

My kids feared walking around Central Plaza in Khon Kaen especially after the UDD terrorist cell was organizing a terrorist attack at Central Plaza. Thankfully the military set up check pints and ensured that vehicles were checked on the way into Central Plaza.

So as it states here the majority are not affected by martial law…Where is the proof they are affected? We will not see it, but the belief that suits the agenda states otherwise!!

who ran this poll?

Nor do I! The survey said "soldiers are placed everywhere." Well not in this part of Isaan and I live in a city.

Yes the keywords are Real Democracy. Something Thailand never had with their winner takes all and does what it wants, system. I have never been as positive as today for Thailand's Democracy.

Thailand's Democracy? Did Thailand elect the present parliament (NLA)? Or did they have a vote on the Constitution? Or did they choose the National Reform Committee? Are they allowed to have political gatherings and discuss politics?

Clearly you must be sarcastic...or blind.

Thailand's Democracy? Did Thailand elect the present parliament (NLA)? Or did they have a vote on the Constitution? Or did they choose the National Reform Committee? Are they allowed to have political gatherings and discuss politics?

been living here for a few decades. Have seen it all. There never was real democracy. Educate yourself. Edited by Nickymaster
  • Like 1

Hahahajaja.

They actually asked people if they were effected.by something that they are prevented legally from criticising.

North Korea isn't this stupid or clever at the same time

In Thailand constructive criticism is allowed-no problem, organized cells, slagging for the sake of it and comments like this do not help any country.

Didn't the PTP elected government flout the law ??? think about that one. This is why we haven't got the norm you desire.

Travelled to Bangkok many times before the coup, never had any issues, I was smart enough to avoid the protests as recommended by the FCO and other organisations, Kho San road nobody seemed overly "jittery" there either..

Travelled to Bangkok many times after the coup, never had any issues, in all the places I was visiting, pre and post coup, the atmospherics were the same as it was pre-coup. Having worked in Hostile Envoronments for the past decade, never felt that Bangkok, or any other City such as Pattaya, Saraburi, Korat, Chaksensao(sp), Chumpon, felt volatile, it certainly wasn't a ghost city, tourists still seemed to be everywhere, nobody seemed to be on edge, maybe because they were not effected nor influenced by the violence in some places in Bangkok, and that if it wasn't on their doorstep, then they didn't seem to have any concern..

I guess some peoples interpretation of "fear" and "scared" are different from mine, maybe my profession has a lot to do with it, although I do suspect there's still some people here who have made it sound a lot more dramatic for them, if they thought Bangkok was bad, they should try doing business in Baghdad, Tripoli, Damascus and other cities in Iraq and the Middle East.

Was there loss of life? yes, unfortunately there was, and I hope that the perpetrators are given the same treatment as their victims, forget prison, a double tap to the base of the skull would be more appropriate. However, for the fatalities that happened, it didn't deter the 10's of thousand who were protesting in these flashpoint areas, and many of them didn't really seem to be concerned about attacks, otherwise the smart thing to do would be to not go there. If there was an attack planned on a location and it's getting attacked, the smart person avoids that area and minimises the risks he/she's taking.

Hahahajaja.

They actually asked people if they were effected.by something that they are prevented legally from criticising.

In Thailand constructive criticism is allowed-no problem, organized cells, slagging for the sake of it and comments like this do not help any country.

Really? constructive criticism is allowed? I think you might find that a few individuals who tried that were taken to be "educated".

Slagging for the sake of it? so in others words, you have no free will to express that something is shyt? You have to accept it??

Get real all you've done for the past year is slag organisations and people, it's comments like yours that don't help and the fact that people here on TVF are still constrained by what they can and cannot say should really tell you everything. It's a one sided slagging match.

The Junta and the new PM are doing some good things, but they've also done some not so good things, but they can't be criticised for it here on TVF due to the ML rules.. so it's not allowed, and well you know it!!

• Like 1

Hahahajaja.

Really? constructive criticism is allowed? I think you might find that a few individuals who tried that were taken to be "educated".

Slagging for the sake of it? so in others words, you have no free will to express that something is shyt? You have to accept it??

Get real all you've done for the past year is slag organisations and people, it's comments like yours that don't help and the fact that people here on TVF are still constrained by what they can and cannot say should really tell you everything. It's a one sided slagging match.

The Junta and the new PM are doing some good things, but they've also done some not so good things, but they can't be criticised for it here on TVF due to the ML rules.. so it's not allowed, and well you know it!!

Rubbish.

Today I criticized the PM/army rule about the extraordinary spending on the cabinet equipment. Action NONE because it was constructive criticism. so well I know it ??? also I disagree with the report about the nude fun night, and more. I am not taken away or banned here because it was a normal right----you are way over the top with your assessment. you do not see the difference, you are trying this propaganda thing about ANY thing said. you are wrong.

Has anyone been banned by the mods for disagreeing with the some moves of the PM..NO

The idea is a total flagrant rejection of the PM and words that affect his running of the job in these early stages---see reds in Japan etc. certain areas noted in Issan etc.

Your last paragraph is not altogether true--(it is how it is spoken and what sort of rhetoric)

been living here for a few decades. Have seen it all. There never was real democracy. Educate yourself.

And obviously you have had a bit too much of the patronising juice too.

I consider myself as educated, particularly in constitutional law and still believe that the absence of true democracy so far is no reason why we should not aspire to it now.

Or do you prefer to go back to absolute monarchy and military dictatorships, just because so far we have not reached our dreams of a true democracy (and happiness?)

Hahahajaja.

Shame u couldn't get together with 4 of your buddies to discuss whether you like martial law or not.

Hahahajaja.

Shame u couldn't get together with 4 of your buddies to discuss whether you like martial law or not.

What on earth are you on about ???

Who wants Marshall law ?? here it is affecting some insurance --no one else is flustered too much about it. only your handful.

Wouldn't it be nice for you to answer my reply, instead of another strike at something that hurts you,---but is not affecting you.

Nobody else is getting flustered about pretty much the same as nobody else outside of Bangkok was getting flustered about the violence during the protests..

Martial Law affects quite a lot of tourist holiday insurances, so it's not really something to dismiss out of hand.