Non-Immigrant O Visa 90 day Stamp

Hi, I know this has been covered several times before but I have had several conflicting views on how I achieve this. I have a 12 month multi visit Non-Immigrant O visa which means I have to leave the country before 90 days and then come back into the country and get a further 90 day stamp. I am going to cross the border at Laos and I want to know if I have to stay overnight or if I can cross into Laos in the morning and come back to Thailand in the afternoon and get the correct stamp. I know I will find out when I get there but I would prefer to know beforehand to facilitate correct planning. Thanks for your help.

While your visa is valid (the "Use Before..." date) you make a simple border run to get a fresh 90 day entry. Out and back in.

After the visa has expired and your current entry is likewise almost expired, you need to go to another country's Thai consulate and get a fresh visa. That's a visa run. In Laos, that's an overnight trip.

I am on a Non Imm. Multi-Entry 'O' visa same as the OP. My first 'border run' was at Nong Khai... it was a snap ... a little confusing on the Lao side - multiple windows and could barely see in ... passport and money into one window and it was processed and mysteriously appeared 15-20 minutes later via another window with a huge full page stamp/sticker for their visa. You can pay in Thai Baht or USD... USD is suppose to be a better deal ...

All in all the only problem was poorly labeled signs on the Lao Side ... but got through it. Total of an hour or less counting from start to finish back on the Thai side... with the long bridge to cross over the Mekong.

People always caution you to make sure you get the full 90 day stamp when re-entering the Thai side - as sometimes they make a mistake and stamp 30 days which would have to be corrected. I just say 90 days in English and Thai to the IO at the windows - done with a Sawatdee Khrup and a smile.

AND OP ... There is a Fee for the Lao visa - it was either 1500 Baht or could have been 1900 but don't think so ...

Edited by JDGRUEN

While your visa is valid (the "Use Before..." date) you make a simple border run to get a fresh 90 day entry. Out and back in.

After the visa has expired and your current entry is likewise almost expired, you need to go to another country's Thai consulate and get a fresh visa. That's a visa run. In Laos, that's an overnight trip.

now of course Savannahket [spelling] is doing same day visa but Vientenne [spelling] would still require an overnight trip.

...as sometimes they make a mistake and stamp 30 days which would have to be corrected.

If YOU properly fill in the arrival card, TM.6, indicating the visa you are using to enter the country, THEY will be unlikely to make a mistake. If you don't fill out the arrival card properly, it's not up to the immigrations officer to search every page in your passport. He/she will probably give you a visa exempt entry if your visa is not indicated.

The "mistake" will, in most cases, not be the immigration officer's.

Edited by Suradit69

...as sometimes they make a mistake and stamp 30 days which would have to be corrected.

If YOU properly fill in the arrival card, TM.6, indicating the visa you are using to enter the country, THEY will be unlikely to make a mistake. If you don't fill out the arrival card properly, it's not up to the immigrations officer to search every page in your passport. He/she will probably give you a visa exempt entry if your visa is not indicated.

I really do not mind your 'clarification' but I do find the tone of your reply post to be a bit unnecessary. While it did not happen to me because I filled out the form correctly and I called out 90 days in both English and Thai to get the IO's attention to the matter... from reading numerous posts of TVF I have found the caution referenced many times. I just have a problem with perfectionist who naively believe that a form filled out correctly will be properly processed by a Thai IO who is working in a mind numbing - repetitive job... and his rote reactions in processing many types of visas just might cause him to go into automatic mode and stamp the incorrect date period... Do you line your shoes up in your closet by color, type and whether they have laces or not? .. I could pick you out in a crowd of nerdy fellows with high pants pockets and shirt pocket protectors. And just so you will feel better it is 'immigration' - not 'immigrations'. Feel better now?

Caps key sticking?

Suradit69 has been nothing but "spot on" as they say in Merry ole England and has given me nothing but valuable and wise advice. It should be noted that he is very knowlegeable and I am flabbergasted that a poster took such an offence to one of his responses. Maybe he was trying to drive home a point. One should not be so sensitive and maybe you might learn something from such a knowledgeable person who is willing to convey his vast knowledge to the complexities and nuances of thai immigration policies and procedures. I, for one, am truly appreciative of all the help Suradit69 has given me and it is comforting knowing there is someone like him you can ask for advice and help.

Hi, I know this has been covered several times before but I have had several conflicting views on how I achieve this. I have a 12 month multi visit Non-Immigrant O visa which means I have to leave the country before 90 days and then come back into the country and get a further 90 day stamp.

Note that if you are married or have a Thai child you can extend your stay for 60 more days at immigration, fee Bt 1,900. That makes so you can stay almost 5 months each entry or a total of 17 months before getting a new visa.

Hi, I know this has been covered several times before but I have had several conflicting views on how I achieve this. I have a 12 month multi visit Non-Immigrant O visa which means I have to leave the country before 90 days and then come back into the country and get a further 90 day stamp.

Note that if you are married or have a Thai child you can extend your stay for 60 more days at immigration, fee Bt 1,900. That makes so you can stay almost 5 months each entry or a total of 17 months before getting a new visa.

i find, as i'm reasonably close to a border, to cross every 90 days is the easiest and cheapest option. last time it cost me less than 1,000 baht [laos visa] as opposed to 1,900 baht for an extension [due to marriage] at immigration.

if you make your final border crossing just before the 'enter before date' you get nearly 15 months from the visa after which you can then still extend your stay [due to marriage] for another 60 days if you want. i prefer to then obtain a new non-o visa rather than the extension.

just as an aside the duty free nearly covers the cost of the laos visa.

edit: sorry but my internet keeps page resetting

Edited by utr