Traffic violations drop by 67%

Lite Beer

My next door neighbour recently bought a new BMW and has already been fined twice for driving with fog lights on, which he is doing to draw attention to himself - "look at me everybody". He wasn't happy when I told him that on UK roads his status symbol is just another 'rep mobile'.

I would bet you that he doesn't care how you do things in the UK.

It would be a good opportunity to fine christmas tree like illuminations and force owners to remove those. Another dangerous habit is to use those super dark films on the windows. I think there is a clear regulations how dark those may, but it's not enforced. You see those car driving very slowly on the right lanes at night, almost blind.

• Like 1

The headlight thing is a serious problem everywhere. How can people not get that blinding other drivers is just wrong.

Glad to see enforcement on many issues on the roads that are killing people and making driving an extreme headache.

Enforcing parking regulations. Thank you. Come on up to Chiang Rai. Where driving and parking seem totally freestyle.

I have noticed 67% less driving infractions here but thats because I am just used to it.

• Like 1

Traffic Police should be more concerned about scooters and vehicles with NO LIGHTS which are to be see almost every night on the highways. Grossly overloaded vehicles both in height and weight would appear to be more hazardous on Thailand's roads than modified fog lamps. The above policing plus the introduction of breathalyzer units should result in a reduction of road deaths and injuries not just traffic violations.

I couldn't disagree more, bright lights tend to blind other drivers, especially in the rain with all the reflection. A rice diet increases the number of people with diabetes and diabetes cause the eyes to become increasingly sensitive (diabetic retinopathy). No lights is equally bad.

Another pain in the drivers seat is the hi-so with their emergency light bar flashing. Arrogant idiots who have no respect for the rest of the public.

My next door neighbour recently bought a new BMW and has already been fined twice for driving with fog lights on, which he is doing to draw attention to himself - "look at me everybody". He wasn't happy when I told him that on UK roads his status symbol is just another 'rep mobile'.

Spot on. I recently told the Thai wife of a friend of mine that my daughter in the UK had bought a new mini-cooper. She said "Gosh, is she that rich, they cost 4 million in Thailand"

As she is a friend I bit my tongue and refrained from any remarks about the ridiculous protectionist import tariffs this country implement.

why did you bite your tongue - just say they cost new 2 million in the UK.

The police "cracked down" for exactly FOUR DAYS where I live after they announced they were going to get tough on traffic. They have not been out since in the areas they were in before.

Of course the usual helmet chasers are always in the same location during the same hours, but the crack down they started only lasted for days. Even the signs alerting everyone to the new fines are gone.

The police "cracked down" for exactly FOUR DAYS where I live after they announced they were going to get tough on traffic. They have not been out since in the areas they were in before.

Of course the usual helmet chasers are always in the same location during the same hours, but the crack down they started only lasted for days. Even the signs alerting everyone to the new fines are gone.

Well it's been a bit hit and miss. I honestly think that the traffic police are seriously undermanned, under-trained and under motivated to get the job done. The mess at Mo Chit BTS and JJ's seemed to be under control yesterday with the help of the military. Beyond the intersection at Central Lad Phrao and up to Major it's the usual insanity. Farther north it's hit and miss as to whether the police are manning the U-turns and merge lanes or not on Pahonyohtin.

Tell him that he just showing off his debts...?

• Like 1

The headlight thing is a serious problem everywhere. How can people not get that blinding other drivers is just wrong.

Glad to see enforcement on many issues on the roads that are killing people and making driving an extreme headache.

Enforcing parking regulations. Thank you. Come on up to Chiang Rai. Where driving and parking seem totally freestyle.

I have noticed 67% less driving infractions here but thats because I am just used to it.

Actually, the more serious issue on lights is not the fog or headlamps, but non functioning brake lights.

The cop in the photo is wearing a poorly designed dayglow vest. Having such a thick band covering his utility belt reduces his ability to draw his revolver or retrieve his handcuffs.

I think he would be more concerned about how quick he could draw his wallet, to stash the tea-money. whistling.gif

I'm currently living in Trang and the general standard of driving down here is atrocious. I see a near miss every time I venture out on the roads. It seems to me that many Thai drivers take their road skills from a riding a scooter direct to driving a SUV. No one learns to drive properly (many without licences) and they have zero road etiquette or courtesy towards others (many don't even bother to indicate). Very few would pass a driving test in a civilized/developed country. This very morning one of my wife's uncles got mown down and killed whilst out collecting rubber in the early hours, the usual story of reckless driving by a moron. I honestly don't think Thailand as a country wants to take any of this seriously. Life is cheap and if someone dies, well so what ?

There's no tea money in locking wheels.

That is completely untrue! I myself have had the clamp removed in broad daylight amongst many possible witnesses without paying the fine at the station!

So should we applaud you for parking illegally or paying a bribe to the police?

Edited by Local Drunk