Sunday 04 Oct Ride

dave_boo

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm game, where you guys meeting in Bangkok?

I'm coming from Pattaya.

Thanks. We will be meeting at the intersection of 31's feeder road (Kamphaeng Phet 6) and 304 (Chaeng Watthana). Are you going to be trying to make the 08:00 departure time from Pattaya?

Also, are you going to be solo or 2 up? What fuel range are you looking at?

Looks like fun. I doubt my clutch will be ready though. See if I can borrow a ride...

Would be good to have you.

I'll be solo, my bike will do 260km if im not pushing too hard. Yeah, i can make an early start, just need to leave around 5am, love going out in the early morning anyway.

Thanks. I don't think we'll be zipping along too fast...much more than ~125 km/hr and I get punched in my kidneys.

I would like to join too. With the speed you mention i can keep up with the big boys. The meeting point you mention that seems to be the IT Laksi mall?

Thanks for the heads up. And yes, that is the meeting point. Will look forward to the ride.

Good route selection. Point 16 is where my clutch died - be sure to wai.gif your bikes as you go by for a good omen, or not...

October 5 is just around the corner, and the torx keys have only touched my bike's clutch assembly as I type... unlikely, but I'll try. See if I can borrow my mates spare KTM 1290?? would be nice.

I rode the 3282 in error returning from somewhere last year in the rain. My fuel light came on when still near the pond and it was dark under the storm clouds, the rain was so heavy that the run-off from the fields on the east side of the road was 40cm deep. If I had slowed down much more I don't think I would have had enough weight on the front wheel to hold against the force of water. They were pretty shocked when I pulled into the fuel station at the Ban Suan resort!! I was a tad wet.

Some of my favourite parts of Thailand up there... Enjoy!

• Like 2

Looks like a great route. I would have loved to join but I'm concerned I'm not experienced enough for such a long day in the saddle, have only done about 700 Km on the bike so far. Will try to join next time.

Sorry to hear that. I had planned it out so that there's plenty of breaks and there won't be any warp speed riding.

• Like 1

If the big boy bikers want to come along...they're welcome. But I'd like to reiterate that this is in no way a race or a dick waving contest. Leave that out and enjoy the ride and the companionship!

I'd like to join but don't fancy being accused of waving my dick around if I happen go faster than 125 kph. sad.png

Have a good one!

Of course some riders are asses, regardless of the engine size of the bike but I guess the previous bad experience left a bad taste, which is understandable but from your post I do detect a dislike for big bike riders which other posters here also seem to have.

Ok the group I ride with, can travel quite rapidly but there is no racing and thankfully, the only dick waving is done in private.

One can ride at higher speeds AND enjoy the ride and companionship. Though I would add, I find slower speeds on the highway to be more dangerous as one needs to be more constantly aware of vehicles coming up from the rear so now I tend to believe a ride is more enjoyable if the group is of similar ability and on similarly sized machines. No one gets left behind and no one hares off ahead. I see your group are mainly on similar middleweight bikes which is good.

No hard feelings!

Edited by H1w4yR1da
  • Like 1

please dont fight with each other guys, you are fellow riders. there are not many long term riders in Thailand like us and yet we break each others' heart!

dave, going with 110 - 125 kph all the time might be slow. i for one sometime would like to get my speed and roll on fix too!

last group we ride with terry was slow at times and there was a leader. we thought we would die but after a while leader got some speed and some parts, of the route, it was OK to pass the leader and get a speed burst and you wait for the rest of the group at the first intersection 5 - 10 km later.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Of course some riders are asses, regardless of the engine size of the bike but I guess the previous bad experience left a bad taste, which is understandable but from your post I do detect a dislike for big bike riders which other posters here also seem to have.

Ok the group I ride with, can travel quite rapidly but there is no racing and thankfully, the only dick waving is done in private.

One can ride at higher speeds AND enjoy the ride and companionship. Though I would add, I find slower speeds on the highway to be more dangerous as one needs to be more constantly aware of vehicles coming up from the rear so now I tend to believe a ride is more enjoyable if the group is of similar ability and on similarly sized machines. No one gets left behind and no one hares off ahead. I see your group are mainly on similar middleweight bikes which is good.

No hard feelings!

Glad you understand.

please dont fight with each other guys, you are fellow riders. there are not many long term riders in Thailand like us and yet we break each others' heart!

dave, going with 110 - 125 kph all the time might be slow. i for one sometime would like to get my speed and roll on fix too!

last group we ride with terry was slow at times and there was a leader. we thought we would die but after a while leader got some speed and some parts, of the route, it was OK to pass the leader and get a speed burst and you wait for the rest of the group at the first intersection 5 - 10 km later.

There isn't much of a problem if someone wants to jump out and 'clean out the carbon'...they just can't expect the group to follow suit and should realise that the group will make their waypoints and depart together. If the quick ones are ok with that they are welcome. If they want to come and incite slower riders to go beyond their abilities, than they're not welcome. This is a pleasant ride open to all; anybody that doesn't want to be part of the group can utilise my planning and form another group or ride out ahead of us and wait (or not). Just don't ruin it for others.

of course we all depart and go through waypoints together dave! no problems with that.

Fast riders must have the right to go fast at times and of course i dont expect others follow me if they dont want. it is never about inciting others.

I just want my speed fixbiggrin.png and it is totally doable in a group ride.

• Like 2

guys just use the cornerman system i put up the video to show how it works in another thread,you obviously want quite a quick experienced safe rider at the front ,you never get lost don't all have to wait at intersections and still get your speed fix from when you have had to mark a corner you get to race back behind the leader it really is a great system and the more bikes there are the better it seems to work...have fun wish i could join you...

p.s plan one in december /jan and i will join youbiggrin.png

• Like 2

Gents, I can't make it. Although my clutch is fixed and awaiting collection, I have been booked on a flight south for a wedding.

FYI, there is a Thai Adventure Bikers trip to Tee Lor Su that weekend, so had the weeding been another time I would have been traumatised by deciding to retake the hills I lost last weekend, or ride with people I don't know and might also enjoy company thereof.

Hope y'aal have fun and return safe. Cheers.

guys just use the cornerman system i put up the video to show how it works in another thread,you obviously want quite a quick experienced safe rider at the front ,you never get lost don't all have to wait at intersections and still get your speed fix from when you have had to mark a corner you get to race back behind the leader it really is a great system and the more bikes there are the better it seems to work...have fun wish i could join you...

yeah i know that tanin.

but, I believe, a sweeper is enough riding back and forth and keep the coordination between slow and fast rider. When sweeper sees slow riders very behind, he runs fast, reach the fast riders in the front and inform them to slow down and wait for others.

or if sweeper sees slow riders too slow, inform them to be fast a bit.

and anyway, if all riders in the group ride does their homework in advance and study the route and plan regarding intersections, turning points, markers, stops, fast sections, slow sections, curvy areas etc. nobody gets lost. All needed is fast riders needs to wait at the next turns or intersections. if no intersection or turns, fast riders slow a bit or wait for others 5 - 10 km later for courtesy.

actually an intercom system also do wonders on big group rides.

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

yeah i know that tanin.

but, I believe, a sweeper is enough riding back and forth and keep the coordination between slow and fast rider. When sweeper sees slow riders very behind, he runs fast, reach the fast riders in the front and inform them to slow down and wait for others.

and anyway, if all riders in the group ride does their homework in advance and study the route and plan regarding intersections, turning points, markers, stops, fast sections, slow sections, curvy areas etc. nobody gets lost. All needed is fast riders needs to wait at the next turns or intersections. if no intersection or turns, fast riders slow a bit or wait for others 5 - 10 km later for courtesy.

If someone is riding along who is fast has a GPS, I don't mind being the last person in the group to make sure the trailing people don't get lost. After the wat, I don't even need a GPS as I know the area quite well. I and my pillion both have Cardo Scala intercom, don't mind pairing up with others either.

I am pushing hard to get a feel of how many will join so I know how many routes/waypoints/turns to print up. Going to make them nice and big so easily legible. Would also be a good idea to gather phone numbers for those I've never ridden with before so that we can sort out any lost sheep along the way.

yeah i know that tanin.

If someone is riding along who is fast has a GPS, I don't mind being the last person in the group to make sure the trailing people don't get lost. After the wat, I don't even need a GPS as I know the area quite well. I and my pillion both have Cardo Scala intercom, don't mind pairing up with others either.

I am pushing hard to get a feel of how many will join so I know how many routes/waypoints/turns to print up. Going to make them nice and big so easily legible. Would also be a good idea to gather phone numbers for those I've never ridden with before so that we can sort out any lost sheep along the way.

i can be the sweeper going back and forth. I am good at it.

but dave, please arrange the ride starting very early and ending early as i have a lot of business on that sunday and next day will be like hell for me with a couple of presentations. just keep in mind.

i can be the sweeper going back and forth. I am good at it.

but dave, please arrange the ride starting very early and ending early as i have a lot of business on that sunday and next day will be like hell for me with a couple of presentations. just keep in mind.

The 0800 departure time has to stand as only John Park has confirmed. As he's coming up from Pattaya, it wouldn't be right to demand him to get there earlier.

The times I suggested in my earlier post definitely erred on the side of too much. Unless someone is really pokey, or too much time is spent at the breaks, we'll comfortably beat the projected time back to Bangkok.

• Like 1