Sunday 04 Oct Ride

dave_boo

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

it was a nice ride and nice people. thanks dave for arranging the ride.

nice riding with you all under that gale, but what a gale! waiting under roadside shacks and 200 km of soaked wet ridelaugh.png but great fun.

route was good too, we even got a gravel road through some mountains!

close to 600 km i made today.

note: dave, it was your route and you agreed to lead but route was not super clear imo at some points.

but thanks again, it was a nice ride.

welcome back home bro!

Edited by ll2

I made it home in one piece :-)

Had to stop for gas, was riding on reserve.

When I have the time I will upload some videos.

Thanks again, Dave, for organising this ride.

I just hope we took enough pictures in our riding gear whistling.gif

• Like 2

All in all a good ride; disappointed about all the rain, but what can you do?

Unfortunately I am having a hard time uploading the pictures either here or on imgur. I'll keep at it, but give me some time.

Glad you all had a good ride in spite of the rain...Tis the season eh?

Was pouring even up north yesterday.

For pics I like this site now http://postimage.org/

You can make an account or even just post & link if you dont care

about having an album

It is nice because after you post you just click forum thumbnail link & you paste it in a forum

shows as a thumbnail

Made it home safely, but needed a long hot shower to get all may body parts back to normal proportions thumbsup.gif

Being a rational atheist, Dave_boo's remark about this ride being jinxed made me smile: we simply (=statistically and probability wise) were bound to see some(!?) rain...

Anyway, it was a most interesting and fun way to meet you guys in a such a 'notorious' ride wink.png

I'm certainly game for another similar experience (if a get the general's approval, that is)

jo

PS: I'm looking for a more elegant an intuitive way to track and prepare rides than the Garmin Base Camp I use currently. Somebody got some ideas?

• Like 1

Made it home safely, but needed a long hot shower to get all may body parts back to normal proportions thumbsup.gif

Being a rational atheist, Dave_boo's remark about this ride being jinxed made me smile: we simply (=statistically and probability wise) were bound to see some(!?) rain...

Anyway, it was a most interesting and fun way to meet you guys in a such a 'notorious' ride wink.png

I'm certainly game for another similar experience (if a get the general's approval, that is)

jo

PS: I'm looking for a more elegant an intuitive way to track and prepare rides than the Garmin Base Camp I use currently. Somebody got some ideas?

I use google maps and then simply put the coordinates in my dinosaur....probably not the most elegant but often times I can get a street view to double check things.

jo

'Notorious ride' .... hahahaha

Reading some of the posts on TV, one might be forgiven for thinking that TV posters are a strange and dysfuntional lot. Some could have turned up with a plastic bucket on their heads and flip flops, clutching a six pack against their bulging pot belly.

Sadly as it turned out, we were pretty much normal, ordinary people. Guess that's because none of us are known to troll or bait threads, haha

• Like 1

Here is one of the videos I made yesterday, the rest is still uploading

Where are all the photos?

Thanks for the video. Looks very dangerous at those speeds but alway ride to your ability.

That was nothing, it got much much worse. There were times when I thought I wouldn't make it back alive lol. Once night fell and after riding through heavy heavy rain, I had never been so happy to see the bright lights of a service station. We all thought we would be back in Bangkok by 4-5pm, as it turned out, more like 9pm. Still, a good day and a damn good sleep that night.

Thanks for the video. Looks very dangerous at those speeds but alway ride to your ability.

That was nothing, it got much much worse. There were times when I thought I wouldn't make it back alive lol. Once night fell and after riding through heavy heavy rain, I had never been so happy to see the bright lights of a service station. We all thought we would be back in Bangkok by 4-5pm, as it turned out, more like 9pm. Still, a good day and a damn good sleep that night.

haha, macknife.

When we arrived at that Sh...itty Pure Petrol station with lights - which normally i never use- , it was a nice moment!

All in all a good ride; disappointed about all the rain, but what can you do?

Unfortunately I am having a hard time uploading the pictures either here or on imgur. I'll keep at it, but give me some time.

Glad you all had a good ride in spite of the rain...Tis the season eh?

Was pouring even up north yesterday.

For pics I like this site now http://postimage.org/

You can make an account or even just post & link if you dont care

about having an album

It is nice because after you post you just click forum thumbnail link & you paste it in a forum

shows as a thumbnail

Yep, you shouldnt ride in rainy season if you dont like rain :)

But i agree, sunday was extremely windy. I did Khao Yai on Monday and it was still very windy and i had hours of rain and storm. I even got a bit wet in my rain gear and my goretex boots. For such extremes i need to be prepared better next time.

Good to hear you all made it home safely. Good job Dave.

Yeah, that grey pickup overtaking at the 17.22/23 mark is the kind of situation one should really avoid.

But shouldn't be too harsh. They were riding two-up in the wet. And with top boxes!

Edited by H1w4yR1da

Yeah, that grey pickup overtaking at the 17.22/23 mark is the kind of situation one should really avoid.

But shouldn't be too harsh. They were riding two-up in the wet. And with top boxes!

Good observation. It's a tricky situation. In the dry, we were generally travelling faster than the traffic - I don't recall any close overtakes by idiot drivers. But it was really pouring down with rain, there was lots of standing water on the roads, visibility was poor, and it's a judgement call as to what speeds we should travel at. We were not too slow by any means, probably doing about 70 kph at that stage but you can't account for others driving faster than the conditions dictate.

• 1 month later...