Phetchabun -> Mae Hong Son

revgreen

I'm wanting to ride Mae Hong Son next month. I'll be starting/ending in Phetchabun - what is the best route to get up to CM (or is there a better place to start the loop)?

Going straight from PB to CM is a bit of a haul, so I was hoping to split that part of the trip up a bit.

Take the 12 pass plok and then get on the 1348 this will take you to theon on the superhighway then the 106 to Lamphun at Lamphun take the river road into cm or stay on the 106 into the southside of CM. I ride this route every time I go south these roars are in very good shape except for a few places and it is easy riding with a few twisties and some nice scenery. Check out Google map or buy a thai road map.

• Like 1

Take the 12 pass plok and then get on the 1348 this will take you to theon on the superhighway then the 106 to Lamphun at Lamphun take the river road into cm or stay on the 106 into the southside of CM. I ride this route every time I go south these roars are in very good shape except for a few places and it is easy riding with a few twisties and some nice scenery. Check out Google map or buy a thai road map.

How long does the trip take when you factor in fuel/food/rest stops?

I have a PCX ride typically 80 to 100k per hour stop about every 2 hours for a stretch and WC break, it takes me about 7 to 8 hours for CM to Plok. I usually have a destination of around 300 to 400k and that's where I stop. Petchbum is what about 2 hours beyond Plok. It will also depend on how many trips you have ridden in the past and how hard your backside is. If you want to take the 11 to Chiang Mai I have made the ride from Nam Pat to Chiang Mai in about 7 hours as well. But the 11 kind of sucks due to traffic, NamPat is a small village east of the 11 and just south of the big lake. How ever you go it is a great ride.

• Like 1

I have a PCX ride typically 80 to 100k per hour stop about every 2 hours for a stretch and WC break, it takes me about 7 to 8 hours for CM to Plok. I usually have a destination of around 300 to 400k and that's where I stop. Petchbum is what about 2 hours beyond Plok. It will also depend on how many trips you have ridden in the past and how hard your backside is. If you want to take the 11 to Chiang Mai I have made the ride from Nam Pat to Chiang Mai in about 7 hours as well. But the 11 kind of sucks due to traffic, NamPat is a small village east of the 11 and just south of the big lake. How ever you go it is a great ride.

This will be my first long ride in Thailand, so lighter traffic is a plus. May end up having to break the trip into two days though. Not sure I'm up for ~10 hours in the saddle.

If you don't want to use the main highway and want to take the extra day to enjoy a scenic ride...

Go straight across to Tak, north to Thoen, west to Li and Hot and Mae Sariang then north to MHS.

Duelsportbiker is right, get of the hiway at Thoen, and enjoy a beautifull drive.

From Thoen you drive to Hot, please do this in the daytime and not when it's dark! From Hot to Mae Hong Son is a other 4 to 5 hour drive, a beautifull drive.

Do this also in the daytime and enjoy the scenery. When I do this drive, out of Chaiyaphum, we always stay in a hotel in Hot. Good hotel, clean, not expensive and secure parking.

I forgot the name, but if you turn in to Hot, you have to take a right, coming from Li or Thoen.

This is the main road, after about 250 metrrs you will see on your right hand sight a gas station that looks like nobody is there, about 50 meters down the road you make a U turn.

Enjoy the free coffee in this hotel and get on the road in the morning. When you come in to Mai Sariang, just keep following the main road.

After the road takes a turn to the right, follow it for about 300 meters. On your lright hand you will see some big gas station and 7-11, but on the left is a area of some small Thai restarants. Good food here.

Just before Mae Hong Son, I think about 15 km, there is this look out point, on the right hand side. Make sure you stop there and enjoy the view.

When you make it to Mae Hong Son, have a beer in the Crossroad, a good place and nice people.

Have a good trip en enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Dutchissan - any chance you can dig out the hotel info? I am always looking for options... try Google Street View to locate it wai2.gif

I stayed in Li at the IngFa resort at these coords 17.804403, 98.947042. We ate across the street in a fun little venue where I ratcheted up my spice tolerance a couple of notches with this beef salad! Apparently the people of Li like to turn on the heat.

Whichever way you go, enjoy the ride...

post-141207-0-21929300-1411385449_thumb.

• Like 1

Look on the map for Thoen it is on the 1 highway north of Tak The 106 ends or starts in Thoen and goes North to CM. It is a very good road with the exception of a few stretches. I am sorry I said the 1348 outside of Plok but it is the 1048 you want north of Sukhothai. After going thru Ploke take the 12 by-pass around Sukhothai take the 101 exit to the airport and watch for the exit to Thung Saliam this will put you on the 1048 to Thoen where you can pick up the 106. By taking the 1048 you will avoid the remainder of the 12 highway to Tak and the 1 highway from Tak to Thoen which is a boring 80 k stretch if there ever was one.

If you come to CM I can recommend the smith Residence where I live all covered protected parking look them up on the internet just off the south side of the moat. PM me if you want.

Edited by moe666

This is the route I would ride from Petchabun to MHS. It goes through Thoen, Li, Hot, Mae Sariang. Follow the line to find the missing towns tongue.png

Perfect, looks likes a beautiful ride. Thanks. You say you usually stay overnight in Hot?

After MHS where is the best place? MHS -> Pai -> CM (not interested in staying in CM) -> back home?

As for the return ride, Pai to CM is a morning ride so you can push on to Lumphun and Lampang and down the 11 to home. To be honest, I'd go back the way I came because there are more curves to enjoy!

If time was not an obstacle, ride east to Nan and the 1026 to the Sirikit reservoir that borders Uttaradit province. Finding your way home from there would be easy.

Edited by DualSportBiker
  • Like 1