Honda Baja 250, the ideal bike for touring/soft roads?

AllanB

It is a shame they don't make and sell the Honda Baja 250 in Thailand http://www.remoteasia.com/Honda_Baja_250_rental_Laos.html

We are planning a 5 day tour of Laos using these bikes, which appear to be ideal, even taking the missus along, since neither of us are of "gigantic proportions", has anyone any experience of these machines?

• Like 1

I rode a few of them in Cambodia, and they were all shafted, which is no reflection on the bikes as such but moreso on the people that maintain them. I did a 700km round trip on one of them and I found it comfortable enough to ride, but would be happy enough with a CRF250L instead. The CRF is made and available in Thailand.

Just make sure the rear shock has some damping! I rented one Baja which had this problem and it was like riding a goddamn kangaroo...

I rode a few of them in Cambodia, and they were all shafted, which is no reflection on the bikes as such but moreso on the people that maintain them. I did a 700km round trip on one of them and I found it comfortable enough to ride, but would be happy enough with a CRF250L instead. The CRF is made and available in Thailand.

Just make sure the rear shock has some damping! I rented one Baja which had this problem and it was like riding a goddamn kangaroo...

Good point, but it sounds as though it got you where you were going, if you managed a 700km round trip, did you have any breakdowns?

Many people underestimate the importance of shocks, in essence they protect everything, especially off road.

Being an off road bike they must surely get a hammering, I hired a 150 Kawa, no more than a year old and that wasn't that tight.

Another vote for the Honda CRF250L - nice easy motor with steady power deliver is ideal for off-road touring, surprisingly good headlight, reasonable off-road ability for a road biased "off-roader".

it's not perfect - fuel tank is small, seat is hard and passenger foot pegs are high and close to the riders feet.

Solutions are - carry a fuel can, add an Airhawk seat cover and get a small girlfriend.

• Like 1

If you looking for a perfect multi-terrain motorcycle to travel South-East Asia, I would suggest you buy the Honda CRF250L and modify it a little to carry hard “Adventure type” luggage..

The Honda CRF250L has a very good, record breaking, fuel efficiency it will deal with some additional “high-presure” fuel filters with any fuel available around South-East Asia and is actually a very modern motorcycle with all its comforts...

The Honda XR250 “Baja” is an antique bike which is only alive because the engine is like many other Honda models undistructable if the right maintenance is applied.... I have no doubt that the Honda CRF250L engine is from the same quality if serviced correctly....

• Like 1

Don't forget the Klx250s, lots of people on GTrider on those doing off road adventures.

It's a tall bike though and the seat sucks like on all dirt bikes.

I did a 700km trip through Laos on a Dtracker250 with Klx wheels about 4 years ago with no tech problems.

If you are doing smooth off road then no worry, but if you start doing trails with obstacles and bumps, then height is a big factor.

You need enough legs to catch all the weight of a rebounding bike and its riders.

I am 173cm tall and gave up on all off roading because I was too short to catch my rebounds on the Dtx with Klx wheels.

I got both feet on the ground but with straight legs; my weakness and downfall.

Over a year and a dozen crazy off road adventures; I realized I could never get better because the bike was too tall for me.

I probably got tossed off my bike 50 to 100 times in 5000 km.

I really feel if your knees aren't bent with your feet flat on the ground then the bike is too tall to ride safely off road.

My friends ride Klx250s no problem but they are 180cm+ tall.

If I was going to off road again I would get a much shorter Klx150 (no passenger) because even a Crf250 would probably be too tall for me.

I would prioritize good suspension over speed and power when off roading.

My friends rented Hondas like in the link and their suspensions were harsh compared to the Cadillac ride of a Klx250 but they are much lighter and easy to handle; a tradeoff decision.

I suggest serious protective gear if you do real off roading like full length MX boots, gloves, neck brace, and full helmet.

I have tested those and full padded pants and armored jacket to the fullest.

I 100% would be paralysed or have broken legs if I didn't have the above gear on.

For those interested in buying a bike you should also know you will eventually break your subframe (Klx or Crf)carrying any luggage (passenger is worse) past the triangulation of the subframe.

That weight pogo-ing off the back will fatigue the frame.

You just need to reweld and reinforce it later.

I recommend GT Rider forums, they are all about SEA off roading.

Edited by ttakata

If you looking for a perfect multi-terrain motorcycle to travel South-East Asia, I would suggest you buy the Honda CRF250L and modify it a little to carry hard Adventure type luggage..

The Honda CRF250L has a very good, record breaking, fuel efficiency it will deal with some additional high-presure fuel filters with any fuel available around South-East Asia and is actually a very modern motorcycle with all its comforts...

The Honda XR250 Baja is an antique bike which is only alive because the engine is like many other Honda models undistructable if the right maintenance is applied.... I have no doubt that the Honda CRF250L engine is from the same quality if serviced correctly....

Agree with the posters recommendations on the CRF250L, which happen to be manufactured in Thailand.

Most Bajas you find are old and rode hard, especially rentals.

Best thing about the Baja was the double headlight. It was a great bike in its day and I still have one in the barn back home but the grandkids get more use out of it than me.

Another vote for the Honda CRF250L - nice easy motor with steady power deliver is ideal for off-road touring, surprisingly good headlight, reasonable off-road ability for a road biased "off-roader".

it's not perfect - fuel tank is small, seat is hard and passenger foot pegs are high and close to the riders feet.

Solutions are - carry a fuel can, add an Airhawk seat cover and get a small girlfriend.

Well, 3 points which are surely pretty important for touring SE Asia, small tank is a pain, "carry a fuel can" you must be kidding: dreadful seat, okay it can be fixed; but really uncomfortable foot pedals, a big no no.

Odd really it is built for a six footer, but at 6 foot I found it really uncomfortable, to me it is a stand up dirt bike.

I haven't tried the Baja, wondered how it compared.

I'd say if it's mechanically sound Baja, that's probably a fair price, given that new CRF250s are around 140,000.

When I rented in Cambodia, the penalty to be paid in the event of losing/destroying the Baja was $1800!!

Ouch, a bit greedy!.

This one is in a motorbike graveyard/collector,who's was an Engineering Lecturer. So hopefully its a good as it looks and got a green book.

Thanks

I recently bought a Honda CRF250M. My 3rd ride was a 150 km ride from CM, through Samoeng, up over the mountains (very narrow, rutted, dirt trail) about 25k) to Mae Wang district and back to CM.

After that ride, I gave this bike the thumbs up of approval and I am glad I got the M over the L.
I'll be taking this bike into Laos this winter for a several day ride.

After that ride, I gave this bike the thumbs up of approval and I am glad I got the M over the L.

Interesting... I'm pretty much decided on buying the M over the L. Do you have the factory-fitted tyres on it still? I see Pirelli do some nice looking mixed-terrain tyres.

I was toying with the idea of buying a set of L wheels to go with it, but not sure.

I have the stock IRC tires on there and they did fine on both the road and off road part of my last 3 rides. I am looking at other options when the time come...Pirelli and Michelin.

If and when the time comes that I wish I had a set of 21/18 wheels and tires then I'll get... but, now I don't have a need. I am justifying it by saying that the motard is essentially a dirt race bike too and the wheel/tires are fine for dirt roads and most dirt trails... and the 21/18 is good for "dirt" and serious ruts and I'm thinking motocross... but, since I can ride most things, I just slow down with the 17 wheels/tires.
Example, I will take a trip to Laos hopefully... not worth having the 21/18 combo with dirt tires as most of the trip will be paved roads or dirt roads.

Interesting... I'm pretty much decided on buying the M over the L. Do you have the factory-fitted tyres on it still? I see Pirelli do some nice looking mixed-terrain tyres.

I was toying with the idea of buying a set of L wheels to go with it, but not sure.