Tourism on Bangkok's Khao San Rd sees little impact from Koh Tao murder

webfact

Tourism on Khao San sees little impact from Koh Tao murder

BANGKOK, 25 September 2014 (NNT) – Foreign tourists continue to visit Khao San Road in Bangkok as usual and are confident in their safety while in Thailand despite the recent death of two British nationals on the island of Koh Tao.

Tourism activities are going on normally throughout Bangkok, including the famous Khao San Road which has long been one of the capital’s tourism hotspots.

In the wake of the murder of two British backpackers on Koh Tao which made headlines around the world earlier this month, business operators along Khao San Road indicated a slight decline in the number of tourists as their sentiment had been somewhat affected by the incident.

However, most visitors affirmed that their experience in Thailand had been memorable and that the Kingdom was still as safe as before.

Previously, the Minister of Interior expressed concerns over the murder on Koh Tao and thus ordered related units in every province to beef up security at all local tourist attractions in a bid to ensure safety of all visitors.

Additional CCTV cameras and street lights are being installed in areas prone to criminal activities while Thai citizens have been urged to be good hosts to foreigners.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-09-25 footer_n.gif

The Interior Ministry yesterday ordered provincial authorities across the country to work out urgent measures to ensure extra safety for tourists, including surveillance at tourist sites during the risky hours, setting up of road checkpoints and monitoring of people involved in suspicious activities.

The measures and the surveillance will be conducted jointly by the police, soldiers and civilian authorities, Interior permanent secretary Wibool Sa-ngaunphong said. Long-term measures would involve the installation of more surveillance cameras and lights in vulnerable areas.

Stable door like the mouth wide open. Stable like the brain vacant.

Horse-and-stable-door.jpg

Edited by siampolee

However, most visitors affirmed that their experience in Thailand had been memorable and that the Kingdom was still as safe as before.

Previously, the Minister of Interior expressed concerns over the murder on Koh Tao and thus ordered related units in every province to beef up security at all local tourist attractions in a bid to ensure safety of all visitors.

However, most visitors affirmed that their experience in Thailand had been memorable and that the Kingdom was still as safe as before.whistling.gif

Previously, the Minister of Interior expressed concerns over the murder on Koh Tao and thus ordered related units in every province to beef up security at all local tourist attractions in a bid to ensure safety of all visitors.whistling.gif

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQbKbnRNaqgdDdmrBB0DrIQoSqrJVma6rBzuuFUufhcPyEUruKV

So heartwarming to note the concern for the victims of the horrific crime on Koh Tao from the Ministry of the Inferior Interior.

So refreshing and uplifting to see that external income from tourism is not affected by murders robbery rape scams a corrupt inefficient police farce force etc.

However just wait a while then there will be a drop in figures, people in the west tend to plan ahead for holidays ,time will will tell regarding the impact on the tourist sector.

You can wait as long as you want and you will never know for sure if it has really been affected. TAT and TCT if anything are consistent in giving fake statistics for tourism.

Maybe I am getting old and soft, maybe its just me, but I find this type of statrment highly insensitive. I dont really give a shit about the tourist industry at the moment.

You're neither old nor soft. You are a human being with a heart, and anyone, save the Thais at TAT, would share your sentiment. Who gives a flying <deleted> about tourist numbers? I don't. I hope they stay away, but I know they won't.

• Like 2

I hope Thailand suffers. Loss of money is the only thing that will make them think

... i join you there mate but seems it's just wishful thinking we're adhering to, to NOT spend our touristmoney in places that simply 'don't get their sh!t straight' is what maybe you & me and folks with about half a brain would do and certainly would have applied beeing a packpacker say 20yrs ago ... alas not so todays partygeneration, i'm afraid:

=> just google >murder island bar sign<, i explicitely won't post the link here as it would get me post killed again ... (...) !

Maybe I am getting old and soft, maybe its just me, but I find this type of statrment highly insensitive. I dont really give a shit about the tourist industry at the moment.

There are millions of people who do give a shit about the tourism industry in Thailand. I believe you can understand that too.

Many people were saying (especially here on TV) that the tourism industry will suffer a lot because of the KT tragedy.

• Like 1

There are millions of people who do give a shit about the tourism industry in Thailand. I believe you can understand that too.

Many people were saying (especially here on TV) that the tourism industry will suffer a lot because of the KT tragedy.

... well, i for me part certainly very much hope so!

Instead of blaming the insensitivities of the thai people.....look at things the other way.....their own kind has been murdered in thailand in a gruesome manner and many of their own kind has been robbed or scammed, yet these insensitive tourists return to patronise the locals as this is the only place that they most probably can afford to buy cheap garbage, use drugs and party cheaply and maybe even get sex for cheap or free without realising that they look like poeple with no sense of dignity or pride as they still come here despite whats happenning to their own kind. A reflection of what upbring and society that these insensitive tourists are!

• Like 2

People on Khao San Road still confident after bus overturns and kills 20 in Ranong.

People on Khao San Road still confident after tourist crashes motorcycle in Udon Thani.

People on Khao San Road still confident after tourists drown near Phuket.

People on Khao San Road worried over 50% price hike of Pad Thai.

People on Khao San Road panic after brutal double murder in popular guest house.

The twist and turns that are done to protect the tourist dollar...