Ipaq Hw6515 & Dtac

billzant

Dear Forum,

I have an iPaq hw 6515. I was using it with DTAC as a phone but recently asked them to facilitate the email.

For a while it kept trying to connect all the time, and I was running up the bill. I phoned them and the lady mentioned MMS. Somehow I did something to the MMS and it stopped trying to connect. She did suggest I go to the DTAC shop.

Now I have been trying to make the PocketPC act as a modem for my laptop (HP zt3352ap with SP2), and it started this reconnecting business. I messed around and somehow stopped it. As yet I have only installed the softpaq and have not got it working yet.

I am not too keen on this haphazard approach. Is there anyone out there with more solid advice?

Hope you are keeping well,

All the Best

Bill Z

Instructions on setting up DTAC GPRS and using your phone as a modem for your laptop are here.

About this connecting thing, did you set up an email account on your PDA ? It might be set to retrieve email at scheduled intervals (in which case you can turn it off if you want, but if you buy a GPRS plan it should be very affordable).

MMS is totally evil. I cannot think of a good use for it (better to email things to people IMHO).

Instructions on setting up DTAC GPRS and using your phone as a modem for your laptop are here.

About this connecting thing, did you set up an email account on your PDA ? It might be set to retrieve email at scheduled intervals (in which case you can turn it off if you want, but if you buy a GPRS plan it should be very affordable).

MMS is totally evil. I cannot think of a good use for it (better to email things to people IMHO).

Dear Crushdeoth,

Thanks for this, Iwill look into it.

I don't know about totally evil but what is it? Some kind of ongoing multimedia messaging service? How can I ensure it is never working? Is it in your article that i have to work on?

Thanks for your help

All the Best

Bill Z

Dear Crushdepth,

Had a good look at what you said.

I am trying to do something that is very close to this but it is not the same. I am trying to setup the iPaq as a wireless modem not a bluetooth modem - that just seems to be the capability of the hardware. I am stuck onuser name and password and an APN number whatever that is.

On your site you said no user name and password so I'll see what DTAC says as I have emailed them - I need the APN whatever.

I have already setup the iPaq to collect pop3 mail, and those settings don't have a user name or password.

Than ks for your help.

All the Best

Bill Z

• 1 month later...
Dear Forum,

I have an iPaq hw 6515. I was using it with DTAC as a phone but recently asked them to facilitate the email.

For a while it kept trying to connect all the time, and I was running up the bill. I phoned them and the lady mentioned MMS. Somehow I did something to the MMS and it stopped trying to connect. She did suggest I go to the DTAC shop.

Now I have been trying to make the PocketPC act as a modem for my laptop (HP zt3352ap with SP2), and it started this reconnecting business. I messed around and somehow stopped it. As yet I have only installed the softpaq and have not got it working yet.

I am not too keen on this haphazard approach. Is there anyone out there with more solid advice?

All the Best

Bill Z

Have you managed to use GPS on the hw6515? If so which software fits on the arkward 240 x240 screen?