How do you feel about growing older here in Thailand?

TonyHawkins

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny how it's only old people that say "age is a state of mind".

They're wrong. The physical body gets old, wears out and eventually stops.

Funny you think old people are too disillusioned to know that everyone dies.

The importance and significance of good attitude should be apparent to everyone who chooses to maximise every day of their life.

Not disillusioned, not really anything to do with dying. More like an over-eagerness, verging on desperation, to convince others that X amount of years isn't really old.

Used to be that old age was worthy of respect, but, now there is a culture of youth and being old makes the person irrelevant.

By using all these stupid euphemisms and sayings, it kinda legitimizes that way of thinking.

I would have more respect for someone that said "Yes, I'm old. What of it?"

Edited by KarenBravo

Growing old here is better than growing old in some frozen wasteland ohmy.png Age may damage my body, but my mind is still that of a child tongue.png

Sounds like you come from the wilds of Northern Canada.....not all of Canada is a frozen fkn wasteland!!

It's a state of mind. How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Looking in a mirror might give you a clue.

I look in the mirror in the morning everyday..... haven't the faintest who that is on the other side though.... some old geezer..... must be one of those funny mirrors....

• Like 2

Well I have been growing old in Thailand for some 20 years now (I was 70 in May of this year).

I know and realise that at 70 I cannot do things that I could do at 60 or 50, certainly not physically anyway. I can still cut the grass with the strimmer but as there is 2 or 3 rai to cut I choose to cut the lawn as it is less than 1 rai and get somebody in to do the rest and I start around 6.15 and finish before 8 as it is cool then.

I still ride my motorbike but have cut back on long trips now as my reactions are slower and I will probably quit completely in a couple of years.

I am slowly writing my life story for both my Uk son and grandson plus my Thai son to read to show where I came from.

I am sad that I cannot play with my Thai son as I did with my UK as I was 60 when he was born and at my age the body and bones don't always want to do what the mind and memory does.

To slow down the ageing I find that keeping busy is one of the best things you can do.

Get onto the internet and find something interesting. Write your own life story for your Thai families. Learn to cook. Learn how to make furniture. There are zillions of thing you can do.

I make my own bread, rolls, cakes, pies, pasties, ham, bacon, sausage rolls etc all of which I have learned how to do in the 5 years since I retired.

If you want to sit and drink all day, then do so, but it's your life not mine.

Remember LG.

Life is Good and it is your choice to do with it as you will.

I am resurrecting my baking and cooking skills and doing fairly well with that.

I don't start drinking normally until about 6pm and have about 3 Hong Thong and sodas a night and I do drink in the afternoon sometimes if my mate comes over or I go to his place, other than that I don't bother.

I don't normally have the time to get bored.

Must go as I have 2 loaves ready to come out of the oven.

I have delayed many common Western "aging" problems by almost completely eliminating those " ... bread, rolls, cakes, pies, pasties, ham, bacon, sausage rolls etc from my diet." I am lighter in weight, more mobile, more agile and sleep better. At 65, I am in better shape than the 40 and 50 year old slobs I see dragging their fat around in Australia. Seriously, you could have more time to spend with your young Thai son, if you work on it. My healthy rock-climbing, skiing, Norwegian son is now 20, and I plan to know him well in to his 40s.

That said, I plan to buy an oven in Thailand, so I too can bake a few bits and pieces, if only to show Thais what real bread is like, in stead of that spongy fluff they buy at 7/11 and other so-called bakeries. I have even promised a few folks to make them an apple pie. I will have a small slice of each and give the rest away.

I know "old habits die hard", but it is not as difficult as one might think. Good luck to you.

• Like 1

Better than growing old in cold Muslim Britain

But let's put this 'Muslim Britain' into some sort perspective - "...2,660,116 (5.02% of the population)." And the overwhelming majority are peaceable, decent people.

It takes only 0.0001% of those to strap on a heavy waistcoat and make our trip to old age a very iffy thing.....

• Like 1

I'm on the "wrong side" of 72 - but well past the biblical "three score and ten years".

I too use the mirror test - every morning when I wake up I breathe on the mirror - if it doesn't fog up I'm in the right place.

Moving here 6 years ago I reckon took 15 years off my biological age - particularly on a sexual level.

The only problem is I'm a little bit worried I might become a dirty old man.

post-77773-0-39193200-1412231725_thumb.j

Edited by Evilbaz
  • Like 1

You choose where to grow old, many here say it's better than their home country, reason, home country too cold, well, one thing about your home country, I would bet health care for the aged would be a lot better, there would also be more support, financially, for your Thai family when you finally croak it, or will you condemn them to their life as it was before you came along. Growing old isn't too bad, if you remain in good health, how much do you trust your Thai doctor/s.

Growing old here is better than growing old in some frozen wasteland ohmy.png Age may damage my body, but my mind is still that of a child tongue.png

Sounds like you come from the wilds of Northern Canada.....not all of Canada is a frozen fkn wasteland!!

There are not many places not frozen half the year, and there are a few cities that are not wasteland - but since 90% of the people live within an hour or so drive of the US border - my bet is they are not there because the rest of the country is warm.... they are there because it is as warm as they could get too :P Sort of like having a big guy waving a machete at one end of a greyhound bus - everyone moves to the other end.... it happens the same way in frozen wastelands :o

I'm on the "wrong side" of 72 - but well past the biblical "three score and ten years".

I too use the mirror test - every morning when I wake up I breathe on the mirror - if it doesn't fog up I'm in the right place.

Moving here 6 years ago I reckon took 15 years off my biological age - particularly on a sexual level.

The only problem is I'm a little bit worried I might become a dirty old man.

attachicon.gifDOM.jpg

You are already! Just enjoy it while you can - it could get boring after that. smile.png

You choose where to grow old, many here say it's better than their home country, reason, home country too cold, well, one thing about your home country, I would bet health care for the aged would be a lot better, there would also be more support, financially, for your Thai family when you finally croak it, or will you condemn them to their life as it was before you came along. Growing old isn't too bad, if you remain in good health, how much do you trust your Thai doctor/s.

From a position of knowledge having worked in healthcare in North America, U.K., Spain and Australia IMHO the best place to grow old and " to be taken care of" is here in Thailand.

You will not get 1st class aged healthcare in your home country without paying top dollar extra.

The same money goes way further here for a higher standard of amenities and staff.

Nearly all public hospital systems these days in your "home country" are staffed mainly by students and immigrants

Nearly all Thai medical consultants have studied overseas and are on a bonded system to serve the top public hospitals in their Districts as well as their private practices.

Home care for the semi-mobile aged here is cheap as chips and better than you will get for your money than "back home".

Why? Thais will take very good care of their aged - it's a cultural trait - and you - if you can pay the pittance required.

No way I would pin my aged care faith on a Medicare, DVA, NHS or stable-cost private health insurance "scheme".

I'll pay my money here and take my choice of carer(s) in a beneficial climate.

• Like 1

Well the reality is your gotta grow old somewhere...so wherever that may be keep yourself happy and enjoy the ride....cause we're all gonna die someday..

But not really old - I only have 6 or 7 years left. I have known since I was around 18 years old that I was going to die when I was 57 years old.

So, best to make the best of them....

Evilbaz, on 02 Oct 2014 - 15:47, said:
MediaWatcher, on 02 Oct 2014 - 14:53, said:

From a position of knowledge having worked in healthcare in North America, U.K., Spain and Australia IMHO the best place to grow old and " to be taken care of" is here in Thailand.

You will not get 1st class aged healthcare in your home country without paying top dollar extra.

The same money goes way further here for a higher standard of amenities and staff.

Nearly all public hospital systems these days in your "home country" are staffed mainly by students and immigrants

Nearly all Thai medical consultants have studied overseas and are on a bonded system to serve the top public hospitals in their Districts as well as their private practices.

Home care for the semi-mobile aged here is cheap as chips and better than you will get for your money than "back home".

Why? Thais will take very good care of their aged - it's a cultural trait - and you - if you can pay the pittance required.

No way I would pin my aged care faith on a Medicare, DVA, NHS or stable-cost private health insurance "scheme".

What a load of rubbish...from what you say it seems all you were was a janitor. Public health, in Australia, is first class, ok, you won't get a private room, but care wise, buddy, you don't know what you are talking about.

Evilbaz, on 02 Oct 2014 - 16:49, said:

CGH! Media watcher.

My graduate qualifications are in primary health care and post graduate in hospital management.

Dream on and keep believing your media 55555!

From what you wrote it would appear your qualifications are from Timbuktu, either that or you have an axe to grind. You are not the only person who has worked in Australian hospitals, luckily your "opinion" is your own and you are entitled to it. I am glad you will be happy to trust your health to the Thai health (extract more baht) industry.

CGH! Media watcher.

My graduate qualifications are in primary health care and post graduate in hospital management.

Dream on and keep believing your media 55555!

I've seen both from inside and outside and I'm in Thailand. I put my money where my mouth is. I think Evilbaz is correct.

What a load of rubbish...from what you say it seems all you were was a janitor. Public health, in Australia, is first class, ok, you won't get a private room, but care wise, buddy, you don't know what you are talking about.

I was brought up thinking with the propaganda that Canada's Health system is world class - one of the best in the world -- but all is not as it is advertised to be. Yes, each time you go to get medical help (not old-age retirement stuff) you flash your card and you can get some general practitioner (aka gatekeeper) to take a look at you and prescribe antibiotics for you if needed (more often they do and it is part of another problem). If you need to go further (depending on area) you get put on a bunch of different waiting lists. Once you make it through the waiting lists you will get reasonable treatments. The general practitioners in a lot of cases are not that great a doctor.... I had a Japanese woman live with me for 18 months that had 10 years of medical training (system works differently) and half the time she would break out laughing at what the doctor would be telling/prescribing me. Of course part of that problem is that we lost a large number of doctors to higher paying countries - and replaced them with doctors trained in countries of a lesser standard.

Now my personal brush with something just a little more serious was my right knee. I started by going to the doctor and I believe they did an x-ray which showed nothing, they then something else (forget) and then an ultra-sound..... I asked what each of the tests would show and what they expected to find.... he said I expect to find nothing. I asked what would diagnose the problem - he said an MRI would. I asked if he could schedule it - and he told me it could not be scheduled UNTIL all the other tests came back and showed nothing because of cost. Even after I got through the rest of it, I asked how long is the waiting list for the MRI.... he said 8 months (less if you are lucky and someone dies freeing up a slot at the last minute at 3am in the morning). This means it would take almost a year just to know what was wrong with the knee for sure. Then of course after all that you end up on another waiting list if you need surgery. At that point I called up a private MRI clinic across the border (private MRI clinics were illegal in Canada because it was a publicly covered treatment) and asked when I could get an appointment.... they said tomorrow (Saturday) if you want and it would cost $450USD (after the "Canadian" discount). I jumped out of the Canadian system because I did not want to spend 18 months or 2 years in pain and not being able to walk etc. (i.e. 3 - 4% of your life). So yes, it is a great system if you don't use it for anything other than GP appointments.

You can easily get as good or better private coverage here if you have the money (not bad in comparison) -- of course Singapore is a better standard than here or in Canada. There is a reason why there is a burgeoning medical tourism industry here.

I can't know about Australia's system, but it would not be surprised if it is the same as Canadas..... 90%+ of the people are brainwashed into thinking it is world class..... when what it is really is just accessible.

The only concern i have is no private healthcare after 69 for me.So i am saving money ready for, if i need healthcare. Very healthy at the moment, and dont drink too much unlike many expats,who,to be honest are kiling themselves,and not realy enjoying themselves either.

• Like 1

I was brought up thinking with the propaganda that Canada's Health system is world class - one of the best in the world -- but all is not as it is advertised to be. Yes, each time you go to get medical help (not old-age retirement stuff) you flash your card and you can get some general practitioner (aka gatekeeper) to take a look at you and prescribe antibiotics for you if needed (more often they do and it is part of another problem). If you need to go further (depending on area) you get put on a bunch of different waiting lists. Once you make it through the waiting lists you will get reasonable treatments. The general practitioners in a lot of cases are not that great a doctor.... I had a Japanese woman live with me for 18 months that had 10 years of medical training (system works differently) and half the time she would break out laughing at what the doctor would be telling/prescribing me. Of course part of that problem is that we lost a large number of doctors to higher paying countries - and replaced them with doctors trained in countries of a lesser standard.

Now my personal brush with something just a little more serious was my right knee. I started by going to the doctor and I believe they did an x-ray which showed nothing, they then something else (forget) and then an ultra-sound..... I asked what each of the tests would show and what they expected to find.... he said I expect to find nothing. I asked what would diagnose the problem - he said an MRI would. I asked if he could schedule it - and he told me it could not be scheduled UNTIL all the other tests came back and showed nothing because of cost. Even after I got through the rest of it, I asked how long is the waiting list for the MRI.... he said 8 months (less if you are lucky and someone dies freeing up a slot at the last minute at 3am in the morning). This means it would take almost a year just to know what was wrong with the knee for sure. Then of course after all that you end up on another waiting list if you need surgery. At that point I called up a private MRI clinic across the border (private MRI clinics were illegal in Canada because it was a publicly covered treatment) and asked when I could get an appointment.... they said tomorrow (Saturday) if you want and it would cost $450USD (after the "Canadian" discount). I jumped out of the Canadian system because I did not want to spend 18 months or 2 years in pain and not being able to walk etc. (i.e. 3 - 4% of your life). So yes, it is a great system if you don't use it for anything other than GP appointments.

You can easily get as good or better private coverage here if you have the money (not bad in comparison) -- of course Singapore is a better standard than here or in Canada. There is a reason why there is a burgeoning medical tourism industry here.

I can't know about Australia's system, but it would not be surprised if it is the same as Canadas..... 90%+ of the people are brainwashed into thinking it is world class..... when what it is really is just accessible.

OK saai.gif

I see, very strong feelings you have there about - about - about what ???

OK saai.gif

I see, very strong feelings you have there about - about - about what ???

About nationalism and pride making them blind to reality and believing their own governments propaganda about their own systems and believing they are superior in some way to others. Most people only experience is their own system..... yet parrot what their own politicians tell them.... without any other experience. I ran into that with my dentist in Canada before leaving -- I did not have time to do the implant so I told him I would just do it in Thailand then. He made a snide remark and I just said it varies - and there are whole dentist offices that have that graduated from the same dental school (US one). He just assumed they were doing dental work in the jungle under the palm trees ohmy.png

Edited by bkkcanuck8