Bolognese to die for

ericpasansai

Just making some this morning,for lunch,simmering away,smelling wonderful.

All the ingredients can be found here quite easily,the only exception is Italian type

sun ripened plum tomatoes,* I use 50% minced beef,50% pork,celery,carrot,

onions,garlic,had to use Campbell's Prego sauce,my daughter loves it would eat

it 3 times a day,

* Actually did find some in the market couple of years ago,but thats what happens

here find something good and never see it again. i also save some of the sauce

and add spices and beans and it passes as Chilli con Carne with Coriander,with

rice the next day,but only for me.

So why not try and make some yourself,its not rocket science,then you will also

swear you make the best Bolognese in the World.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your quoting me your misquoting, or misinterpreting, me. Of course every Place that serves Thai food here isn't good but the best is the best in the world!

If one of your most memorable meals was a burger in CM then you must either haven't had the chance to dine out much anywhere or have Alzheimer's smile.png

I have mad cow disease! Got it from a so called burger in the USA.

I've found that the food at TV sponsoring restaurants is consistently among the best in the world.

Tried the New Sports Bar on Hang Dong road?

Are you saying the The Game's food is among the best in the world??

Nah you can't be saying that, I've tried it.

I've misread your inference and it's really sarcasm.......right?

The thing is, there are basically 2 kinds of Bolognese sauce. There's the original Italian kind, that has milk and nutmeg and beef in it and only a moderate amount of tomatoes. And it takes hours and hours and hours to prepare. Then there's the other kind which is basically a tomato sauce with meat. They can both be really delicious but they're very different things. I suspect Ragu is making the latter kind. I've had some of their food and to me it tastes like really good Italian American food. But I haven't tried their Bolognese.

I've found that the food at TV sponsoring restaurants is consistently among the best in the world.

Of three meals ordered, two went uneaten. Not even a question as to why the food had only been nibbled at. Can only assume the staff know it is rank.

Of three meals ordered, two went uneaten. Not even a question as to why the food had only been nibbled at. Can only assume the staff know it is rank.

Yup, I went in for a meal once after all the opening hullabaloo and pricing.

It's out of the way for me and I'm afraid it will stay that way, not impressed at all

Can't recall if bolognese sauce was on the menu?

The thing is, there are basically 2 kinds of Bolognese sauce. There's the original Italian kind, that has milk and nutmeg and beef in it and only a moderate amount of tomatoes. And it takes hours and hours and hours to prepare. Then there's the other kind which is basically a tomato sauce with meat. They can both be really delicious but they're very different things. I suspect Ragu is making the latter kind. I've had some of their food and to me it tastes like really good Italian American food. But I haven't tried their Bolognese.

instead of suspecting what they are preparing why don't you try it and then give an opinion

"I have been on a quest for the perfect bolognese sauce for 30 years"

It's bolognese sauce not the Holy Grail wink.png

Funny that as a result of that quest that he thinks the bolognese citizenry of bologna, italy that invented bolognese sauce and have been making it since the 18th century somehow make an inferior bolognese sauce to one that is found in chiang mai, thailand (of all places).

Amazing Thaivisa.

Same if you want a gaeng massaman neua or gaeng ba, the best place for that is in Naples.

"I have been on a quest for the perfect bolognese sauce for 30 years"

It's bolognese sauce not the Holy Grail wink.png

Funny that as a result of that quest that he thinks the bolognese citizenry of bologna, italy that invented bolognese sauce and have been making it since the 18th century somehow make an inferior bolognese sauce to one that is found in chiang mai, thailand (of all places).

Amazing Thaivisa.

Same if you want a gaeng massaman neua or gaeng ba, the best place for that is in Naples.

I know it, the little place on Spaccanapoli street, which is on the left just past where the street changes name to Via S. Biago dei Librai thumbsup.gif

instead of suspecting what they are preparing why don't you try it and then give an opinion

It's actually the former "original Italian kind" of Bolognese that Ragu serves.

I had it last night and it was delicious. I would describe it as "earthy" in a good way--it is a beef-based sauce with the flavor and aroma of the nutmeg and very little tomato (and possibly no tomato paste or sauce?). I would order it again and would recommend it ... as far as I know this is the only place in Chiang Mai where you can find this style of Bolognese.

However, for me personally it does not rise to the level of "to die for" . . .

For a dish to reach that level for me, and I emphasize "for me", it has to:

1) create a subtle explosion (not a contradiction) of all the right flavors in your mouth,

2) leave you saying to yourself "this is really $#@#%*&+ good", or something to that effect, after every bite,

3) cause future cravings for the dish that have to be satisfied,

4) make it almost impossible to order anything else on the menu even if the menu has many delicious options, and

5) create a sense of euphoria while savoring the dish.

Ragu's Bolognese didn't meet any of these tests for me (very few dishes do, and I think I can remember most or them that I've had)... but like I said, it's very good and worth ordering.

I've also had a few of their other dishes, and do agree that it tastes like good Italian American food ... particularly from Chicago, where Dave and I both have roots ... so it suits my taste buds very well.

BTW his thin crust pizza at The Duke's is Chicago style thin crust, which is why I like it so much as well.

For what it's worth, here is my take on some of Ragu's other dishes:

Chicken Parmigiana: Excellent, by far the best I've had in Chiang Mai.

Italian Sausage Cannelloni: Excellent, their Italian sausage is very good and makes any dish it is included in delicious

Creamy Pesto Fettuccine: Very good, the cream makes it heavier but not as oily as a pesto without cream; the grilled chicken on top was a bit plain.

Ravioli Bolognese: Very good with one caveat. The sauce is NOT the Bolognese ragu that comes with pasta, it is a creamy tomato sauce, and the ravioli has beef and riccotta inside. That's OK because it is good, but the caveat is that my ravioli was soft and mushy, which I really don't like.

Italian Beef and Sausage sandwich with spicy au jus dipping sauce: Very good due to the Italian Sausage, but the beef compared to what good Italian Beef should be is just average. This is one item I would also say is overpriced relative to value ... back in Chicago you'd get a much better sandwich almost twice the size for the same or cheaper price ... although you do get a free side of delicious potato salad at Ragu.

My only "beef" with Ragu is that I love Italian Beef sandwiches, and my favorites back in Chicago are "to die for". Dave hasn't come close to cracking that nut ... although in his defense I have never had a good Italian Beef sandwich outside of Chicago. To make the real deal pretty much requires a restaurant specializing in Italian Beef, sausage, etc.

All in all, I think Ragu is an excellent addition to the Chiang Mai restaurant scene and am very happy it's here ... but I really wish it was somewhere other than in a shopping mall.

Edited by Bleacher Bum East

Italian Sausage Cannelloni: Excellent, their Italian sausage is very good and makes any dish it is included in delicious

Creamy Pesto Fettuccine: Very good, the cream makes it heavier but not as oily as a pesto without cream; the grilled chicken on top was a bit plain.

Ravioli Bolognese: Very good with one caveat. The sauce is NOT the Bolognese ragu that comes with pasta, it is a creamy tomato sauce, and the ravioli has beef and riccotta inside. That's OK because it is good, but the caveat is that my ravioli was soft and mushy, which I really don't like.

Italian Beef and Sausage sandwich with spicy au jus dipping sauce: Very good due to the Italian Sausage, but the beef compared to what good Italian Beef should be is just average. This is one item I would also say is overpriced relative to value ... back in Chicago you'd get a much better sandwich almost twice the size for the same or cheaper price ... although you do get a free side of delicious potato salad at Ragu.

My only "beef" with Ragu is that I love Italian Beef sandwiches, and my favorites back in Chicago are "to die for". Dave hasn't come close to cracking that nut ... although in his defense I have never had a good Italian Beef sandwich outside of Chicago. To make the real deal pretty much requires a restaurant specializing in Italian Beef, sausage, etc.

So if I want the real deal Italian sandwich I have to go to Chicago. Italy doesn't have the real deal.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

It's actually the former "original Italian kind" of Bolognese that Ragu serves.

I had it last night and it was delicious. I would describe it as "earthy" in a good way--it is a beef-based sauce with the flavor and aroma of the nutmeg and very little tomato (and possibly no tomato paste or sauce?). I would order it again and would recommend it ... as far as I know this is the only place in Chiang Mai where you can find this style of Bolognese.

However, for me personally it does not rise to the level of "to die for" . . .

For a dish to reach that level for me, and I emphasize "for me", it has to:

1) create a subtle explosion (not a contradiction) of all the right flavors in your mouth,

2) leave you saying to yourself "this is really $#@#%*&+ good", or something to that effect, after every bite,

3) cause future cravings for the dish that have to be satisfied,

4) make it almost impossible to order anything else on the menu even if the menu has many delicious options, and

5) create a sense of euphoria while savoring the dish.

Ragu's Bolognese didn't meet any of these tests for me (very few dishes do, and I think I can remember most or them that I've had)... but like I said, it's very good and worth ordering.

I've also had a few of their other dishes, and do agree that it tastes like good Italian American food ... particularly from Chicago, where Dave and I both have roots ... so it suits my taste buds very well.

BTW his thin crust pizza at The Duke's is Chicago style thin crust, which is why I like it so much as well.

There is one item on the menu that for me meets your criteria of number 4. I can never remember the name it is listed as an appetizer but to me is a full meal. It is the Garlic bread stuffed with cheese, ham, sausage and garlic. Not even sure if it is Garlic bread. Might just be the garlic in the filling. At least as you say it has been imposable so far for me to order any thing else. All though the last time I was there with a friend I did get a sandwich to go. Left it on the back seat in the cab.

I am determined that the next time I am going to try the Bolognese.

So if I want the real deal Italian sandwich I have to go to Chicago. Italy doesn't have the real deal.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

With respect to an Italian Beef sandwich, that's exactly right ... you have to go to Chicago.

The type of Italian Beef sandwiches I'm referring to, and I believe Dave is trying to create, are local to Chicago and not from Italy. The beef is very tender, actually melt in your mouth soft, and they are incredibly flavorful.

You have obviously never had one ... because if you had you wouldn't be laughing.

They are incredibly delicious, and I've never found a good one outside of the Chicago area...if you ask Dave I'm sure he will confirm what I'm saying.

http://www.chefs.edu/student-life/culinary-central/june-2010/chicago-style-italian-beef

History of the Italian Beef

While the true origins are a mystery, it’s widely agreed that it was first found among the workers of Chicago’s famous Union Stock Yards in the 1930s. To hear many Chicagoans tell it, though, the Italian beef sandwich was invented by Al Ferreri of the famous Al’s Beef, arguably Chicago’s best Italian beef sandwich maker. Others argue that Pasquale Scala, founder of Scala Packing Company, invented it to help his customer’s stretch their dollars further during the Great Depression.
While we don’t know exactly who invented the Italian beef sandwich, one thing is certain. Don’t expect your Italian grandmother to make you up some Italian beef, unless, of course she’s from Chicago instead of Napoli.

Several of the best:

http://www.thrillist.com/eat/chicago/best-italian-beef-sandwiches-in-chicago-thrillist

Al's Italian Beef: http://www.alsbeef.com/

Johnnies in Elmwood Park:

https://www.facebook.com/169537026394157/photos/pb.169537026394157.-2207520000.1413183632./676557109025477/?type=1&theater

Portillos: http://chicago.seriouseats.com/2010/10/the-best-italian-beef-sandwich-in-chicago-illinois-als-portillos.html

With respect to an Italian Beef sandwich, that's exactly right ... you have to go to Chicago.

The type of Italian Beef sandwiches I'm referring to, and I believe Dave is trying to create, are local to Chicago and not from Italy. The beef is very tender, actually melt in your mouth soft, and they are incredibly flavorful.

You have obviously never had one ... because if you had you wouldn't be laughing.

They are incredibly delicious, and I've never found a good one outside of the Chicago area...if you ask Dave I'm sure he will confirm what I'm saying.

http://www.chefs.edu/student-life/culinary-central/june-2010/chicago-style-italian-beef

History of the Italian Beef

While the true origins are a mystery, it’s widely agreed that it was first found among the workers of Chicago’s famous Union Stock Yards in the 1930s. To hear many Chicagoans tell it, though, the Italian beef sandwich was invented by Al Ferreri of the famous Al’s Beef, arguably Chicago’s best Italian beef sandwich maker. Others argue that Pasquale Scala, founder of Scala Packing Company, invented it to help his customer’s stretch their dollars further during the Great Depression.
While we don’t know exactly who invented the Italian beef sandwich, one thing is certain. Don’t expect your Italian grandmother to make you up some Italian beef, unless, of course she’s from Chicago instead of Napoli.

Several of the best:

http://www.thrillist.com/eat/chicago/best-italian-beef-sandwiches-in-chicago-thrillist

Al's Italian Beef: http://www.alsbeef.com/

Johnnies in Elmwood Park:

https://www.facebook.com/169537026394157/photos/pb.169537026394157.-2207520000.1413183632./676557109025477/?type=1&theater

Portillos: http://chicago.seriouseats.com/2010/10/the-best-italian-beef-sandwich-in-chicago-illinois-als-portillos.html

I am quite sure you are rite for a Chicago Italian beef sandwich. Maybe Dave is trying to create a Chiang Mai Italian beef sandwich if he is it is the best in the world and you will have to go to Chiang Mai to get it.

That is why I am laughing. The point is if I was in to Italian beef sandwiches in such a big way I would be saying you have to go to Seattle for a great one because that is where I had experienced it.

If I want an authentic Italian beef sandwich with iout any thing added to it I would go to Italy.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Don't even bother trying to explain to the clueless. It's obvious that (a.) the senior citizen to whom you've directed your response doesn't know a thing about the sandwich in question and (b.) he's never been to Italy and tried to order one (they aren't served there.)

The notion that one must order a grilled roast beef panino in Italy or else it's not an authentic Italian Beef sandwich is hilariously misinformed.

Edited by Diplomatico
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So having seen your 30 year quest satisfied eric I figured I should try the spagbol when next at Ragu. The ambience was good -surprisingly quiet when Mix next door was heaving. The servce was good, although I had to ask twice to get Italian bread to the table, after waiting about 15 minutes. Odd on a quiet night.

But a plus was that iced water was brought to the table as soon as we had ordered.

Back to the spagbol- I tried it and was very disappointed.

Very good strong meaty, beef flavours ( maybe from some reduction) but very long on oil and very short on tomato-if any. We all have different taste, and for me the tomato flavours are an important part of bolognese and I dont like my food oily.

Of course the advantage of cooking at home is that you can prepare food to your taste but I wonder if Ragu has different chefs/recipes on different nights as I cant imagine anyone describing what I had as 'Bolognese to die for'. 'Pasta with ground beef in oil' would have been more accurate.

My gf's Napolitana had very good tomato flavours but was very heavy on oregano so no basil detectable. And no parmesan served with either.

Shame as I like the restaurant but I find the food disappointing. Lapin is still my favourite Italian, or Arcobaleno.

Maybe Ragu is more American Italian -if there is such a genre?? Many people seem to rave about Ragu food.....

So having seen your 30 year quest satisfied eric I figured I should try the spagbol when next at Ragu. The ambience was good -surprisingly quiet when Mix next door was heaving. The servce was good, although I had to ask twice to get Italian bread to the table, after waiting about 15 minutes. Odd on a quiet night.

But a plus was that iced water was brought to the table as soon as we had ordered.

Back to the spagbol- I tried it and was very disappointed.

Very good strong meaty, beef flavours ( maybe from some reduction) but very long on oil and very short on tomato-if any. We all have different taste, and for me the tomato flavours are an important part of bolognese and I dont like my food oily.

Of course the advantage of cooking at home is that you can prepare food to your taste but I wonder if Ragu has different chefs/recipes on different nights as I cant imagine anyone describing what I had as 'Bolognese to die for'. 'Pasta with ground beef in oil' would have been more accurate.

My gf's Napolitana had very good tomato flavours but was very heavy on oregano so no basil detectable. And no parmesan served with either.

Shame as I like the restaurant but I find the food disappointing. Lapin is still my favourite Italian, or Arcobaleno.

Maybe Ragu is more American Italian -if there is such a genre?? Many people seem to rave about Ragu food.....

If your description of the bolognese sauce at Ragu is accurate, then it seems that Ragu's version of it is more faithful to the traditional Italian version. Here is a link to the recipe as offered by the Accademia Italiana della Cucina. http://www.itchefs-gvci.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=587&Itemid=976

As you can see, there is very little tomato in the recipe. Other bolognese recipes I have seen from Italian chefs also don't have a lot of tomato in them. Personally, I like Bolognese sauce both ways: with a little tomato or with a lot of tomato At this point they really are 2 different dishes sharing the same name.

• Like 2

The original poster is not seriously stating that a Spaghetti Bolognese at Ragu is better than any similar product in Italy.......seriously??!! Italian food in Italy in most restaurants is to die for, try watching "Italy Unpacked" TV series, or Steve Coogans "The Trip To Italy" or "Ginos Italian Adventure"......etc etc etc !!!

Yawn...

We are in Chiang Mai, not Italy.

The best Bolognese sauce in CM is made daily and sold by a lady named Dang in the Warorot Market, she calls it "nam prick ong".

Nam Prik Ong is green chilli sauce / paste. And the shop that sells the sai oua (CM sausage) near Holiday Inn makes the best nam price ong...

Ragu do the best bolognese sauce. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

The best Bolognese sauce in CM is made daily and sold by a lady named Dang in the Warorot Market, she calls it "nam prick ong".

Nam Prik Ong is green chilli sauce / paste. And the shop that sells the sai oua (CM sausage) near Holiday Inn makes the best nam price ong...

If your knowledge of nam pricks is equal to your knowledge of bolonese sauce, you do not know shit.

Nam prick ong is not a green chili sauce or paste and a paste is very different from a sauce.

If your knowledge of nam pricks is equal to your knowledge of bolonese sauce, you do not know shit.

Nam prick ong is not a green chili sauce or paste and a paste is very different from a sauce.

My apologies. That's naam prik noom i was thinking of.

Nam prik ong is still a chilli sauce / paste though, lol. http://www.thaifood-recipe.com/recipes/9/nam_prik_ong.html

I was about to post the same, Nam Prik Ong is Bolognese sauce on heat.

Amusing posts, especially love the 30 year hunt for the world's best Bolognese sauce being resolved in a shopping centre on the outskirts of Chiang Mai.