Ensure 'fair probe' for suspects, says Thein Sein

Lite Beer

Ensure 'fair probe' for suspects, says Thein Sein
The Nation

30245249-01_big.jpg

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha visits Shwedagon Pagoda in Yangon as part of his official visit to Myanmar yesterday.

YANGON: -- Raises Koh Tao case in talks with Prayut; Myanmar people in Yangon, Tokyo protest

Myanmar President Thein Sein has asked Thailand's visiting premier General Prayut Chan-o-cha to ensure a "clean and fair" investigation for two Myanmar nationals charged with murdering two British tourists on Koh Tao, off Surat Thani, amid allegations of confession under duress, a senior Myanmar official said yesterday.

In Yangon, about 15 people marched around Maha Bandoola Park in downtown Yangon on Thursday evening to call on Thai authorities to fairly investigate the case of two 21-year-old migrant workers from Myanmar.

The protesters carried placards calling on President Thein Sein and the Thai prime minister to ensure the rights of migrant workers in Thailand were respected. They also called for a fair investigation of the accused.

Meanwhile, some 70 Myanmar people based in Japan yesterday also staged a rally in front of the Royal Thai Embassy in Tokyo, pressing for a fair investigation for the two men held as suspects in the Koh Tao murder case, which took place on September 15.

Thein Sein's comments came after reports that the two suspects were tortured into confessing - an allegation the Thai police have strongly denied.

"If they are guilty, action should be taken according to the law. However, the investigation needs to be clean and fair," Thein Sein was quoted as saying to Prayut during talks in Myanmar's capital Nay Pyi Taw on Thursday, according to an unnamed senior source at the president's office.

The high-profile murder case was discussed during talks between the two leaders. Prayut yesterday concluded his two-day visit to Myanmar, his first overseas foray since seizing power in a bloodless coup on May 22. The charges of murder and rape against the two Myanmar men were filed last week after police said the undocumented migrant workers had confessed to killing the British tourists on Koh Tao.

But reports in the Myanmar and Thai media have said the suspects had told a lawyer hired by the Myanmar Embassy that they had confessed to the crime after being tortured, prompting rights groups to demand a probe into their treatment.

"He [Thein Sein] also said these workers' rights need to be protected," the official, who did not want to be named, told AFP, adding that Prayut promised to give "special consideration" to the case.

Thai authorities have strongly denied using the pair as scapegoats in a case that has tarnished Thailand's reputation as a tourist paradise.

Thailand's police chief Pol General Somyot Poompanmoung said yesterday: "I want to stress that police have investigated this case based on the law, examined evidence in line with international standards, and are fully accountable."

On Tuesday, Amnesty International called on Thailand to launch an independent investigation into the allegations of torture of the suspects and other alleged ill-treatment of the suspects by Thai police.

"The pressure to be seen to be solving an appalling crime that has garnered considerable attention should not result in the violation of rights, including to a fair trial," said Richard Bennett, Amnesty International's Asia-Pacific Programme director.

Meanwhile, 20 surveillance cameras have been installed on Koh Tao, of more than 300 planned, Tourism Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul said yesterday. She recently chaired a meeting of tour business owners on Koh Tao, which reached a conclusion on the installation of the units. Yesterday, she held a meeting with tour business owners in seven southern provinces on the Andaman Sea coast

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Ensure-fair-probe-for-suspects-says-Thein-Sein-30245249.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-10-11

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all... I'm helping out the guy who is running the petition (http://goo.gl/FD66Th) to get the UK gov to independently investigate David and Hannah's murders and I need a favour from you wonderful people... The numbers of signees are slowing down somewhat, but we need to keep going - if we reach 100k (currently just over 50k) we can ask for it to be discussed in Parliament.

Anyway trying it tap into new channels outside if what we are currently hitting, so we've just set up a Twitter account - if you have twitter can you pls follow us and give us a share/retweet? Many thanks... We are at: @ThailandJustice

Thank you

Good luck and all the best to your good work.

We need all the outside (international) help we can get, as the situation within Thailand is hopeless. The Chief of Police has declared the perfect arrest, the Prime Minister said he will give awards to the Police team, the Thai media is censored, the country is under martial law, the British Ambassador is acting very coy and his words have been be twisted by the Govt-friendly press, the Myanmese Govt doesn't want to be in the spotlight considering their own poor human rights record, and, unfortunately, many Thais do not care much about the plight of Burmese people.

Your petition can be accessed today, but the Thai authorities can block the website any time they like, so, for those in Thailand, hurry.

• Like 1

Thein Sein obviously telling Prayuth that they are being watched.

What Prayuth and his police chiefs have also forgotten is that there 'human rights' behaviour is also being scrutinised by the US with regards to mistreatment of migrants and their human rights, and now add Amnesty International to that list.

If they decide to carry on with this charade, then I think they will not escape punishment this time. They got off lucky a few months ago when they were downgraded to the lowest tier for human rights abuses yet managed to escape tangible sanctions. They were lucky to get away with a slap on the wrist.

I hope they get a hard kick up the arse next time...... The world is watching.... continue to be stupid, and you may well see CIVILISED countries marking Thailand down as an unsafe destination.

That would wipe that smarmy look off your face.

I believe the UK Government has a duty of care for British subjects and should revise Foreign Office travel guidance in light of the frequency British subjects have been victims of murder, "suicides", rape and other violent crime in Thailand over the past five years.

UK travel advice now updated "Western tourists including British nationals have been victims of vicious, unprovoked attacks by individuals and gangs in Koh Samui, Koh Phangan and Koh Tao (the Samui archipelago)."

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand/safety-and-security

That's old. I think that update followed the attack on Jack Cole and April Clifton.

Needs a bit more now.

Hello all... I'm helping out the guy who is running the petition (http://goo.gl/FD66Th) to get the UK gov to independently investigate David and Hannah's murders and I need a favour from you wonderful people... The numbers of signees are slowing down somewhat, but we need to keep going - if we reach 100k (currently just over 50k) we can ask for it to be discussed in Parliament.

Anyway trying it tap into new channels outside if what we are currently hitting, so we've just set up a Twitter account - if you have twitter can you pls follow us and give us a share/retweet? Many thanks... We are at: @ThailandJustice

Thank you

From the above: I'm helping out the guy who is running the petition to get the UK gov to independently investigate ...

From the UK Embassy -- Bangkok website:

What the FCO and British consulate can’t do

The FCO and British consulate won’t be able to:

• get someone out of prison or detention
  • help someone get special treatment
  • offer legal advice, start legal proceedings or investigate a crime
  • Like 2

I wonder what the UK Embassy is actually doing. The outrage expressed by people on the Internet has been helpful in putting focus Thai and Burmese leadership . The only thing missing are statements from the UK. Please correct me if I am wrong.

WAY TO GO MYANMAR !

Uk can learn a lot from your stance of strength and you will not be messed with quite as easily as you have been in the past. Anyone afraid to speak up from the FO when it is a military junta that seized power in a coup, regardless of the "show" they are giving you, is essentially a coward and You and Sean McAnna should stay hidden in the shadows of this affair so we don't have to clap eyes on either you until you can both step up. Good lord What will it take UK ?

• Like 2

I wonder what the UK Embassy is actually doing. The outrage expressed by people on the Internet has been helpful in putting focus Thai and Burmese leadership . The only thing missing are statements from the UK. Please correct me if I am wrong.

WAY TO GO MYANMAR !

Uk can learn a lot from your stance of strength and you will not be messed with quite as easily as you have been in the past. Anyone afraid to speak up from the FO when it is a military junta that seized power in a coup, regardless of the "show" they are giving you, is essentially a coward and You and Sean McAnna should stay hidden in the shadows of this affair so we don't have to clap eyes on either you until you can both step up. Good lord What will it take UK ?

The accused aren't UK citizens. Nothing they can do.

I don't understand all the commotion here, The police has very strong case !, 2 people killed, the closes-ed burma people there were 3 boys sitting on the beach singing songs of their country and smoke cigarettes !!!!, so it must be them, guilty as hell !

Take their cigarette butts, make them clear they have to confess, let them point to the place the murder happen with 200 policemen behind them.

Case closed and a congratulation from the government for there excellent job.

I would like more indepth answers of:

*The two thai guys that chased down the English guitar player, saying he did it for some strange reason - That was on point.

*The guitar photos with blood on it, does this guy know more than he has said, anyone followed up with him while he's left?

*Proof of the NO DNA son, investigated, there would have been several cameras proving it, sounds like everyone knows he left in the early hours on a boat organised for him to get off the island hours after the event - here lies money, power and obviously No DNA gives it away - but dropped quickly? Thainess. Surely can't be hard to prove it.

*The police trying to convince some taxi guy to take the fall for it, but he refused, obviously these stories makes everyone well aware local police know alot more, as you only find a scapegoat when your been paid ( IE do anything unless money is involved in thailand )

Bit like driving coked up in a ferrari at 200km/hr on local roads killing a cop, paying the family off with chump change while the rest of the cops get paid off to drag it out, while your free to go and live in singapore.. what driver??

probably the wrong place for this.

<p>

Hello all... I'm helping out the guy who is running the petition (http://goo.gl/FD66Th) to get the UK gov to independently investigate David and Hannah's murders and I need a favour from you wonderful people... The numbers of signees are slowing down somewhat, but we need to keep going - if we reach 100k (currently just over 50k) we can ask for it to be discussed in Parliament.Anyway trying it tap into new channels outside if what we are currently hitting, so we've just set up a Twitter account - if you have twitter can you pls follow us and give us a share/retweet? Many thanks... We are at: @ThailandJusticeThank you

From the above: I'm helping out the guy who is running the petition to get the UK gov to independently investigate ... From the UK Embassy -- Bangkok website: What the FCO and British consulate cant doThe FCO and British consulate wont be able to:
  • get someone out of prison or detention
  • help someone get special treatment
  • offer legal advice, start legal proceedings or investigate a crime

IF we reach 100 000 we can ASK for it to be discussed in the British Parliament

That is one if the most disgraceful things I have heard about this case.

Hannah and David please keep trending so someone in your home land will notice you enough to allow a discussion.

Horrendous. Just horrendous. Their deaths not enough ? The ensuing idiocracy not enough

Go back to bed FO. I am ashamed of you all.

• Like 1

WAY TO GO MYANMAR !

No, but one would think they would want justice for their people.

WAY TO GO MYANMAR !

No, but one would think they would want justice for their people.

Of course they do. But they need the Myanmar Govt to get the DNA samples from the accused. UK doesn't have access.