Animal welfare bill seeks to punish cruel pet owners in Thailand

Lite Beer

I can't wait for the Bill to be published. I will place a copy in my neighbour's letter box. Hopefully he will get the hint to start looking after his abused dog that has not been off it's two 1.5 metre chains in the 5 months I've lived in this soi.

My well to do neighbor had a dog that has just died, for the last 2 years it was kept in a 2mx2m ---it had no hair, it's body was full of sores, eyes were yellow matter, it's feet had nails 2 inches long and twisted under it's paws, fed on scraps and fish bones.

I confronted her and said she was cruel to the extreme, she laughed and said it was her dog not mine.

I thank the heavens it died after all it's suffering. Get these laws passed quick.

• Like 2

I can't wait for the Bill to be published. I will place a copy in my neighbour's letter box. Hopefully he will get the hint to start looking after his abused dog that has not been off it's two 1.5 metre chains in the 5 months I've lived in this soi.

My well to do neighbor had a dog that has just died, for the last 2 years it was kept in a 2mx2m ---it had no hair, it's body was full of sores, eyes were yellow matter, it's feet had nails 2 inches long and twisted under it's paws, fed on scraps and fish bones.

I confronted her and said she was cruel to the extreme, she laughed and said it was her dog not mine.

I thank the heavens it died after all it's suffering. Get these laws passed

That is nothing! in regards to your well to do neighbor. Living next to her must make you well to do also? To be honest I like dogs but I do not love them here and I have two only because my wife and son brought them on board. But reality I have never seen them pick up their dogs shit nor have I ever seen my neighbors do it? I understand dogs lovers and their reaction but the majority of the dogs in Thailand are owned by Thais and as long as Thais in general own them. They like to feed them but do not care one way or another in taking care of them. The proof as I noted in Pattaya go to any Soi anywhere in the City see if you can find the owners. In my neighborhood there are now around 100 roaming around all and I say all look sick, face and skin rotten, all the females are having babies and the males are waiting and fighting for the next piece of a--!

I'm not being cruel just thinking and thinking that they all should be put to sleep.. They want to clean house of all these sick dogs call people in Vietnam to pick any dogs roaming around so they can feed the hungry and then have the General put a proclamation that before you can own a dog it must be fixed, register, and pay a fee and have them checked each year like their vehicles, anything to make them take responsibility! and if it works apply that same principle to the men who abandon their kids! This is better than them dying a slow death or being run over on the road by speeding Thai drivers and not to mention how many accidents are cause by these wild dogs running out on the road chasing another. .

The only change I got out of this is, "Under the bill, officials are permitted to search homes or businesses when they receive a complaint about animal cruelty."

So a call is made and "officials" are permitted to break in (if you are not there) and search your home or business, whether or not: A] You indeed have an animal in the house, B] The complainant is not a prankster..., C] ...or paid caller to give the excuse to break in), and so on.

That is the only change.

Regarding the other items, there is absolutely no way to prove an animal is "owned". Most Thais do not bother to follow the rule of the law, and hence when the thumb screws are tightened, they can squeeze through the kilometer wide hole. The dogs they become attached to are not "kept" and their run (the dog's) is the area in and around the soi.

This is nothing more than a ruse to allow the scum in brown to have even more authority to lie and say they received a call, and then they can break in any domicile and nose around.

Make no mistake, this is a search and seizure law, not an animal welfare law. I mean, who really is going to come out to a house because someone called and said a dog is barking, or looks stressed, or malnourished; and do we really need our police force dedicating their time to feral mongrels when someone needs assistance with a human crime? And in most cases, the general scenarios that exist at present do not even fit the description of this bill.

Moreover, in extreme cases in the past, the police never had a problem with arresting a person for cruelty, so what makes this bill different than the past? Answer: One thing - now they can bust in your door and nose around for the price of one phone call.

Just my take on this sham.

Do you truly believe that if a case of suspected animal cruelty is reported, that the police will show enough interest to actually come out and investigate?

Nothing will change and again just another law to file under the hot air blowing in the wind category.

thais give more about their pet than about migrants from myanmar or just any other country that is not thailand

Totally irrelevant to the theme of this thread. But I suppose it makes you feel better getting that one in.

BTW. do you have a Caps Lock or Shift key on your keyboard?

That is nothing! in regards to your well to do neighbor. Living next to her must make you well to do also? To be honest I like dogs but I do not love them here and I have two only because my wife and son brought them on board. But reality I have never seen them pick up their dogs shit nor have I ever seen my neighbors do it? I understand dogs lovers and their reaction but the majority of the dogs in Thailand are owned by Thais and as long as Thais in general own them. They like to feed them but do not care one way or another in taking care of them. The proof as I noted in Pattaya go to any Soi anywhere in the City see if you can find the owners. In my neighborhood there are now around 100 roaming around all and I say all look sick, face and skin rotten, all the females are having babies and the males are waiting and fighting for the next piece of a--!

I'm not being cruel just thinking and thinking that they all should be put to sleep.. They want to clean house of all these sick dogs call people in Vietnam to pick any dogs roaming around so they can feed the hungry and then have the General put a proclamation that before you can own a dog it must be fixed, register, and pay a fee and have them checked each year like their vehicles, anything to make them take responsibility! and if it works apply that same principle to the men who abandon their kids! This is better than them dying a slow death or being run over on the road by speeding Thai drivers and not to mention how many accidents are cause by these wild dogs running out on the road chasing another. .

For all of your post, some I agree with some not.

BUT why the crazy comment about me" being well to do" why would I be this because my cruel neighbor is ?????

it is not relevant ---no need.

thais give more about their pet than about migrants from myanmar or just any other country that is not thailand

Totally irrelevant to the theme of this thread. But I suppose it makes you feel better getting that one in.

BTW. do you have a Caps Lock or Shift key on your keyboard?

Sometimes it is fine, and understood. Much on the internet is LOWER CASE.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

As commendable as animal welfare is.....

I would have thought that with only twelve months before an election

That there must be many more pressing matters that the government need to look at

What has elections got to do with animal cruelty?? and , yes there are OTHER matters. This is urgently needed, Don't you care for animals ??

Your first few words seem to think so THEN ????

I thought my comment was clear

If there is no adequate law at present to cover animal cruelty then it has been an urgent need for decades

IMO

The government time would be better spent debating topics like:

How do we avoid having corrupt politicians?

How do we ensure fair elections?

What changes are needed to the constitution?

How do we prevent politicians changing laws to suit themselves?

How do we make the populace better educated?

There must be many more relevant issues ,

The animal welfare bill could be put into a bucket list for the next government to consider.

For all of your post, some I agree with some not.

BUT why the crazy comment about me" being well to do" why would I be this because my cruel neighbor is ?????

it is not relevant ---no need.

Yea you are right somewhat crazy, but it is relevant? Just to show you whatever your class in life there are people in each that should not own dogs like your neighbor and as in your case one can see you care.

• 1 month later...