Travel Insurance Blackspots In Thailand - Samui Archipelego affected ?

ukrules

Does anyone have any information as to whether there are any 'insurance blackspots' where normal travel insurance doesn't provide cover ?

Some relatives of mine are coming to Thailand and may do some traveling around the place a bit while here.

I noticed that the British FCO warnings and advice talk of specific places which most tourists don't tend to visit - places down south like Pattani, Yala, Narathiwat and Songkhla. These are the places where they see death and destruction on a daily basis, so much so that it's become quite normal these days.

However the British government have recently issued further warnings relating to 'The Samui Archipelago' which I'm assuming is just a sub section of the collection of islands known as the 'Chumphon Archipelago'.

I wonder if these warnings affect travel insurance policies ?

Could anyone clarify on this ? Is a regular travel insurance policy valid when travelling into these lawless 'rebel infested' areas like Pattini and the other places mentioned above ?

Thailand is still under martial law. While they can still buy the policy, it's best that they check to see if the coverage extends to areas under martial law, or to riding motorbikes and jetskis.

I do remember reading something about tourists would be able to buy travel insurance once they arrive in Thailand, but the coverage amount was low, and it seems to have dropped off the radar.

• Like 1

Here's a link to the insurance policy offered by Thailand:

http://www.tourismthailand.org/ThailandTravelShield/

Also be aware most policies don't cover scooter accidents. I've used these guys several times, they are quite good:

http://www.worldnomads.com/

I now use these guys as they have several offices here in Thailand:

http://www.aainsure.net/

• Like 1

Thanks for those links, I'll be sure to keep up to date as my mother doesn't arrive for another 7 or 8 weeks. Worldnomads isn't cheap - about £120 for 2 months just in Thailand !

I noticed that the FCO updated their warnings again today, here's a quote and a link :

Before travelling to Thailand check with your insurance provider that they will continue to cover for claims arising from the current political situation. Some travel insurance policies exclude cover following a military coup or the imposition of martial law, and your insurance may be invalid.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand

Some people might think I'm being over paranoid on this issue but it's very important to make sure there's no small print invalidating your cover, nobody will tell you until you attempt to make a claim and by that stage you're already in trouble !

excluded are:

if you visit any floors in buildings higher than 3. floor (too many foreigner fall down in thailand from high floors)

if you wear a bikini in thailand ( high chance to get rapped and/or killed)

if you discuss with a Thai person (may be you got shot or stabbed)

Thailand is still under martial law. While they can still buy the policy, it's best that they check to see if the coverage extends to areas under martial law, or to riding motorbikes and jetskis.

I do remember reading something about tourists would be able to buy travel insurance once they arrive in Thailand, but the coverage amount was low, and it seems to have dropped off the radar.

Yes this is a very correct post. Read the fine print for the exclusions as coups and martial law is usually non starter as far as signing on for any kind of travel insurances. You will find it in the act of god exclusions section.

In a lot of cases it depends on your policy wording,

for instance mine doesn't cover me if I am in any "Extreme Risk" destinations, and I need to declare and get preapproved cover for any high risk locations.

As I'm a kiwi citizen my travel / international insurance cover bases these from https://www.safetravel.govt.nz/south-east-asia for example, however most insurances will have similar.

Edited by johnnyj

Please do also be aware that many policies are invalidated if you have consumed alcohol; note 'consumed', nobody is talking being 'drunk'.

And as for tourism to the island of Koh Tao, surely tourists should be boycotting that place until the police and Thai authorities sort out this farce of a murder enquiry - nothing else but hitting their pockets where it hurts will have any effect.

You make a good point about the alcohol thing, I've read of cases where someone has a detectable amount of alcohol in their blood and the treatment is refused.

However, this is Thailand. Do you think something like a little bit of alcohol will prevent them from keeping you in the ICU for a few weeks building up millions of Baht's worth of bills ?

The wording on travel insurance policies will usually be something like this:

“We will not pay under any circumstances if…Your claim arises from any act of war, whether war is declared or not or from any rebellion, revolution, insurrection or taking of power by the military”.

Example, you would be covered for medical expenses arising from a heart attack under normal circumstances but most likely not covered if said heart attack took place whilst running away from a demonstration about the coup.

Many similar grey areas apply and you can bet the underwriters will be scrutinising claims carefully. There are no travel advisories against travel to the "Samui Archipelago"

I would always request an acknowledgement in writing that the policy you are purchasing does not exclude travel to Thailand.