Can my debt (USA) affect my non-immigrant VISA application?

Let's think together.

On the application form (have you even opened it ?), do you see a space to place SSN and credit check consent ?

Edit: I may have been just trolled.

Edited by paz

Let's think together.

On the application form (have you even opened it ?), do you see a space to place SSN and credit check consent ?

Let's think together buddy..

here's the link to the application: http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/pdf/visa_application.pdf

Do you see the word "credit" or even "check" anywhere on the application? Let alone SSN?

Edit: didn't think so troll

Edited by subiewrx

Let's think together.

here's the link to the application: http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/pdf/visa_application.pdf

Do you see the word "credit" or even "check" anywhere on the application? Let alone

I think that was his point.

The only way they are going to know about your debt(s) is if it has gone to court and you have a default judgement as a matter of public record.

One consideration, I am assuming you are mid-30's or younger since you are a Suby fan ;-)

Think hard if you are moving here to escape debt. This place "chews em up and spits em out" often and you may find yourself wanting to return stateside only to find the debts you allowed to become delinquent are a much bigger headache in the future than now. Especially if its student loan debt. Just a thought.

Cheers

Edited by ClutchClark
  • Like 1

Let's think together.

Do you see the word "credit" or even "check" anywhere on the application? Let alone

The only way they are going to know about your debt(s) is if it has gone to court and you have a default judgement as a matter of public record.

One consideration, I am assuming you are mid-30's or younger since you are a Suby fan ;-)

Think hard if you are moving here to escape debt. This place "chews em up and spits em out" often and you may find yourself wanting to return stateside only to find the debts you allowed to become delinquent are a much bigger headache in the future than now. Especially if its student loan debt. Just a thought.

Cheers

Thank you for the response!

My mom collapsed due to high-blood pressure and almost had an aneurysm, so they had to run all sort's of tests, bottom-line is her medical bill came out to $30,000USD. She is no longer able to run her dry cleaner business (she is trying to sell it), and I still have over $80,000 in student loans.

I have/had really good credit, so I was able to apply for 3 credit cards on top of the 2 I had. So I basically have over $30,000 in credit card debt, on top of my student loans. My uncle (mom's brother) has lived in Thailand for over 20 years, and I have visited Thailand in the past.

Do you know if this instance would goto court? I'm not very familiar with default judgements and "public record", could you elaborate?

Thank you, again.

Let's think together.

Cheers

My mom collapsed due to high-blood pressure and almost had an aneurysm, so they had to run all sort's of tests, bottom-line is her medical bill came out to $30,000USD. She is no longer able to run her dry cleaner business (she is trying to sell it), and I still have over $80,000 in student loans.

I have/had really good credit, so I was able to apply for 3 credit cards on top of the 2 I had. So I basically have over $30,000 in credit card debt, on top of my student loans. My uncle (mom's brother) has lived in Thailand for over 20 years, and I have visited Thailand in the past.

Do you know if this instance would goto court? I'm not very familiar with default judgements and "public record", could you elaborate?

Thank you, again.

Thats a very tough spot you are in. Its got to feel pretty overwhelming.

Your mom's hospital debt should be her own unless you co-signed for it. Medical debt is a true crisis for Americans right now and one of the best types of debt to have since there are very lenient terms on structuring a repayment plan and also the impact outstanding medical bills can have on ones credit rating.

Hoepfully your mom can get assistance from an attorney to work out a repayment plan that can be even $100/month or less. She just has to show she is making efforts to pay and if she is currently disabled then that helps to support her minimal payment. She should not disclose the sale of the business unless the hospital discovers it. They will quite likely attempt to have her sign something to the effect that she will make a large balloon payment upon receipt of sale.

Also, hospitals seriously inflate costs when a patient has no insurance. A $30K medical bill should be able to be negotiated down to $20K. This is very much true if she does promise to make a lump sum payment. At no time should she agree to any repayment plan for the entire amount of $30,000.

Continued later

Even if the OP has a lien, public record, bankrupt, garnishment, criminal record, leaking intercooler, he could still enter Thailand.

However I see no basis why he should receive a non-immigrant visa, except if he was to enroll in school there.

Now a debated will ensue on what is right and how US debt works, but noticeably that has nothing to do with entering Thailand.

Edited by paz

Even if the OP has a lien, public record, bankrupt, garnishment, criminal record, leaking intercooler, he could still enter Thailand.

However I see no basis why he should receive a non-immigrant visa, except if he was to enroll in school there.

Now a debated will ensue on what is right and how US debt works, but noticeably that has nothing to do with entering Thailand.

Paz,

Thanks for responding to the OP's actual concern.

I was off track.

Let's think together.

I would say do it the old fashioned way, work and pay your debt and stop trying to run away from the debt. Be responsible.

Cheers

Thank you, again.

Let's think together.

Cheers

Very good advise. BTW how is the person planning to pay his bills in Thailand?

• Like 1

Oh well thank God for the British NHS.

I don't quite understand what you are planning to do? Do a runner and try to default on all your debts?

What on earth are you going to do in Thailand, it's a good place to live for Expats on an excellent package or wealthy retirees.

How are you going to support yourself and even obtain the correct visa for a long term stay?

Sounds better to use your expensive education at home or somewhere else in the world to sort out your debts and start building a career- then you can look forward to spending time here in paradise ( joke)

I suggest that you stay in the US and use whatever income you can earn to sort out your financial affairs rather that visiting Thailand and spendind more money that you can ill-afford. If you already have the cash to pay for a flight, accommodation, expenses etc then use it to start paying your debts

Let's think together.

Cheers

He is almost definitely a troll.

But with five credit cards he could run up a bit more debt.

"But with five credit cards he could run up a bit more debt."

Until the delinquencies accrue and his cards are blocked. As someone else implied, better he stay in the US and deal with it. If he finds himself here cut off from funds, on overstay and living on the street, that will be an unpleasant situation. And, if he manages to scrape together airfare home, that unattended debt could make things even less pleasant ... quite aside from the dubious ethics of leaving his ill mother to be hounded by debt collectors.

He can't realistically escape the problem. At best he might postpone dealing with it, but it'll only get worse in the meantime. Delinquent CC debt can suddenly jump to circa 20% or more per annum interest rates.

And unless I missed it, he didn't explain on what basis he expected to get a non-imm O and/or get an extension of stay when that expired.

Student loan is Government if they decide to revoke your passport your screwed.

Student loans MAY be government guaranteed, but some loans are strictly privately sourced.

Edited by Suradit69

In most countries, including Thailand, debt is just a civil matter. It is none of immigration's concern, especially any civil matter in foreign country. An exception is if and when your debt becomes the criminal offenses, usually state or/and federal tax related issues, they mark you in database to prevent you from skipping country.

If any of these debts are U.S. gov't debts -- like maybe the student loan debt -- the OP could find his passport is revoked. May not know it until he goes to apply for a new one. This happens all the time to U.S. citizens here with outstanding court judgments for back child support, taxes and other debts where a gov't agency takes an interest.

In these cases the Embassy/Consulate won't issue a new passport -- just an emergency travel document that's good for a one-way trip back to the U.S.

If your student loan debts are to the government or to a government backed entity, you may find that walking away from them may eventually catch up with you in the form of confiscating or not renewing your passport in the future. The IRS has the ability to cancel U.S. passports in the event of tax debts. Your passport may be the area where they can exert the most leverage over you. I am speculating here, but this is an area of information I would pursue if I were in your position. Good luck!

....settling up student debt...return to US and contact your Senator and Congressman where you lived when you racked up the debt. Willing to consult to a debt consolidation and repayment program is not as hard as it sounds. Check into various government programs whereby your employment can pare down your debt. It is doable. Running away will just compound your problems. Going to wait out the crash in Thailand?I would not bet on such.

Look into military programs as well. I have a buddy who had about USD $500,000 in student debt (medical - dental school).

He joined the Military Reserves and THEY pay off his student note.

Of course, he is all vaccinated and is in Monrovia, Liberia as I type this, on the forefront of the ebola front there.

By repaying your student debt, you will learn a valuable lesson to stay out of such troubled waters. Investing in Thailand has many similarities: to bring your money INTO Thailand, or to go into debt is akin to a 6 lane super-highway. Trying to get your money OUT is a goat trail.

I suggest that you stay in the US and use whatever income you can earn to sort out your financial affairs rather that visiting Thailand and spendind more money that you can ill-afford. If you already have the cash to pay for a flight, accommodation, expenses etc then use it to start paying your debts

I've been to Thailand several times and I can speak/read/write basic Thai. My uncle has lived there for 20 years and speaks fluent Thai, people think he's Thai unless he tells them. I am of Korean descent, but was born and raised in California. So assuming that I know nothing about Thailand and will spend more money than I can "ill-afford" would be a false assumption. I actually have a free flight from running over $30,000 on my credit cards. I figure I can teach English when I'm there (until I get a website I'm working on, up and running), East-Asians that can speak fluent English got it good over there, especially with Korean culture being so popular in Thailand, I am usually well-liked by majority of the Thai people I meet.

If your student loan debts are to the government or to a government backed entity, you may find that walking away from them may eventually catch up with you in the form of confiscating or not renewing your passport in the future. The IRS has the ability to cancel U.S. passports in the event of tax debts. Your passport may be the area where they can exert the most leverage over you. I am speculating here, but this is an area of information I would pursue if I were in your position. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice.

"But with five credit cards he could run up a bit more debt."

Until the delinquencies accrue and his cards are blocked. As someone else implied, better he stay in the US and deal with it. If he finds himself here cut off from funds, on overstay and living on the street, that will be an unpleasant situation. And, if he manages to scrape together airfare home, that unattended debt could make things even less pleasant ... quite aside from the dubious ethics of leaving his ill mother to be hounded by debt collectors.

He can't realistically escape the problem. At best he might postpone dealing with it, but it'll only get worse in the meantime. Delinquent CC debt can suddenly jump to circa 20% or more per annum interest rates.

And unless I missed it, he didn't explain on what basis he expected to get a non-imm O and/or get an extension of stay when that expired.

Student loan is Government if they decide to revoke your passport your screwed.

Student loans MAY be government guaranteed, but some loans are strictly privately sourced.

My mom is coming WITH me, once she sells her dry-cleaner, my uncle (her brother) has lived in Thailand for over 20 years.

I'm planning to get a ED non-immigrant VISA. I will just have to get accepted to an international university over there, which is extremely easy and cheap.

How am I a troll?

I maxed my credit cards to pay my mom's medical bill... L2read before you respond.

Thank you!... this is literally the only post that is necessary here.

Cheers

Teach English, I'm also skilled in programming and webdesign (that's what I majored in.) So, I figure I can teach English, until I can do something to monetize a website (or what have you) on the internet. Or I can work as a webdesigner/programmer for a company.