Thai taxi drivers who reject passengers are susceptible to face legal action

webfact

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

have tried to get a taxi many times at Klom Thom but they refuse saying the traffic is too bad

will be taking the iphone and filming it from now on

Don't forget the poor fellow who got killed a couple of years ago for arguing with a taxi driver. Probably best to move on to the next taxi...You never know when you'll run into one who's had just one too many yaba pills.

have tried to get a taxi many times at Klom Thom but they refuse saying the traffic is too bad

I also get p...ed off when I need a taxi and they all refuse, but sometimes I have to think their side too.

Life is getting expensive in Bangkok, expenses are high, think about being clogged in the traffic for 1-2 hours or worse (i still remember 7-8 years ago 6 HOURS in taxi for 180 baht, i had pity of that guy and gave him 300 ) for 3-4 euros, even if he profits 2 euros discounting the gas, how can he survive by profiting 1 euro a hour ? Bangkok in 2014 is not Bangkok in 1990.

My suggestion is not to rise the fare per kilometer, but to rise the fare according to the time too (a balance bewteen the two) so taxi drivers will not have the excuse of traffic anymore . Than the law can be harsh if they still refuse to take you.

I also get p...ed off when I need a taxi and they all refuse, but sometimes I have to think their side too.

Life is getting expensive in Bangkok, expenses are high, think about being clogged in the traffic for 1-2 hours or worse (i still remember 7-8 years ago 6 HOURS in taxi for 180 baht, i had pity of that guy and gave him 300 ) for 3-4 euros, even if he profits 2 euros discounting the gas, how can he survive by profiting 1 euro a hour ? Bangkok in 2014 is not Bangkok in 1990.

My suggestion is not to rise the fare per kilometer, but to rise the fare according to the time too (a balance bewteen the two) so taxi drivers will not have the excuse of traffic anymore . Than the law can be harsh if they still refuse to take you.

Why are they driving a taxi in Bangkok if they don't like traffic? Got it?

Lately I've taken to waving them on.

If there are a few options driving by, I flag them down from a distance, (because I can't see the condition of the car or driver), and if the car is filthy or old or in poor condition, I simply wave them on in exactly the way they do to us.

When a new taxi comes along, I just take that one.

Certainly not foolproof but quite satisfying, and there is a method to my madness - older taxis are more likely to be a less pleasant ride.

• Like 1

never had problem with taxi in bangkok, lived in huai kwang area a year ago took taxi everyday, it happened occasionally that they refused to run, but has never happened that they have refused to use the taxi meter

Sorry, but I do not believe you. Or anyone else for that matter who claims to have never had a taxi refuse to turn on their meter in Bangkok.

• Like 2

Last Thursday 4 taxis refused the journey from Pathumthani to Ekkemai. 1 said no enough fuel shift ending, 2 said didn't know the way, 1 just drove off without a word. A 5th offered to take me to Mo Chit! I live a minute from the expressway.

Finally Mrs. BB took me as she needed the car for later. Several times since then I've used the car as its so much easier.

Time the laws were enforced, not just a now and then crackdown announcement.

Best ride I ever had was from Ratchada Robinsons to Don Mueang on a Friday night. Flight arrived aT 21:00. I went down for a taxi at 19:30, and waited, and waited, and waited.... until at 20:30.... driver was some sergeant or more in RTA Engineers moonlighting for his "brother"... he could have been a substitute for Jack Brabham or Michael Schumacher... cut through the traffic and arrived 20:54!!!!!

I would do it all again for the 100 baht tip I threw in over the meter!!

... but I know that it is a one off... and not everyone has my command of Thai and wicked twinkle in corner of his eye!!!

We were picked up by one on Wednesday who, given the destination, came up with the wonderful excuse that he had a customer to collect in Asoke. It would have been something had he come up with some sort of half-intelligent, rather than half-baked, explanation. My wife called the appropriate number, though whether that has resulted in any kind of penalty, who knows?

But membership of an association which requires proper conduct, and which entitles a driver to display a sign indicating such membership, would go some way towards addressing the issue, not least because it would leave non-members exposed and allow the customer to be selective, not the driver.

It's not a new idea. In fact has been in force a long time. No one will follow it up.

I don't blame the taxi drivers as the meter system can't work at all times of day. They are always polite to me and when I say use the highway I will pay the tariff they do with a smile (quicker too)

So, we all should just be criminals because life is tough?

Any changes will be manipulated by the drivers to steal your money.

We were picked up by one on Wednesday who, given the destination, came up with the wonderful excuse that he had a customer to collect in Asoke. It would have been something had he come up with some sort of half-intelligent, rather than half-baked, explanation. My wife called the appropriate number, though whether that has resulted in any kind of penalty, who knows?

But membership of an association which requires proper conduct, and which entitles a driver to display a sign indicating such membership, would go some way towards addressing the issue, not least because it would leave non-members exposed and allow the customer to be selective, not the driver.

If you complained to the 1584 number then you would probably get a text update with the outcome of your complaint.

This is what happened with me for a driver in Sukhumvit Soi 11 who not only refused me but drove away with me still leaning into the cab holding my baby. The driver lost his license. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/722829-do-your-part-report-taxi-drivers-who-refuse-you/page-5#entry7851458

First not doing anything and than arrest?

From one extreme to the other extreme.....

Promote the good Pol. Sub. Lt Meewichai and make him head of the Taxi Task Force (TTF) or Taxi Special Investigation (TSI)....

lol I just use app in my phone cost extra 20 baht when picked up but drivers who use this service are great never an issue always polite oh yes and are screened before hand. And I tip when I get good service. Oh another thing about app you can see where your cab is coming from and where it is at present with ETA.

Edited by Strangebrew

I use GrabCar (the limo service of GrabTaxi) every day to go to work. Spotless Camry with liveried driver waiting out the front for me to step into; using it again shortly for airport ride and booked for pick up on return. GrabTaxi quite good (but not nearly as); Uber good, too, and UberX (cheaper than taxi rater) just started. Very rarely flag a cab these days.

Beware of filming. I was beaten up on a pavement 2 yrs ago with hundreds of people walking by when I photographed a driver's ID after he'd refused my fare (and at least one other before me) . No one helped, and I speak Thai.

Are you saying you were beaten up by one Thai? One Thai up against one person???? No, I don't believe you.

lol I just use app in my phone cost extra 20 baht when picked up but drivers who use this service are great never an issue always polite oh yes and are screened before hand. And I tip when I get good service.

I'm guessing you mean "EasyTaxi", right? We got one from Bumrundgrad today because the hospital has now stopped using regular taxis for departing visitors and only use EasyTaxi cabs. Every cab I saw looked very clean and had seat belts in the back. I downloaded the app because I was impressed with our cab but I much prefer the GrabTaxi app so I will continue using it.

I have noticed a decline in the quality of GrabTaxi cabs recently though, is it just me? The last two they sent me had no seatbelts and were just regular beat up cars and not cleaned, one took us to the airport and sped the entire way (120km/h in 40 and 60 limits) and he talked on his phone while doing so.

Good luck on that one, I hope you have good medical insurance.

Why would he need good medical insurance??

You think a taxi driver wants to add violent assault to his list of charges, and end up with his license removed totally and probably a spell in prison??

People like you make me laugh.

Everything is going to end up in violence in Thailand according to folks like you..... But these incidents are very few, they are not typical.

I think taxi drivers should have the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason except for, perhaps, a medical emergency. Isn't this a free enterprise situation?

Of course I've been refused and flat-rated many times attempting to go from lower Sukhumvit to Din Daeng and in other situations. It still doesn't change my position on this. Anyway, I circumvent most of the Bangkok transportation infrastructure (such as it is) most of the time by cycling. I also circumvent the traffic jams. I also resort to the bus torture chambers on occasion when I lived in Din Daeng.

Edited by MaxYakov

I'm really surprised and appalled. I'm actually a Thai native who speaks basic Thai.

I never, ever had a problem severe as it is depicted here. I had one, who just said he was heading home- that's all. Next taxi, please!

Driving from West Bangkok to MBK? Hmm, 3 out of 4 would say no, due to traffic. I can understand that and I don't want to be stuck in that endless traffic! Ok, it's a long trip, understandable. Nevertheless I found a much better alternative by now and that is using the BTS...

I had a taxi driver who had no clue about nothing and not even some adequate exchange money, what a sleezeball! Other then that I really had no big occurrence with any taxis so far. I never got dropped out, or had to call someone. Maybe looking Asian-Thai does make a difference??

The best solution is to walk a bit out of these "lazy taxi hotspots". That's all! You can also pre-organise and call a taxi or car service before you leave.

• Like 2

Question, dear RTP Chief. What are the measures? Or is this another round of RTP hot air?

Two, I'm sure the Suk-11 taxi-morons's refusal to take passengers are well documented. So, 'several cases in tourism areas' is a bit of an understatement, and then some. So, the 'dispatched several coppers to investigate' line doesn't fly anymore. Get in there and solve the problem. Quite faffing about. Or stop talking.

Soi 11 taxi sharks have to be the worst in the city. Soi 11 is sure a good place to start.

• Like 1

They only refused me in the tourist area's, not outside. One day i took a taxi with my wife and he refused to turn the metre on. My wife told him to turn it on but then he started racing like total crazy. He tried to scare us and hoped we would jump out. Later when we were halfway he told us to go out which we did without paying him. My wife made a picture of the car and him and then he made movement like beheading her.

The other day i saw a Thai customer fighting with the taxidriver. They still sat in the taxi and the customer fumed the driver right in his face and hit him a few times. The driver was very scared and didn't move at all. Then the guy almost broke the door off the car and smashed it full power before leaving. The driver still didn't move.

Best ride I ever had was from Ratchada Robinsons to Don Mueang on a Friday night. Flight arrived aT 21:00. I went down for a taxi at 19:30, and waited, and waited, and waited.... until at 20:30.... driver was some sergeant or more in RTA Engineers moonlighting for his "brother"... he could have been a substitute for Jack Brabham or Michael Schumacher... cut through the traffic and arrived 20:54!!!!!

I would do it all again for the 100 baht tip I threw in over the meter!!

... but I know that it is a one off... and not everyone has my command of Thai and wicked twinkle in corner of his eye!!!

Without traffic the distance is like 15-20 minutes - with traffic ~ 35 mins whistling.gif

Good luck on that one, I hope you have good medical insurance.

Agree with Boris on that; however if you do it, do it in a very public area. Many of them keep toys under their front seats.

Good luck on that one, I hope you have good medical (AND LIFE) insurance.

Really. Who would go to this considerable trouble and risk for something that will never change?

This happens all over the world. I live in BKK and this problem is so rare, I do not care.

My Thai is fair at best, I simply avoid those few hot spots where taxis are TRAINED by stupid Foreigners to EXPECT 200 THB for a 40 THB fare.

TRAINED. The driver s are being perfectly logical and business smart. Turn down 5 fares for 40, when you can do one for 200? Sounds damn smart to me!

If we want to yell at someone, grab those idiot tourists by the scruff and let them know "We live here ... F U for supporting this and forking over 10 times the going rate!"

I once saw a girl get out of a Tuk Tuk and hand the driver 500 THB. Trying to help, I said "Excuse me, that was a 500, not a 50"

She said, "No worries, it was a 500 ride"

So ... remind me .. who is the idiot in this story?

I was like ,,, "did he just drive you from Vientiane ????

You were.

regardless if you think you are right because you live here with your Thainess - face the reality...tourism is a big money spinner. If the young lady was happy paying 500 baht or 10 quid or so...she was happy so was the taxi driver. End of story.

The other comments about "tear up their license etc" get real people. My brother in law will drive a taxi in Bangkok from time to time to supplement his income. Tear up his taxi license..haha he hasn't got one. Take all the photo's you want...won't bother him one bit - he would even smile for the camera. and do it again the next weekend. You aren't in the west anymore.

I have been in Thailand on holidays for 17 days so far. I have had three car type taxi drivers that have demanded money rather than putting on the meter and one that wouldn't take me as my trip wasn't that long. One putt putt driver that ripped me off, so I found it is best to walk if it's not too far. There cons cost them money.

I'm really surprised and appalled. I'm actually a Thai native who speaks basic Thai.

I never, ever had a problem severe as it is depicted here. I had one, who just said he was heading home- that's all. Next taxi, please!

Driving from West Bangkok to MBK? Hmm, 3 out of 4 would say no, due to traffic. I can understand that and I don't want to be stuck in that endless traffic! Ok, it's a long trip, understandable. Nevertheless I found a much better alternative by now and that is using the BTS...

I had a taxi driver who had no clue about nothing and not even some adequate exchange money, what a sleezeball! Other then that I really had no big occurrence with any taxis so far. I never got dropped out, or had to call someone. Maybe looking Asian-Thai does make a difference??

The best solution is to walk a bit out of these "lazy taxi hotspots". That's all! You can also pre-organise and call a taxi or car service before you leave.

You lost me there...a Native Thai who speaks basic Thai? Doesn't make sense. Maybe a Thai national who grew up overseas with another language as his mother tongue but can speak basic Thai?

I'm a German citizen, grew up in Europe my entire life basically. You got me wrong- I do speak basic Thai. I've mentioned it clearly.

But you just stated " I'm really surprised and appalled. I'm actually a Thai native who speaks basic Thai. "... Uh nevermind blink.png