Retirement Visa- First Application in Australia

Hi all,

Trying to navigate the bureaucratic maze--

Documents required
Documents required are 3 sets [ONE ORIGINAL SET and 2 PHOTOCOPY SETS]
ALL SETS must be BINDING and NOTORIZED BY NOTORY PUBLIC if add on notorail certificate please do it on back page only (JP ­Justice of Peace not accepted) } Required documents EACH SET to be combined with: (APPLICATION FORM A must be the first page of each set)
A passport with validity not less than 18 months
A set of original documents consisting of the following:
A completed and signed visa application FORM A with one photo (3.5x4.5 cm.) taken within last 6 months without wearing glasses or headgear (photocopy not accepted) attached to the application
A copy of passport personal detail page
A completed Personal Data Form;
A copy of a bank statement showing a deposit at the amount equal to no less than 800,000 Baht, or an income statement (an original copy) with a monthly salary of no less than 65,000.00 Baht, or a deposit account plus monthly income of no less than 800,000 Baht a year;
A letter from a bank or financial institution (an original copy) confirming sufficient funds;
A police name check certificate issued no longer than 3 months prior to submitting the application; A medical certificate indicating that the applicant has no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535) issued no longer than 3 months prior to submitting the application;
Important note:
1. When you have prepared all the original documents as required above,you must then make 2copies
of each document. (Photos and signatures must not be photocopied)
2. After you have made copies of all the documents,you must separate the documents into 3 sets.
Within these sets, arrange the documents in the order given above. All together you will have 1 set of
the original documents and 2 sets of copies of the original documents.
3. After the 3 sets of documents have been prepared,you must then take them to a Notary Public to
bind and notarized each set of documents (the documents must only be binded by the Notary Public).
Visa application processing fee
The visa application processing fee is AUD$ 225
Validity of visa
The validity of visa is 12 months with multiple entries.
Validity of stay
Upon arrival, you will be allowed to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 12 months.
**However, the period of stay granted is at the discretion of the immigration officer.** (WHAT???)
* [bINDING and NOTORIZED BY NOTORY PUBLIC if add on notorail] should read "BOUND and NOTARISED BY NOTARY PUBLIC; if a Notarial Certificate...."
The financial requirements are OK but need both UK and Australian Pensions and bank statements, plus (I assume) Certified Pension details. Painful.
​Some commenters say that I then have to leave and re-enter every 90 days- surely NOT? Perhaps I have to report to immigration/police every 90 days? Do I have to have a return ticket on this visa and if so, does it have to be to country of origin?
Does anyone know if taking the papers to an Embassy or Consulate expedites the process?
Looking ahead, is 'normal' procedure to renew every year? And does this mean going thru the torture each time??
Edited by ubonjoe
Changed to default font

1. You are applying for an O/A visa which is a pre-approved visa that allows you to get 1 year permission to stay every time that you enter. If used correctly you can get two years by exiting/reentering Thailand on the day it expires. You do not have to exit Thailand every 90 days, you only have to report your address to immigration if you spend 90 consecutive days in Thailand As everybody does. Most offices will allow you to do it by mail.

2. You do not have to have a return ticket.

3. By taking the paperwork to the Embassy in person they will review it then and there and you will immediately nknow what additional is required.

4. For this type of visa you do not have to have any funds transferred to a bank in Thailand. However, at the end of your last permission to stay up to two years, you can apply for a 1 year extension. At that time you either have to have 800k in a Thai bank in your name only or proof of 65k/month income or a combination of both(800k and 65k now, no telling what it will be in two years). You will not need another medical or police check and all of the binding, multiple copies and notarization BS goes away.

As stated above, you could have probably located all of the above info if you had "searched the forum". But after wading through all of the BS you most likely would have decided to retire in East Podunk, Alaska!

• Like 1

I agree, the overabundance of BS and the continuous repetition makes hard to for people to the get answers they need.

Would need authoritative, concise and effective, locked postings to work as a guide for at least the most common cases.

Then just pointing at them would not make one look rude or dismissive, and prevent further noise to be generated.

"Then just pointing at them would not make one look rude or dismissive, and prevent further noise to be generated."

That would sure make it easy for the "want to Be's" that want to up their post count. They would only have to point to an existing answer. I can see it now, 1 post asking a question with 18 answers all with the same link!

OP where did you copy those requirements from....Sydney consulate??.

In Canberra as Paz link pointed out you can use a JP. Also they are free.

At Canberra they require 3 copies and the originals. Anyway all this info is available on TV.

My op on this topic was specifically about "bound".

Everything about reporting etc is covered already and available.

You can only apply for the OA visa at the embassy or the consulate in Sydney. The other consulates are honorary consulates and cannot accept the application.

The OA visa will give multiple one year entries for a year from its date of issue. You can do an entry just before your visa expires and get a one year entry giving you almost 2 years of stay. After you visa expires you will need to get a re-entry permit that will keep the permit to stay from your last entry valid if you want to travel.

You will need to make reports of staying longer than 90 days in the country to immigration.

After last entry from the OA expires you can either apply for an extension of stay at immigration or return to Oz and apply for a new OA visa.

Since you will a visa a return or onward ticket is not needed.

Leaving the country every 90 days is only if you have a multiple entry non-o visa. The confusion comes from people calling it a retirement visa which does not truly exist.

Thanks to all!

One thing leant is that a JP can witness the application; even though the data I posted states JP is NOT acceptable.

This is why I posted all that 'bumpf', to show how one can be misled, either by the rules or by well-meaning replies...

You can only apply for the OA visa at the embassy or the consulate in Sydney. The other consulates are honorary consulates and cannot accept the application.

Apparently the main Thai embassy is CANBERRA. I think all applications go thru there?

Good news about the return ticket- that is not made clear in the application documents...

Edited by JIMJFOX
  • Like 1

You can apply at Sydney and they will accept your application, approve it and put the visa in your passport. Their requirements are here by clicking retirement visa. http://www.thaiconsulatesydney.org/english/visa#country/a/australia

They have the same authority as Canberra.

The others cannot even accept you application.

OP, the easiest way is as follows. Assuming you want to live in LoS, by obtaining an annual extension, on the basis of retirement, of a non-B visa:

1/. Easiest to communicate by correspondence with Brisbane consulate.

2/. Fill out application for visa form TM87 requesting single enrtry/90 day nonO-B reason being 'retirement'.

3/. Send proof of income eg. original of term deposit > $100k, pension statement.

4/. 2 x passport-type photos + your passport.

5/. $90 postal order, return prepaid envelope.

The consulate will approve/disapprove your application within 48hr, returning your passport with a visa which must be activated (ie. you must enter Thailand) within 90 days.

On entering Thailand, you will be given 90 days stay. During that time, you wanna open a bank account and deposit 800,000+ baht. You can apply for an annual extension of stay, on the basis of retirement, once you have had a bank balance of 800,000+ baht for 60 days.

Anyway this was the course I followed commencing May this year. No health certificates, no JP signatures required.

If you really want a nonO multi-entry ($220), then you have to exit the country every 90 days - lotza mucking around.

You can follow other threads here re. getting your extension on the basis bank balance + income statement from Australian Embassy, re-entry permits etc...

Cheers, AA

Umm not sure about this.....Paz and Ubonjoe are always correct on visa matters however......on the Sydney Thai consulate website where the "form A " ...it states CERTIFIED BY JP NOT ACCEPTED....

I have an email from Canberra embassy that states two things. First I do not require the pages to be bound and secondly...CAN BE CERTIFIED BY JP.

Thing is in Melbourne.....what they do is not reflected in their own official website.

Would not surprise me if a member posts that he obtained O-A through Sydney using JP .

Brisbane like Melb do not do O-A.

Umm not sure about this.....Paz and Ubonjoe are always correct on visa matters however......on the Sydney Thai consulate website where the "form A " ...it states CERTIFIED BY JP NOT ACCEPTED....

I have an email from Canberra embassy that states two things. First I do not require the pages to be bound and secondly...CAN BE CERTIFIED BY JP.

Thing is in Melbourne.....what they do is not reflected in their own official website.

Would not surprise me if a member posts that he obtained O-A through Sydney using JP .

Brisbane like Melb do not do O-A.

Just confirm with the author of the posting.

Yes Paz , I just find it all crazy. I keep views to myself esp as I'm a guest in Thailand. I quietly say to myself .....this wouldn't happen in AU. But it does, allbit at Thai consulates. Last there few weeks ago....asked person from melb consulate (head bloke, not Thai BTW) ...why isyour web site different from fact. Answer ...."rule change"

I ask why can iI post non imm o to Brisbane for non imm o? .....response..." They new consulate maybe they rule different" ..

I don't wish to sound high horse .....but coming from a successful business background I find immigration a complete joke