Foundation offers Bt60 million to help make Thailand's roads safer

webfact

Foundation offers Bt60 million to help make Thailand's roads safer
Suriyan Panyawai
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Safer Roads Foundation (SRF) has earmarked more than Bt60 million on efforts to reduce road deaths in Thailand, where more than 14,000 locals and foreigners are either killed or fatally injured in road accidents on average every year.

According to the World Health Organisation, Thailand came in at No 3 in world rankings last year in terms of the highest number of road deaths.

"I visited Thailand and saw many risks and danger in Thailand's traffic, which is supported by the rising number of deaths. So I chose to support Thailand in reducing traffic accidents," SRF director Michael Woodford said.

His foundation is providing 1 million pounds (over Bt60 million) in moves to cut down on road accidents in Thailand with the help of the Transport Ministry and the Thai Health Promotion Foundation. The fund is also intended to turn Thailand into a model of road safety.

Woodford said people should be aware of the rising number of road accidents and do what they can to resolve the problem.

Though related organisations have used several measures and laws, such as introducing speed controls and installing GPRS on public transport to deal with the problem, the number of road accidents are still on the rise.

Bangkok, Chiang Mai province and Surat Thani's Koh Samui district will be the first to introduce improvements in accident hotspots.

The Thai Health Promotion Foundation has also approved another 15 projects as part of its road-safety campaign.

"In order to reduce accidents, not only do individuals need to improve their behaviour on the road, but all relevant organisations also need to work together," Woodford said.

Teerapong Rodprasert, director general of the Land Transport Department, said the road-accident issue was a serious problem that needs to be resolved. He pointed out that though officials tried to implement new measures to control speed, it did not seem to work in practice.

The director said the department had started three experimental programmes.

The first is a speed-limit scheme in Nong Khai province, the second is organising public vans and the last is improving drivers' behaviour.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Foundation-offers-Bt60-million-to-help-make-Thaila-30245803.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-10-20

• Like 1

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off 60M is a lot to us, but a drop in the bucket for the scope of the problem they are trying to address. Take away part of that money after corrupt officials take their cut and the donation reduces even more. Many points in posts above are so true, namely the driving culture and system need a complete overhaul.

In the US you have motorcycles and patrol cars on the roads everywhere looking to stop and ticket offenders. That doesn't happen here. I don't know if is because they are too lazy or don't have enough police cars and bikes, but the system they have of just putting up checkpoints isn't even close to enough to deter people from breaking traffic laws. Then there is the need for schools and stricter tests as mentioned above...a complete overhaul is correct. They need to start from scratch.

A nice gesture however the whole system needs a complete overhaul starting with a program in defensive driving in schools to try a curb the culture of speeding and not wearing helmets etc and make it mandatory with much stricter tests for obtaining a licence.

People should be taught that having a licence is a privilege not a right and the Mai pen rai attitude on the roads should be addressed.

actually if you look at what they do, it is exactly what I've been saying needs doing time and again.......whereas education is important, dwelling on single issues will NEVER solve the problem - they concentrate on all the ENGINEERING aspects of road safety and advised governments on this.

Whether or not Thailand will listen, is a different matter.......various events since the junta took power have brought them into disagreement or concern with other countries and their reaction seems to be less that of a responsible state that wants to be part of the world community and more like a recalcitrant teenager.

• Like 1

Charity money is to help impoverished people! Not make roads safer. There are enough of them in Thailand.

You want to make the roads safer?

1. Make the driving test rigorous.

2 special tests for bus drivers( I can't believe half of them even have a licence at all)

3 get the police on the streets to enforce driving laws

4 as 3

5 as 3

Etc!

• Like 1

What a foolish mistake the Foundation would make by handing over this money. Road safety is about how we drive. I was trained in advance driving techniques for various security reasons and had to deal with many road conditions far more dangerous than some of the roads in Thailand. But only yesterday I was nearly caught out driving my little Honda Blade in Bearing and the road is nasty, flipped my steering. I manged to control,just. I see the need for road improvement for Thailand. One would have to question where the Bt60 million would go, certainly not on the roads,more like in someone's back pocket ? ? ? ? ?

This is a charity fund from England.

Why do we have to waste money on RUBBISH like this?

A very good point and why people are often reluctant to give to charities because of the poor use of funds and ridiculous administrative charges.

It is rubbish as it should be a Thai government responsibility.

Britain gives aid to India to help them help their people yet they can afford space exploration.

Hell I think USA gives money to EVERYBODY.

what a waste of money ,the drivers here will do what they want when they want ,only yesterday the car in front turned to the opposite direction to the traffic on the superhighway because the moron wanted to go down a side road 300 metres away jeez w00t.gif

"Thailand came in at No 3 in world rankings last year in terms of the highest number of road deaths."

It would be a lot cheaper and more effective if they instituted proper driving ordinances and enforced them.

They make it sound as though the roads are the cause of the deaths. In reality they are Pseudo-Driver Deaths. The vast majority of these deaths are caused by people who think, since they can afford to buy a motor vehicle, they are qualified to drive one. Most aren't qualified to ride along as a passenger let alone be behind the wheel. How many times do you see passengers holding an infant in their laps while sitting in the front seat or...7 or 8 people riding in the back of a pick up truck? In every western country, both of these situations are illegal and strictly enforced.

If funds were donated to build safer roads, there is a better than even chance that a portion would never make it to the construction phase of the project, and the money that does would be spent on inferior materials.

Edited by jaltsc
  • Like 1