Latest info about the opening of the new Immigration Office in Samui?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The site complete with big signboard is still a weed covered block of land on Soi 1 Maenam, probably a piece of land sold for some exhorbitant price amongst influential friends. Meanwhile the overcrowded immigration office remains just that, often 'packed to the eyeballs' by hopefull applicants.

Why they cannot have a floor in the new Customs building opposite the Seatran Ferry terminal, is beyond me, this would be an ideal place for them.

The site complete with big signboard is still a weed covered block of land on Soi 1 Maenam, probably a piece of land sold for some exhorbitant price amongst influential friends. Meanwhile the overcrowded immigration office remains just that, often 'packed to the eyeballs' by hopefull applicants.

Why they cannot have a floor in the new Customs building opposite the Seatran Ferry terminal, is beyond me, this would be an ideal place for them.

? I think you are looking in the wrong place sailor...

The structure is up but there is not much progress there now.

Yes going to be a while yet.... not much change, since I last drove by... over a month ago, I think! .... Some rock facade on the wall... about the only change!

Perhaps another year?

I agree with Oldsailor35 the Customs building is Nathon is huge.... and much more convenient to those coming from KP etc!

Maenam%2Bbeach%2BOct%2B26%2B-0746.jpg

Soi one Maenam, is going to be very busy for such a narrow road.... also under construction is a new water park, a little further up for here ^

Maenam%2Bbeach%2BOct%2B26%2B-0751.jpg

early stages, it looks like quiet a large project, It said not to take Photos of construction, so I did not! wink.pngwhistling.gif

Yes going to be a while yet.... not much change, since I last drove by... over a month ago, I think! .... Some rock facade on the wall... about the only change!

Perhaps another year?

I agree with Oldsailor35 the Customs building is Nathon is huge.... and much more convenient to those coming from KP etc!

I live next to there and drive past it every day, taking a quick peek as I pass. I really can't remember the last time I saw vehicles parked there or anyone actually working on the place.

I reckon that the stone cladding is the only thing they've done in the last 3 or 4 months . . . (tho I have to say I missed them doing that!)

At this rate, Thailand will be a world power, the foremost nation in ASEA, and foreigners will be welcomed and have totally free access to come and go as they please, by the time it actually gets finished . . .

R

R

Edited by robsamui

After years of putting up with the dreadful annual experience in Samui, I have pretty much decided that enough is enough, and plan to get extension and re entry stuff in Suratthani, despite all the trouble of getting there.

Has anyone had any experience of getting the process done there?

I wonder if it's a more civilized experience or maybe just "out of the frying pan, into the fire"?

Cheers.

• 1 month later...

Any recent update on the new immigration office in Maenam, or is it still located in Nathorn?

Also, what are the opening times... couldn't find that information anywhere facepalm.gif?

Thanks!

Last time I went by, nothing new had been done, so it is obviously "on hold" .... It would be anyone ones guess as to when it might start moving again. wink.png

After years of putting up with the dreadful annual experience in Samui, I have pretty much decided that enough is enough, and plan to get extension and re entry stuff in Suratthani, despite all the trouble of getting there.

I wonder if it's a more civilized experience or maybe just "out of the frying pan, into the fire"?

Cheers.

Sorry to hear that it's always an ordeal for you. Presumably, you've never tried to buy something in the January sales back in England then? ?

I have been coming to Samui on various tourist visas since January 2012, so I've been to the Samui office loads of times to get extensions to my visa entries. Indeed, I've just completed my 8th trip. High Season, Low Season, never had a problem, even when I haven't completed the form the night before. I just make sure I have a photo, 2x 1000 THB notes and a 20 THB note for their photocopying charges. I give them my passport, collect my ticket number and then go into Nathon to have something to eat. Return two hours or so later, collect my passport, and then jump on my bike in order to head back to Lamai. The staff, despite loads of people waving hands, money and passports at them, always remain calm, polite and helpful.

Sorry to hear that it's always an ordeal for you. Presumably, you've never tried to buy something in the January sales back in England then? ?

I have been coming to Samui on various tourist visas since January 2012, so I've been to the Samui office loads of times to get extensions to my visa entries. Indeed, I've just completed my 8th trip. High Season, Low Season, never had a problem, even when I haven't completed the form the night before. I just make sure I have a photo, 2x 1000 THB notes and a 20 THB note for their photocopying charges. I give them my passport, collect my ticket number and then go into Nathon to have something to eat. Return two hours or so later, collect my passport, and then jump on my bike in order to head back to Lamai. The staff, despite loads of people waving hands, money and passports at them, always remain calm, polite and helpful.

This is my experience as well, except I generally don't bother going into Nathon. I bring something to read and sit in the shade outside the 1-2 hours it usually takes to process my application. I also bring my own photocopies and 1,900 baht so they have everything they need in a neat package. I'm usually there when they open and I've had my passport back in less than an hour a few times. Only tourist visas so far though.

To be fair to nod - he is not on a tourist visa. You guys have it easy. Not much they can do with an extension for a tourist visa. It is the one year extensions where you get taken into the little room and asked for more money. sad.png It happened to me until I changed things.

To answer your question nod - I get my one year extensions/re-entry permits/90 reports and work permit all from Suratthani - but I do it through my agent. Costs more - takes up zero time. I am stilll working so time is money for me. cool.png

Cheers.

Yep you're right ! I have hardly ever tried to buy anything in the January sales !

Lucky you with all your wonderful experiences over the last two or three years !

You obviously always buy stuff in the January sales !

Cheers.

My enquiry regarding doing the extensions somewhere else has nothing to do with not wanting to queue or wait or anything of a snobbish nature.

In fact doing it elsewhere would be much more time consuming.

It's to do with attitude.

Perhaps when you've been doing it for more than a couple of years and are looking for a more complicated visa, you might be more qualified to comment on other peoples experiences rather than making smart a*43 comments!

Perhaps you should consider applying for a job at immigration. You should fit in well !

Edited by nod

To be fair to nod - he is not on a tourist visa. You guys have it easy. Not much they can do with an extension for a tourist visa. It is the one year extensions where you get taken into the little room and asked for more money. sad.png It happened to me until I changed things.

To answer your question nod - I get my one year extensions/re-entry permits/90 reports and work permit all from Suratthani - but I do it through my agent. Costs more - takes up zero time. I am stilll working so time is money for me. cool.png

Cheers.

My enquiry regarding doing the extensions somewhere else has nothing to do with not wanting to queue or wait or anything of a snobbish nature.

In fact doing it elsewhere would be much more time consuming.

It's to do with attitude.

Perhaps when you've been doing it for more than a couple of years and are looking for a more complicated visa, you might be more qualified to comment on other peoples experiences rather than making smart a*43 comments!

Perhaps you should consider applying for a job at immigration. You should fit in well !

Hello nod,

I apologise.

Having read Tropicalevo's helpful post, quoted above, I understand now why your experience would be different from mine.You posted your query hoping for practical advice, which, after all, is the whole purpose of ThaiVisa. I agree that my post did not take the matter forward for you. Sorry about that.

Good luck with your future applications.

If We - me, my wife and baby - want to have a 30 day extention on our tourist visas - do we have to be there in person ( baby waiting - no fun for the poor child I guess), or is it sufficient that I head down to Nathon alone with our passports and stuff?

Plus: What's the best week day and daytime to do this?

Went to Nathorn today. I always have great experience with tourist visa extensions there. Staff are always friendly and helpful, and I waited under an hour to get my passport back with no issues.

I think attitude and dress has a lot to do with service here. Have a shower, dress appropriately, smile and be polite, and you will get the same treatment.

Compared to Bangkok immigration, it's a dream!

Note however, that they have lunch break for an hour between 12:00pm and 1:00pm.

Good luck, all!

Still didn't manage to find their opening times though...

Hello nod,

I apologise.

Having read Tropicalevo's helpful post, quoted above, I understand now why your experience would be different from mine.You posted your query hoping for practical advice, which, after all, is the whole purpose of ThaiVisa. I agree that my post did not take the matter forward for you. Sorry about that.

re. above.

Many thanks and may I take this opportunity of apologizing to you for possibly over reacting to your comments.

Kindest regards and best wishes for the Festive Season.

Cheers.

Hello nod,

I apologise.

re. above.

Many thanks and may I take this opportunity of apologizing to you for possibly over reacting to your comments.

Kindest regards and best wishes for the Festive Season.

Cheers.

hello nod.

Good to hear from you again and thank you for your good wishes for the Festive Seadon. Much appreciated.

Happy Christmas to one and all reading this thread. Click

• 2 weeks later...

Just realised that Mo, 29 and Tue, 30 Dec, are the only two days left for me to apply for a visa enxtension in Nathon... It ends on Jan,3rd, and IO is closed until Jan 4!

and that's right after Christmas holiday+weekend, so the place will be packed!

Would you all please let me cut infront of you... ;-)

They open at 8:30, right? Will there be a queue outside long before that already, like people camping infront all night? When should I be there? I NEED the extension on Monday or Tuesday!

Edited by ocejanic

Just realised that Mo, 29 and Tue, 30 Dec, are the only two days left for me to apply for a visa enxtension in Nathon... It ends on Jan,3rd, and IO is closed until Jan 4!

and that's right after Christmas holiday+weekend, so the place will be packed!

Would you all please let me cut infront of you... ;-)

They open at 8:30, right? Will there be a queue outside long before that already, like people camping infront all night? When should I be there? I NEED the extension on Monday or Tuesday!

Dress smart. Long trousers, shoes and long sleeve shirt. That will get you ahead of the 'beach' brigade. Good luck.

Mission accomplished!

Showed up at 8 am, 5 people already waiting ( opens at 8:30). Nice immigration officer already handing out TM7s outside. I had mine filled in on computer and printed out before.

At around 8:15 loads of people queuing behind me, many full-moon-party types, me and family dressed like Clark Kent ;-)

doors open, we all flush in, I' m number 6. Got documents pre-checked, everything o.k., paid and was told "1hour".

Most others filled in the form standing or leaning against a wall, missing info ( address in Thailand) , made hectic phone calls while being squeezed in the tiny lobby, me smilingly leaving the "beach brigade" behind, waiting in opposite cafe, adjacent the HDburger visa service.

Went to see after 30 mins, asked nice officer if my number would already have been processed. He went inside, came out after one minute and handed my our three passports. with 30-days extension stamp.

Very happy now. And in two hours from now, I will happily and purposely miss my Air Asia flight for a planned visa run to KL.

Mission accomplished!

Showed up at 8 am, 5 people already waiting ( opens at 8:30). Nice immigration officer already handing out TM7s outside. I had mine filled in on computer and printed out before.

At around 8:15 loads of people queuing behind me, many full-moon-party types, me and family dressed like Clark Kent ;-)

doors open, we all flush in, I' m number 6. Got documents pre-checked, everything o.k., paid and was told "1hour".

Most others filled in the form standing or leaning against a wall, missing info ( address in Thailand) , made hectic phone calls while being squeezed in the tiny lobby, me smilingly leaving the "beach brigade" behind, waiting in opposite cafe, adjacent the HDburger visa service.

Went to see after 30 mins, asked nice officer if my number would already have been processed. He went inside, came out after one minute and handed my our three passports. with 30-days extension stamp.

Very happy now. And in two hours from now, I will happily and purposely miss my Air Asia flight for a planned visa run to KL.

cheesy.gifclap2.gif

Well done Jan thumbsup.gif

• 2 weeks later...