Is min. wage really 300 THB / day?

willyumiii

I can't believe how sensitive op and some others are.

First of all the $6000 au was way under what a lot of people make. Hells bells I pay my painters $45 plus plus and hour. Plumbers and sparks more. 6k a month is only 72 k a year net.

I am retired, that makes big difference. My first gf was an office manager 6 days a week for 25k baht.

I give my gf a salary per week. And pay for everything.

We are off shortly to koh shamed...do I want her working at pantip market for thin air. So the op would have his wife work for what $180aud a month. Hells bells

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all the $6000 au was way under what a lot of people make. Hells bells I pay my painters $45 plus plus and hour. Plumbers and sparks more. 6k a month is only 72 k a year net.

I am retired, that makes big difference. My first gf was an office manager 6 days a week for 25k baht.

We are off shortly to koh shamed...do I want her working at pantip market for thin air. So the op would have his wife work for what $180aud a month. Hells bells

your ages please.............lol. you guys are funny.

A gf should want to spend time with you wo making it sound like a business arrangement. I bet apple doesnt pay like you do. Salary and all living expenses................lol.

Edited by choochoo

This might sound rude but I can't understand how expats here esp if they are retired can have their wife/gf working for that sort of money per day.

Means you can't go and travel etc etc.

My gf doesn't work for that very reason. If we were in AU sure she could work and get at least 600/hour.

I could go home for a month and make 180000bath.

How could I have her work in Thailand

This might sound rude but I can't understand how expats here esp if they are retired can have their wife/gf working for that sort of money per day.

My gf doesn't work for that very reason. If we were in AU sure she could work and get at least 600/hour.

Because usually wife/ gf/ bf are at least twenty years younger than the retiree.

So instead of working- have friends/ colleagues at work or even making a serious career or build up their own business- they stay at home.

To do what?

Cook the dinner?

Clean the house?

Do the shopping?

Have no aspirations?

Make sure they are there for a roll in the hay in the afternoon?

No it's not much money- but more than a dollar a day that millions around the world earn. It gives a certain amount of freedom- this is my money, I can spend it as I wish-a bit of self determination.

Not a slave to the farang ( hate that term) ATM .

• Like 1

180000bht a month, only 72000 dollars a year, garbage men now get more in aus, and the tax would be about 20000 dollars, plus gst on just about every thing, 7 dollars for a stubbie at the pub, smokes $30 plus a packet, no comparison to living in thailand, every thing in aus is expensive compared to thailand

• Like 1

Problem is in Thailand a lot of the employment seems to linear in nature. Years ago in AU and many other countries I would imagine there was huge shift...a lot of the employment particularly in certain areas like retail and supermarkets became more part time work. Suited many frustrated many. Flexibility here seems less.

I just don't understand farang scratching out a living here and also have their wife working for peanuts. If you haven't made your money and need to work here prob means your young......I mean below 50 whatever....

So here's what you do. Got back to farang world and your missus can work as well. Work hard and return when you have made some moula.

The rate varies depending on location too. It's not just one rate country wide.

Since 1 January 2013 the minimum wage is 300 Baht all over the country. Before that there where differences per province.

The minimum wage is only applicable for Thai nationals.

Thanks.

The new minimum wage applies to every employee in Thailand, regardless of age, sex, industry, or nationality.

Cambodia, where the daily minimum wage is $2.03 and Burma where the daily minimum wage is 58 cents,

http://asiafoundation.org/in-asia/2013/01/30/thailand-adopts-nationwide-minimum-wage-policy-amid-controversy/

Thai labor law also requires housing for migrants and social security and medical benefits. This applies to legal migrant workers with work permit.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

I live on 6,000 baht a month ( inc my rent of 2000 baht a month ) and the 6,000 baht includes rent,food,water,electric,train trips etc etc! Yes it can be done! ( i have been doing it for a while now! )

F.J x

180000bht a month, only 72000 dollars a year, garbage men now get more in aus, and the tax would be about 20000 dollars, plus gst on just about every thing, 7 dollars for a stubbie at the pub, smokes $30 plus a packet, no comparison to living in thailand, every thing in aus is expensive compared to thailand

Don't follow you... I said 72k a year cause didn't want to sound up and mighty. 72k is middle actually almost below middle income. My net income in Au for last several years was over 100k Net a year. And pails into small change to what some of the oil and gas workers get.

Just small talk ...but seriously I just got back from au holiday and visited friends in gold coast. Their son 21, yes just finished engineering degree, did well. So he was on way to first job in mines..... 3 yr contract starting salary 120k. ....

What a load of nonsense being printed here.

It is nationwide, and it is a minimum of 300 a day, irrespective of it being a monthly calculation or not.

Officially yes.

In practice No.

Many of the workers in my area of Issan are paid B250 a day as a going rate. Some shop assistants and cleaners are still working for B200 a day.

• Like 1

It is nationwide, and it is a minimum of 300 a day, irrespective of it being a monthly calculation or not.

Officially yes.

In practice No.

Many of the workers in my area of Issan are paid B250 a day as a going rate. Some shop assistants and cleaners are still working for B200 a day.

Thailand’s employers must pay all employees at least 300 baht (about $10) a day. If they don’t, they will face six months in jail and/or a 100,000 baht fine for not complying. The 300-baht

http://asiafoundation.org/in-asia/2013/01/30/thailand-adopts-nationwide-minimum-wage-policy-amid-controversy/

Some people just get bored. I know guys here on pensions that teach English for pennies to stay active.

I agree. I am not bored (much), having three young kids, but I often get invited to "English Camp" at local schools as a native English speaker. I have a great time and get fed and treated as a VIP for a change.

Officially yes.

In practice No.

Thailand’s employers must pay all employees at least 300 baht (about $10) a day. If they don’t, they will face six months in jail and/or a 100,000 baht fine for not complying. The 300-baht

Yupp you can quote the official line all you like. but in practice, at least in my area, B300 is not being paid. I'm quoting figures from direct experience and not from hearsay.

I've mentioned the B300 minimum many times and been told its too much. When I mentioned fines I was told the workers won't complain as they will never get work again in the area.

Maybe just maybe their is dignity in working not totally relying on others. Having a sense of self.

Your comments are all about you.,

Maybe just another Thai women with a farang so she can do nothing!

There is more to working than just a few dollars.

There are many educated Thai women out there who in your terms shouldn't even bother ..but they have to and want to. They don't look for an ATM..

You are completely wrong! You are doing her no favours..

• Like 1

Is that correct.... Yes and Santa in coming soon . sometimes reality is different than law. That's true in farang world so can only imagine Thailand. Anyway its not the point. The OP is asking about approx 40baht a day difference. How much do you folk tip your cab driver or cafe or heavens forbid bar bill.

One guy above who is 50 states he lives here for 6000 a month. Talk about seat of your pants. Guess some Buddha flowers each month is out of question.

Officially yes.

In practice No.

Yupp you can quote the official line all you like. but in practice, at least in my area, B300 is not being paid. I'm quoting figures from direct experience and not from hearsay.

I've mentioned the B300 minimum many times and been told its too much. When I mentioned fines I was told the workers won't complain as they will never get work again in the area.

This is correct . When I reviewed our staff some were not on 300 baht per day . I was informed that it because of the area. All are now on the minimum regardless. Turnover is now almost zero.

• Like 1

Problem is in Thailand a lot of the employment seems to linear in nature. Years ago in AU and many other countries I would imagine there was huge shift...a lot of the employment particularly in certain areas like retail and supermarkets became more part time work. Suited many frustrated many. Flexibility here seems less.

I just don't understand farang scratching out a living here and also have their wife working for peanuts. If you haven't made your money and need to work here prob means your young......I mean below 50 whatever....

So here's what you do. Got back to farang world and your missus can work as well. Work hard and return when you have made some moula.

You do not know what you are talking about. I and many before were on significant wages here and I was in my 30's ( I am now mid 50's) much more than figures you have quoted in your posts.

You seem to have a very stereotypical idea of things and seem a bit obsessed with money!

Thailand is best experienced as a younger man, not as a retiree.. There are compromised in everything.

I go with coming here as a youngster and having a go, better than twittering on about some gf who doesn't work !

Your wife should ask the school to elaborate on the offer and if it is not in line with the minimum wage than you can consider reporting the school to provincial labor department. But if you have kids in the school and want them to stay learning there you might reconsider.

Basically on a full time job the minimum salary should be about 9000 Baht per month. Normal working hours are 8 per day and the week is 6 days including Saturday. But government, schools, banks, and most office related companies work only 5 days.

5 days

4.25 weeks a month

Just over 6k/mo

You do not know what you are talking about. I and many before were on significant wages here and I was in my 30's ( I am now mid 50's) much more than figures you have quoted in your posts.

You seem to have a very stereotypical idea of things and seem a bit obsessed with money!

Thailand is best experienced as a younger man, not as a retiree.. There are compromised in everything.

I go with coming here as a youngster and having a go, better than twittering on about some gf who doesn't work !

Oh means your a bikie ... Because your what we call a 1%er.... Very few came here at 30 and earn the money your suggesting. Stick to the OP. He was asking about his wife working for under 300 baht a day. Does yours Mr moneybags

Agreed. I don't know why people are suggesting $6000 in Oz is a large monthly salary. I retired as an ambo in 2012 and didn't know a Nurse, copper or other ambo that was earning less than that...Shift work and o/t usually takes salaries nearer $9000 a month. Still couldn't afford to live in the bloody place though. Prices for everything are ridiculous.

Geez you blokes read the previous posts. Yes I earned over 100k/yr in au. My point was always how can farang live here and talk about 250 baht vs 300 baht / day for his wife.

I have stuck with the OP. ..

MANY sadly talk about my posts. Fact is how many farang live here and have their chicks work for min wage.

Surely your kiddin me. My Thai gf is sitting next to me laughing at some of the farang rubbish. Esp 50 yr old living on 6000 baht a month and the super rich 30 yr old that came here 20 yes ago. But most of all the OP.

HER reply ....<deleted>

I have to say though viewers if it was the other way round I am a farang and I would work for 300 baht a day! 9,000 baht a month is more than enough to live in Thailand! Where I live is mostly all Thais all on 300 baht a day and all have motorbikes ( for me I see them as a waste of money when walking/bicycle is much better for you! I would even consider working in a rice field for 250 baht a day ( free food & water) and outside in the gorgeous sun all day!

It is 300Baht per day according to the law.

Except for Cambodians, Burmese, Laotians, farang teachers, Digital nomads and some others.

I think they get a little less.whistling.gif

if nation can get any good worker for 300 a day be he/she burmese forang teacher or other and they are any good come work for us we pay good workers Burmese at least 400 a day but they do have to be good and not lazy sods as most here IMO are

I live on 6,000 baht a month ( inc my rent of 2000 baht a month ) and the 6,000 baht includes rent,food,water,electric,train trips etc etc! Yes it can be done! ( i have been doing it for a while now! )

F.J x

i pity you we pay much more for our elec bill but we do have 6 air cons and i9m not boasting just stating facts

You sir, are full of shit. You think 72k is medium or below medium? Facts my friend, facts. The rough median income of Australia is about 32,000, less than half of what you think the 'median' income is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Median_household_income

Facts to support the claim. Now, I make about $100,000 USD a year as a network engineer but I don't flaunt it. I grew up on welfare and know the value of money and working hard. You seem disconnected from reality if you think everyone is walking around raking in 5+k each month.