Monks asking for money for blessing. And a copy/scan place.

bbqboy

Hi! New to Hua Hin.

We had our first walk around town today and were approached by an elderly monk next to the train station. He asked if we'd like to make a donation for a blessing. He showed us a few envelopes showing donations from others.

We don't really know if it was legitimate - but I said I'd give a donation in exchange for a photo. Gave him 100 Baht, he gave us his blessings, I had a photo taken with him and we chatted a bit.

He then started talking about a piece of property that he had for sale about 25km south of Hua Hin. I said innocently enough that I though foreigners couldn't buy property in Thailand. He said we could be partners. I laughed it off...but it reinforced my feeling that it was all a hoax.

My first experience of this kind in Thailand. I'd be interested in what people with more experience here have to say about that.

a question; Can anyone recommend a good place to copy/scan documents around soi 68 area?

Thanks in advance!

whistling.gif Ordained monks do not ordinarily handle money.

They have helpers who are not monks who handle money for things like donations to orphanages they sponsor and schools they help for poor students to go to.

In general. they will accept the envelope, but then pass the envelope to their non ordained helper who will do the actual handling of the money.

Usually the monk won't handle the actual money, and if he does, it is suspect that he is a monk.

It's one of the extra precepts they take at ordination.

Though, admittedly not all observe it.

• Like 1

If/When a Monk asks for money; he is NOT a Monk . . . . . . steer clear of these types of people !

wai.gif

yes jf.you can normally spot them at the rest area's outside the shops,as soon as they spot farangs they will move towards the slip road,stop you and ask for money,if you give them 50bht.or 100 they will ask for more.

my wife gave them more[A RIGHT MOUTHFULL] words not in the oxford dictionary.

You are a mark to them, plain and simple. Treat them with the same amount of respect as you are treated, which means turning your back when they put their pitiful <deleted> hands out. So sick of this shit.

• 2 weeks later...

So when people come up to you in your own country and ask for donations are they legit?

Yes usually if its a priest or nun asking for a donation...

There are priests and nuns walking the street asking for donations?

Yes I remember seeing nuns and young priests sitting in the foyer of super markets collecting for different charities and/or church repairs, but it has been a while since I've been back to the UK