Do you prefer pre-paid or post-paid?

trunknuk

Having had both, and having run into an overpriced phone bill on post-paid, I'm now a fan a of pre-paid. The thinking is that post-paid was easier and better, but the reality is you're locked into a bill each month, and a likely candidate for billing issues. Prepaid keeps the monthly telco spend real, and you're much more clear on what you spend.

What do you prefer, pre or post paid? (assuming you have the choice, of course)

Depends. I was pre-paid for years but when DTAC offered a 50% discount on post-paid I switched; so I was able to save quite a bit of money by switching. I have not encountered any billing issues, always 533.93 baht/month.

As long as you use 50% - 75% of the minutes, post-paid probably saves money, but there are so many variables and every person has different requirements (usage, voice, data, budget), there may be no hard/fast rule.

If you don't make a lot of calls, it may make more sense to stick with pre-paid.

It is pretty easy to monitor your usage with all the various tools: web, mobile (Android), so you can avoid sticker shock.

I am very happy with Truemoves prepaid 4G...

I make very few calls and mainly use the phone for data...

299 baht for 1.5GB per month (They have double data promotion running until 2015)...

It is setup to reoccur/auto renew so I just topup a 1,000 baht and good for +3 months ...

If I run over the 1.5GB (which I have yet to do) I can purchase additional 1GB for 150 baht...

I have gone online to True and registered the sim and phone number in my name so if I were

to lose the phone I could get a replacement sim and such by showing my ID

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/4g/sim-truemoveh/prepaid/entry/3340?ln=en

BTW When I went into the True Store to get their new upgraded 4G sim the lady at first said only Post Paid possible for 4G - But I showed her the above webpage (on my iPhone) with a confused smile (The Thai smile that say your lying to me) and she relented and processed and gave me the new sim... I think she was lazy as there was alot of fiddling with my phone, sms and such with the new sim before it worked ;-)...

Edited by sfokevin
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Prepaid. Unlike the USA, there is very little difference between prepaid vs postpaid plans for most of the carriers, except MybyCat in some cases.

Internet by itself i'm getting 4gb unlimited package for 631/mo. Use it only for internet and you are ok.

On the ais mobile. I went to the 1 baht/min 24 hours with no monthly fee. You can always do a mao-mao package if you want to save more off that.

And using apps like skype, whatsapp, viber, line, google voice/hangouts, etc definetely can cut down your total voice costs.

Edited by 4evermaat