Koh Tao murders: Influential island figure vows to clear his son's name

webfact

The video is on YouTube and you can see there is about a second difference in the two CAMS. IMO a system has ONE time and as many cameras as you want, but two times? OK it is only a second and I am no expert, That is why I ask the question..........I just feel there can only be ONE time!

Have you ever been to a Thai hotel lobby which had several clocks, each labeled with a different big city? The clocks are all over the place, no two have the same minutes shown.

Thais are to scientific precision what whooping cranes are to nuclear fission.

They know all about ghosts though.

Correct but these are all cams hooked up to the same system and therefor should show exactly the same....unless?

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tarnished from the beginning, no one believes anything Thais do. What a crap show of BS Thais expect us to swallow without any question. So go ahead and keep up the circus act. I'm waiting for the real UK police to release their findings.

Why does it matter? Conspiracy nuts will just not believe and demand more proof only to then go on and disbelieve that.

What kind of results are these people thinking will happen ... that somehow the two DNA samples collected at the scene will somehow match a third person making two people who don't even share the same heritage having identical DNA. THEY ALREADY MATCHED THE DNA and this kid was not even on the island at the time of the murders. At least their is tough defamation laws in Thailand and this is a perfect example of when they should be used.

If the matches are so certain, why has the prosecutor sent the docket back THREE times?

Exactly.

• Like 1

If I was an Itinerant worker, working illegally on Koh Tao and had just raped and killed a girl in a frenzied brutal attack with a garden hoe and killed her boyfriend. I would stay on the island as if nothing had happened even wearing the same shirt the next day, no need to change after all (no nasty blood stains or anything).

Public boats off the island watched.

Multiple identical work shirts owned

so did the police find a blood stained shirt from the accused..? I do not think so. The shirt looks identical, but as you say it could be another from the bar. I cannot imagine how there would no stains on any of his clothing. How many shirts has he got..? is there one missing. How many days after the murder was he arrested..? plenty of time to get off regardless of being "watched" plenty of others got off OK. It just seems odd that they would just hang around after such a henious crime. There were no witnesses at all, no CCTV of them at the correct time, so it must all be hinging on DNA, which would prove rape. It would not satisfy Sherlock.

"so it must all be hinging.."

Means Motive Opportunity DNA confessions CCTV, second confession to HRC... And who knows what else??

To which CCTV clip(s) are you referring?

he could have subjected directly his DNA to clear his name

me thinks he was afraid , that he was innocent maybe in this case, but his DNA might pop-up in older RAPE cases ?

i see no other reason ...

I am.still confused about the condom they found which apparently had NO DNA inside it at all.

Unless someone's pecker is so small it doesn't touch the rubber some cells have to be left behind

So the UK cops turn up. Have a tour or 2 of the site and then sit down to "chat" with the RTP. How many of the RTP have enough proper training to know what the difference between a chat and a police interview is? Do we think that Scotland Yard put some office juniors on that flight? Scotland Yard looked at the remit (i.e. "just to observe") and then worked around that. Quite frankly I think the RTP are so used to getting their own way that a freshman debating team could tear 90% of them apart. Let alone a couple of the finest investigators from a renowned police body. In short my theory is that the DNA re-test is another opportunity for Scotland Yard to watch the behaviour and processes that the RTP will use and then document that as part of their report for the inquest.

RTP are playing poker with Scotland Yard and they have everything to lose. Does it matter to SY if they return to England and publicly release a damning report of the RTP? Does it matter to the RTP if SY return to England and use concrete evidence of wrongdoings and mis-justice throughout the RTP?

To summarise I'm starting to think that the result of this DNA test is neither here nor there for SY. They are far more interested in what happens than the result. I reckon SY are playing Han Solo against Greebo. They are fiddling with the crack in the wall whilst they have everything aimed directly at the RTPs balls and the RTP don't know it. They're treating them like a guilty party and playing this investigation on their terms. RTP have taken the bait, hook, line and sinker. They either do the right thing and pull in the man they know did it, admit they have nothing on the 2 Burmese lads and have to ask for help or they continue down the line they're on and find themselves dangling come the new year. They're on a hiding to nothing.

I'm looking forward to January now.

• Like 1

Why does it matter? Conspiracy nuts will just not believe and demand more proof only to then go on and disbelieve that.

What kind of results are these people thinking will happen ... that somehow the two DNA samples collected at the scene will somehow match a third person making two people who don't even share the same heritage having identical DNA. THEY ALREADY MATCHED THE DNA and this kid was not even on the island at the time of the murders. At least their is tough defamation laws in Thailand and this is a perfect example of when they should be used.

If the matches are so certain, why has the prosecutor sent the docket back THREE times?

Exactly.

Don't even entertain this troll known as JTJ........so obviously doesn't know or care about the facts. He blindly believes all the RTP says.

Have the Brit experts packed up and left?

Not sure, the RTP said that Mark Kent the British Ambassador would also be attending the DNA circus today but he obviously decided not to, guess he's not keen on people speaking on his behalf.

The UK police if still here would certainly not have taken part or been witness to such a spectacle and farce. The only way this test could be recognized as fair and transparent is if it had been carried out independently.

• Like 1

Dear god, yap yap yap, has anyone bothered to click on this link http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/one-tourist-murder-suspect-now-arrested-another-run/ of todays date saying the police have already arrested Mon, the headman's brother and they are now seeking the headman's son who has fled to Bangkok w00t.gif

Head lines from said piece..................................One tourist murder suspect now arrested, another on the run

in General |September 23, 2014

(14,149 views)

History....they have been cleared since...................

Things in the past are history but the terminology of the statement cannot be changed.

"evidence which police collected were examined and proved he was involved"

" both suspects were captured by CCTV cameras and the police have gathered enough evidence to implicate them in the murders."

What changed? How can a Police Commisioner use the words "evidence," examined", "proved", and then state they were caught on CCTV and then these statements brushed aside.

Many posters complain about people using theories and insist posters use proper news and police statements to confirm or bolster their posts. This is from a commanding officer using words that accuse people of crimes and claims to have evidence to support it but now its brushed off as history.

How could a statement delivered to the press be so wrong? Maybe saying we believe or its possible then I could understand the confusion.

Maybe the "Evidence" they had in the beginning that the commander was so confident about should be observed by the UK Police.

If you accept "proved" here, surely you have to accept proved in other statements, as well as disproved

How can I accept it on both statements? That would mean both parties did it? Are you throwing your own conspiracy theories out there? Or they both didn't do it?

Please be a bit clearer in your statements. Maybe your too clever for me but it seems you just threw a quick retort out rather than answered my questions!wai.gif

Exculpatory evidence disproved that statement. There were statements before and after. You are being disingenuous in taking only one as immutable.

exculpatory exculpable police police...............................you have no proof that that the Burmese did it - unanswered questions prove your fiends involvement. You have not posted one link that these two are innocent - http://mikeestravels.com/2014/09/25/the-dark-side-of-thailands-island-paradise/ someonw who knows far better than YOU!!!

Dear god, yap yap yap, has anyone bothered to click on this link http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/one-tourist-murder-suspect-now-arrested-another-run/ of todays date saying the police have already arrested Mon, the headman's brother and they are now seeking the headman's son who has fled to Bangkok w00t.gif

Head lines from said piece..................................One tourist murder suspect now arrested, another on the run

in General |September 23, 2014

(14,149 views)

History....they have been cleared since...................

Things in the past are history but the terminology of the statement cannot be changed.

"evidence which police collected were examined and proved he was involved"

" both suspects were captured by CCTV cameras and the police have gathered enough evidence to implicate them in the murders."

What changed? How can a Police Commisioner use the words "evidence," examined", "proved", and then state they were caught on CCTV and then these statements brushed aside.

Many posters complain about people using theories and insist posters use proper news and police statements to confirm or bolster their posts. This is from a commanding officer using words that accuse people of crimes and claims to have evidence to support it but now its brushed off as history.

How could a statement delivered to the press be so wrong? Maybe saying we believe or its possible then I could understand the confusion.

Maybe the "Evidence" they had in the beginning that the commander was so confident about should be observed by the UK Police.

If you accept "proved" here, surely you have to accept proved in other statements, as well as disproved

How can I accept it on both statements? That would mean both parties did it? Are you throwing your own conspiracy theories out there? Or they both didn't do it?

Please be a bit clearer in your statements. Maybe your too clever for me but it seems you just threw a quick retort out rather than answered my questions!wai.gif

Exculpatory evidence disproved that statement. There were statements before and after. You are being disingenuous in taking only one as immutable.

Im not trying to win an argument here. I just want the right people charged. I am aware Mon attended the Police station and gave DNA and we were told he was not a match.

Im trying to get to the bottom of this and for the Police to use these words and to claim they have CCTV evidence of Nomsod on the island and then retract it is very strange in my eyes.

You seem 100 % percent convinced in your decision which i find a little strange considering the way this case has been handled. Even the prosecution isn't happy with it seeing all the evidence so i why are you so convinced when you are not privy to the evidence they have seen.

I think its important to explore all avenues.

Ever since this case started with all the things the Police said "Like a Thai could never do this" and then the gay smear against Davids friend this case has been a joke.

Im not sure we will get to the bottom of this case but lets live in hope!!

JTJ keeps asserting the police line that Burmese DNA matched that found within victim.

There's one big hole in that assertion. If there is a frame-up (which many think there is) then it's easy to skew the data. For starters, who actually has the hard data showing the profile of the DNA found in the victim? Answer: COPS and only cops.

All they have to say, starting the day after arresting the Burmese, is: "their DNA matches." Who is going to go to the police and demand to see original results? Possibly only the prosecutors, but they've already sent the police report back 2 or 3 times for revisions (read: make the frame-up look more convincing). Plus, the prosecutors are working hand in hand with officialdom.

Another easy way to skew the DNA data: Take the Burmese boys' data, make a copy of it (it's probably on paper cards), and rename it: "Semen taken from victim." Doing that would also safeguard Nomsod, and would explain why he and his shielders were so nonchalant about submitting his DNA today, some grinning in the background.

Original samples were tested in Singapore. This was before implication of the two Burmese. They should have the original record. Trust nothing from Thai police. Send all new samples to Singapore for comparison.

I seemed to recollect that the RTP said they would be sending the samples to Singapore, but instead sent them to BKK, who distributed them to hospitals in Chiang Mai. While I could be mistaken on which hospitals tested the samples, it wasn't Singapore.

I'm going to answer without going back and finding the links to verify, but this is my understanding based on police statements over time (I'm sure I'll be quickly corrected if I'm wrong):

The initial tests to identify the DNA found on Hannah's body must have been done in Thailand--probably the forensic hospital where the autopsy was performed (I'm guessing)--because they were quickly able to compare samples from the initial 12 suspects against that first test (and I believe this happened before Singapore was mentioned as an option).

Afterwards, the police said they wanted to use the DNA to identify race but were unable to do so with their own technology, so they were going to send a sample to Singapore. They did identify the DNA as belonging to an "Asian", so it may well be they sent a portion of the original DNA sample to a Singapore lab at that time in order to determine race, not to do matching analysis.

After that, the police said that they had a backlog of DNA matching tests to perform, so they sent a portion of the original DNA sample (or perhaps just the results of earlier tests?) to several places in Thailand, including Chiang Mai, to perform the matching analysis.

So it's possible the the original sample was divided up and sent to several different places, or at least that the test results from the original sample was sent to several different places.

Nobody in the public knows the facts, so anything we say about this is pure speculation ... I don't even think reasonable inferences from what is known are possible here.

But both the prosecution and the defense should want to verify that any and all tests that were performed met the proper standards for reliable accuracy. That means tracking and verifying that the chain of custody was maintained and the proper standards were adhered to in gathering, handling, testing, analyzing, and storing all samples and test results.

Again, this would be true in any criminal investigation and prosecution, anywhere in the world, not just Thailand.

Edited by Bleacher Bum East

If the father is angry, he should direct that anger at the police who identified and named his son as one of the prime suspect in the initial days of the 'investigation'....not at internet posters such as CSILA who seek to pursue and test that information. Have the police apologised for the "name and shame"? Probably not.

Prbkk...........Do you believe it is likely that these two are innocent and the Burmese boys are guilty? The mafia apologists have not shown one shred of evidence for this in 17pages of postings - only insults, name calling and repetition of police statements!! There is NOTHING to convince people of their innocence given some of the other strong proven evidence against them

JD - I can see that you are obviously a sort of official on this subject judging by your multiple posts. I am intereseted, but really do not know that much about it at all. I have not seen any statements from witnesses and I have not seen any conclusive CCTV near the time of the murder, I assume you have seen far more. There is one snap in the shop much earlier and one of the 3 burmese on the bike even earlier, none others that I have seen. I also think the motive line is extremely weak. There could be the motive of being rejected and rebuked in a bar by a pretty tourist and hence losing big face as opposed to the motive of working as slave labor with no welfare or respect driving someone to attack, rape and murder after a bottle of beer and sing song on the beach. BUT my real comment was, I just do not understand why they did not leave...It was not hard to get off the island. I have no idea who did this, but it would not be a normal action for a murderer to just hang around like this. I just hope justice is served.

To which CCTV clip(s) are you referring?
  • Like 1

JTJ keeps asserting the police line that Burmese DNA matched that found within victim.

There's one big hole in that assertion. If there is a frame-up (which many think there is) then it's easy to skew the data. For starters, who actually has the hard data showing the profile of the DNA found in the victim? Answer: COPS and only cops.

All they have to say, starting the day after arresting the Burmese, is: "their DNA matches." Who is going to go to the police and demand to see original results? Possibly only the prosecutors, but they've already sent the police report back 2 or 3 times for revisions (read: make the frame-up look more convincing). Plus, the prosecutors are working hand in hand with officialdom.

Another easy way to skew the DNA data: Take the Burmese boys' data, make a copy of it (it's probably on paper cards), and rename it: "Semen taken from victim." Doing that would also safeguard Nomsod, and would explain why he and his shielders were so nonchalant about submitting his DNA today, some grinning in the background.

Original samples were tested in Singapore. This was before implication of the two Burmese. They should have the original record. Trust nothing from Thai police. Send all new samples to Singapore for comparison.

I seemed to recollect that the RTP said they would be sending the samples to Singapore, but instead sent them to BKK, who distributed them to hospitals in Chiang Mai. While I could be mistaken on which hospitals tested the samples, it wasn't Singapore.

I'm going to answer without going back and finding the links to verify, but this is my understanding based on police statements over time (I'm sure I'll be quickly corrected if I'm wrong):

The initial tests to identify the DNA found on Hannah's body must have been done in Thailand--probably the forensic hospital where the autopsy was performed (I'm guessing)--because they were quickly able to compare samples from the initial 12 suspects against that first test (and I believe this happened before Singapore was mentioned as an option).

Afterwards, the police said they wanted to use the DNA to identify race but were unable to do so with their own technology, so they were going to send a sample to Singapore. They did identify the DNA as belonging to an "Asian", so it may well be they sent a portion of the original DNA sample to a Singapore lab at that time in order to determine race, not to do matching analysis.

After that, the police said that they had a backlog of DNA matching tests to perform, so they sent a portion of the original DNA sample (or perhaps just the results of earlier tests?) to several places in Thailand, including Chiang Mai, to perform the matching analysis.

So it's possible the the original sample was divided up and sent to several different places, or at least that the test results from the original sample was sent to several different places.

Nobody in the public knows the facts, so anything we say about this is pure speculation ... I don't even think reasonable inferences from what is known are possible here.

But both the prosecution and the defense should want to verify that any and all tests that were performed met the proper standards for reliable accuracy. That means tracking and verifying that the chain of custody was maintained and the proper standards were adhered to in gathering, handling, testing, analyzing, and storing all samples and test results.

Again, this would be true in any criminal investigation and prosecution, anywhere in the world, not just Thailand.

OK...............a sensible conclusion to a sensible post............but lets suggest that the Police want to protect the sample. Would they send a sample of the real DNA or would they send false DNA and misrepresent the results? Do we have proof they actually sent DNA? ............This is not a legitimate police force we are talking about here...........these are people that spend their Saturday mornings collecting 100nbaht from scooter riders and getting involved in any money making scam they can!! PLEASE stop giving RTP legitimacy - Thai people dont!!

Some people just don't get it. It's not the Burmese DNA profile that us 'conspiracy theorists' are questioning, IT'S THE DNA PROFILES TAKEN FROM THE FEMALE VICTIM. Even though we've heard UK officials were SUPPOSED to have taken samples from the victim, WE DON'T KNOW WHETHER THEY DID. Therefore, all there is for comparison are samples taken by unqualified Thais (Ms Porntip said as much). The same unqualified Thais who have an agenda to shield the headman's family. That's also why the DNA press conference (with Nomsod) today was moot.

WE DON'T TRUST THE DNA TRAIL CRAFTED BY THAI OFFICIALDOM.

Have the Brit experts packed up and gone home? If so, that's a sad day for the victims' families and friends, and for the Burmese scapegoats. Even tho the Burmese will likely be let go for insufficient evidence, it's still been harrowing for them. They should be compensated Bt.10,000 each for each day they were falsely incarcerated.

You do realize that the semen would also have been collected during the autopsy right? I am not even sure if they would have even collected any of this from inside the victim at the scene but even if they did they certainly wouldn't have collected it all. They generally collect what they can at the scene because they can't collect and test it elsewhere.

Why would the Brits leaving be a sad thing? They will leave when they make their conclusions. I find it odd that you want to pay these two suspects money when even other conspiracy theorists actually are not so far gone as to admit they may be involved.

I can almost guarantee you the two will plead guilty because it is their only hope of seeing freedom again given the evidence against them.

One of the biggest problems in the early days of the RTP investigation was their persistence in releasing statements to the media. They made accusations about many suspects, who were later cleared. However in this plethora of released statements and information there were some good intentions namely the CCTV clip of the KT 'running man'. The then RTP Chief asked the media/public to examine the clip to identify the 'runner'. Well, surprise, surprise this is exactly what the media/public did, and what the RTP have have apparently so far failed to do, which is take a much closer look to make a positive identification. Maybe you and jdinisia should take a peek outside the 'RTP box' occasionally, and you'll find DNA isn't the only defining factor in proving the innocence/guilt of anyone. As you seem to base your postings on the RTP 'party' line do you have anything to say as to why the RTP have never made their findings known about the CCTV KT 'running man'? Unless the RTP clear up this aspect of the investigation they and not the media/public will appear to have been party to the conspiracy theory.

You are right a grainy video showing no crime of somebody who can barely be made out is much stronger evidence than an DNA match to semen in the victim, especially when the person in the low quality video turns out not to be who people thought.

police police police

Doctors collected DNA samples from village chief Woraphan Tuwichian' son to prove that he is not involved in the Koh Tao murders. /Bangkok Post

Thanks webfact. Not debating what you're posting as we know your job.

The question still remains. Which doctors? (I know that's a poor joke....its not meant to be)

• Like 1

Have the Brit experts packed up and left?

Not sure, the RTP said that Mark Kent the British Ambassador would also be attending the DNA circus today but he obviously decided not to, guess he's not keen on people speaking on his behalf.

The UK police if still here would certainly not have taken part or been witness to such a spectacle and farce. The only way this test could be recognized as fair and transparent is if it had been carried out independently.

What odds that the DNA evidence chain of custody is similar to the rest of the world.

How often is DNA used in Thailand to get evidence like this? Very rarely.

So, there has to be an original sample. Where is it kept? Is it secure? Has it been split into several parts to allow repeated testing for genuine providence?

If the original sample is not protected and real, they can't convict anyone to the same level of certainty as in more developed systems.

So, actually, this second round of testing is irrelevant if the chain of custody for the original sample isn't absolutely secure.

Nomsod did it? But he would never submit to a test if he wasn't sure he is innocent/get away with it.

Question is now. How to prove that the original sample hasnt been adulterated at all?

• Like 1

I agree there is a lot of misinformation out there, and it is hard what to believe.

But you would think if he was innocent, he would do all he could to clear his name.

If he had nothing to hide why refuse a DNA test, it makes him look guilty.

Sure it makes him look guilty... but if his alibi is solid why give it off and possible get in trouble because of a mistake.

Two sides to each coin.

Anyway there is so much misinformation there that I stay well away from this case because I simply don't know. But I do know that the guys reputation is toast even if he is cleared. Because then people like you will say the samples have been switched. He just can't win.

Personally giving DNA now would be a good thing to do and if the Brits get it too then it would really vindicate him if he is not guilty or nail him if guilty. (I dont know but I hope the Brits have a good sample)

Robblok, who said he has a solid alibi? I remember the faked CCTV images I saw amongst a lot of things I've read. Like previously stated, refusing to give a DNA shows guilt. Hell if I was innocent I would do it to clear my name?

Seems like you are sort of defending him, which looks very strange indeed. Not sure what your game is.

What If he did not want to give DNA because he was scared of being a scapegoat? Has anyone thought of that? If people are saying DNA is being switched maybe he was just scared the same would happen to him?

I do not know the facts only theories same as everyone else, please do not say I am defending I am just turning it around to another theory.

Edited by DarloKnight

If I was an Itinerant worker, working illegally on Koh Tao and had just raped and killed a girl in a frenzied brutal attack with a garden hoe and killed her boyfriend. I would stay on the island as if nothing had happened even wearing the same shirt the next day, no need to change after all (no nasty blood stains or anything).

Public boats off the island watched.

Multiple identical work shirts owned

so did the police find a blood stained shirt from the accused..? I do not think so. The shirt looks identical, but as you say it could be another from the bar. I cannot imagine how there would no stains on any of his clothing. How many shirts has he got..? is there one missing. How many days after the murder was he arrested..? plenty of time to get off regardless of being "watched" plenty of others got off OK. It just seems odd that they would just hang around after such a henious crime. There were no witnesses at all, no CCTV of them at the correct time, so it must all be hinging on DNA, which would prove rape. It would not satisfy Sherlock.

"so it must all be hinging.."

Means Motive Opportunity DNA confessions CCTV, second confession to HRC... And who knows what else??

That will certainly be the prosecution's argument if the case goes to trial.

Opportunity may be a safe bet---however if it can be shown that the two accused men left the beach before 3 a.m. then that would no longer be true. There may be/should be evidence somewhere of exactly what time they went home.

Means and Motive, the CCTV shots, and the confessions a good defense attorney would have a field day with, so the prosecutor would have his job cut out for him in those areas.

The wild cards are the DNA and the "who knows what else??"

The clear crime scene contamination is one strike against the DNA evidence ... whether it is fatal may depend on where it is ultimately shown the DNA was collected from (e.g. outside or inside of Hannah's body, where it would be exposed to contamination, or inside where it may not be). The rest depends on chain of custody, etc. etc.

Bottom line is nobody knows how solid the DNA evidence is ... if it can be proven to be solid, that is certainly a huge chit in the prosecution's favor. But as discussed earlier, proving the presence of the two accused does not prove nobody else was involved in the crimes, or that they were the murderer's. But admittedly solid reliable DNA evidence would seriously hurt the defense.

You are right, nobody knows what other evidence the prosecutor has. If he has other direct or good circumstantial evidence that would certainly help the case . . . the fact that he has asked the police to go back and find more circumstantial evidence is one indication (not conclusive in the least) as to whether he thinks he already has enough.

The flip side of that is that the defense will be able to compile its own evidence casting doubt on whether the accused committed the rape and murder.

There is nothing clear cut on either side at this point, we just don't have enough information to know.

The person who is really looking at this exact same analysis right now is the prosecutor...he knows that if he goes forward he will be under the spotlight on all of these issues.

Edited by Bleacher Bum East
  • Like 2

What If he did not want to give DNA because he was scared of being a scapegoat? Has anyone thought of that? If people are saying DNA is being switched maybe he was just scared the same would happen to him?

I do not know the facts only theories same as everyone else, please do not say I am defending I am just turning it around to another theory.

An influential person's son a scapegoat?

In Thailand?

• Like 2

Children of influential people in Thailand are never made scapegoats. You should read-up on the 'Son of Red Bull' hit/drag and run case.
  • Like 1

Children of influential people in Thailand are never made scapegoats. You should read-up on the 'Son of Red Bull' hit/drag and run case.

I know the story and there is no comparison when it comes to wealth on that one. I was just trying to turn the scenario round and ask if it was possible?