Google Apps For Education

I’ve recently setup a Google Apps For Education Account (GAFE) for the school where I work, . Although still experimenting with different methods of such things as student account creation and assignment submission, the initial groundwork is beginning to pay off. However I do have a number of points.

First of all: the information available on the internet is mainly, if not all, based upon western style education systems and experiences. I would be particularly interested to hear about the experiences of how foreign teachers here are using this, or similar, applications, as a means of implementing paperless classrooms..

Secondly: I’m not even sure that the powers that be are even aware of what I am doing. and as you can imagine, as a foreigner,getting either the school administration or Thai teachers interested is a virtual non starter. Therefore I would like to know if there are any situations where Thais themselves are participating in any similar projects.

As an aside; another recent introduction to education (or recent in these parts at least) is the “flipped classroom”. After a little albeit half hearted research, my initial response is that GAFE and the flipped classroom were made for each other. Whether Thailand is ready for them is another story.

Regards G

Good luck on the flipped classroom. It doesn't work in Japan. Students will do little work outside of the classroom, especially for English classes which many students do not want to take. So far as I know, the flipped classroom only works for well-motivated students who have a fair degree of inner direction. Many students require a teacher to direct them and motivate them. Several years ago, a colleague arrived from New Zealand where he had had good success with his students working on Internet assignments outside of class. He offered that opportunity to his students in Japan and had less than ten took him up on it. In the six classes he taught weekly, he had perhaps a few more than 130 students altogether. I hope that your students will be exceptional and that your GAFE effort will pay off. Good luck!

Hi Dog,

Thanks for your valued input. I think getting the students to work on their own initiative in the flipped classroom will be a problem here too, maybe even more so than in Japan. What I'm hoping for is that by combining the two, there are enough GAFE add ons (apps) to provide a novelty interest. For example submitting their projects in the form of a website and perhaps adding a competitive element.

The GAFE has already exceeded my expectations. Having readable assignments, presentented exactly how I want, which I file, save and access from anywhere is only one benefit. Actually being able to view, edit and comment on the assignments while the students are doing them is priceless. I have set the system up so that I have a spreadsheet with links to all assignments.

What I'm hoping for is more input like yours so that I can prepare during the closed term. In an ideal world we would have a full time administrator taking care of it. However, where I am at least, the pork will be drinking aviation fuel before that happens

Regards G